Sponsored

Fighter Jet Grey is not... Grey + My underwhelming experience of a Mach 1 "delivery"

LikeMike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1
Long story short I live near a major Ford dealership. A lot of 2021 Mustangs available including Mach 1s (none of them are MSRP or below). I took a visit and was incredibly disappointed with what I saw. For starters after the shock and awe of seeing all the Mach 1s (my main focus since I ordered one), I was incredibly disappointed with the Fighter Jet Grey color. It is not grey, it is noticeably green/bluish and more of a "light mint" color. I've been in and around several types of fighter jets, NONE have looked like this color. I understand it is very dynamic with different tones under different lighting but I just didn't like it enough despite it being "the look" for this car. I found pretty much every other color they had, looked better than this one. While nobody complains about "Fighter Jet Grey" Its already been confirmed thats its literally the same paint as cactus green grey. You can look up threads to see what others say about cactus green..... I wont go any further than to strongly advise people not to get this color without seeing it in person.

In addition the condition of these brand new cars was scary! Including several that where already purchased. Almost all were very dirty in the form of brown dust, that got deep into the external crevices of the car. The sports cup tires were caked with dirt and stained body panels from picking up whatever is on the road. It was as if the car was driven miles on unpaved road. The dealership is in an urban area and the cars get unloaded in the front, I have no clue where all the dirt is coming from. Was not a pleasant experience and was disturbing that they were receiving and/or treating some of their most expensive cars this way. I am now anticipating the need to do a lot of prep work before doing any type of PPF!
Sponsored

Last edited:

LowFlying65

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
FJG Mach1 # M3579
I had initial concerns when I first saw FJG. Looked at it in a showroom and didn't like it one bit. Looked at it in another showroom and liked it a little more. Ended up ordering FJG because I love the orange stripes and Bembros. Couldn't be happier! It looks fantastic and zero regrets. (Although if Rapid Red had been available I would have probably gone with it.) But it sounds like you're having regrets. Nobody is forcing you to buy your ordered car. I flew from CA to Iowa to buy from the awesome team at Granger. The drive back was worth every penny of the flight and gas. You should buy what you want and drive the hell out of it. IMO, the value in this car is the experience of driving it, a lot! It doesn't come from polishing it everyday and sweating resale value.

velocityblue5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Stang GT Premium, 22 F150 XLT Sport, 07 Tacoma
i love that color. i also love toyotas cement and convinced my dad to get that color on his tacoma lol and now he loves it as much. super cool grays

Atlas1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Audi S6, 2021 Mach 1 'M1985'
i love that color. i also love toyotas cement and convinced my dad to get that color on his tacoma lol and now he loves it as much. super cool grays
My trd pro 4runner was cement gray. Probably had a big influence on my Mach 1 purchase :)

Atlas1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Long story short I live near a major Ford dealership. A lot of 2021 Mustangs available including Mach 1s (none of them are MSRP or below). I took a visit and was incredibly disappointed with what I saw. For starters after the shock and awe of seeing all the Mach 1s (my main focus since I ordered one), I was incredibly disappointed with the Fighter Jet Grey color. It is not grey, it is noticeably green/bluish and more of a "light mint" color. I've been in and around several types of fighter jets, NONE have looked like this color. I understand it is very dynamic with different tones under different lighting but I just didn't like it enough despite it being "the look" for this car. I found pretty much every other color they had, looked better than this one. While nobody complains about "Fighter Jet Grey" Its already been confirmed thats its literally the same paint as cactus green. You can look up threads to see what others say about cactus green..... I wont go any further than to strongly advise people not to get this color without seeing it in person.

In addition the condition of these brand new cars was scary! Including several that where already purchased. Almost all were very dirty in the form of brown dust, that got deep into the external crevices of the car. The sports cup tires were caked with dirt and stained body panels from picking up whatever is on the road. It was as if the car was driven miles on unpaved road. The dealership is in an urban area and the cars get unloaded in the front, I have no clue where all the dirt is coming from. Was not a pleasant experience and was disturbing that they were receiving and/or treating some of their most expensive cars this way. I am now anticipating the need to do a lot of prep work before doing any type of PPF!
The ford color is cactus gray, not green. I also see bluish-green tinting to it. I love the color myself but it’s definitely not for everyone.
you know why it’s called fighter jet gray though right? Ford was not actually trying to copy the color of an f18 lol.

Sponsored

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
Was not a pleasant experience and was disturbing that they were receiving and/or treating some of their most expensive cars this way.
uh, it's a friggin' Mustang.
I am now anticipating the need to do a lot of prep work before doing any type of PPF!
uhh, you new to Ford or something? Ford's paintwork has been reprehensible for years (decades?). The factory can't be bothered to inspect their paintwork or police bad sprays, let alone panel alignment.

Staging lots are frequently dirt which leads to mud, when it you know rains. If you want to receive your car in as "good" condition as it came off the final step of the assembly line, then I suggest you go order a vehicle from Bavaria and do an in-person pickup.

Last edited:

WD Pro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lime GT
Vehicle Showcase
Long story short I live near a major Ford dealership. A lot of 2021 Mustangs available including Mach 1s (none of them are MSRP or below). I took a visit and was incredibly disappointed with what I saw. For starters after the shock and awe of seeing all the Mach 1s (my main focus since I ordered one), I was incredibly disappointed with the Fighter Jet Grey color. It is not grey, it is noticeably green/bluish and more of a "light mint" color. I've been in and around several types of fighter jets, NONE have looked like this color. I understand it is very dynamic with different tones under different lighting but I just didn't like it enough despite it being "the look" for this car. I found pretty much every other color they had, looked better than this one. While nobody complains about "Fighter Jet Grey" Its already been confirmed thats its literally the same paint as cactus green. You can look up threads to see what others say about cactus green..... I wont go any further than to strongly advise people not to get this color without seeing it in person.

Just be happy you don’t need to get a euro … lol

All your above + additional transport mess + the euro under seal where you will find more on your paintwork than under the car … :facepalm:

Other than that colours are very personal and everyone finds beauty in different things - much like picking a partner … :like:

Moaning about some other guys choice of girl on the internet is pretty much pointless - and will most likely just end up tuning into a shit storm lol

Don’t like the blonde with blue eyes ? That’s cool, just find a brunette with brown - just go with what makes you happy :like:

WD :like:

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
The Porsche Chalk is a lovely color. But the 911 car under that paint might have been an influencing factor.

FJG being modeled after a US Navy fighter would naturally have blue/green in it to be low-viz against gray storm clouds and ocean. The F16/F22 'arctic duty' paint scheme would have been a better choice.

Last edited:

velocityblue5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Stang GT Premium, 22 F150 XLT Sport, 07 Tacoma
The ford color is cactus gray, not green. I also see bluish-green tinting to it. I love the color myself but it’s definitely not for everyone.
you know why it’s called fighter jet gray though right? Ford was not actually trying to copy the color of an f18 lol.
why was it called that?

Atlas1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
why was it called that?
The Mach 1 name was chosen to highlight it as a performance vehicle. It is in some ways a tribute to aviation, specifically Gen. Yeager and breaking the speed of sound. The reason for this particular car being called fighter jet gray is a reference to that theme, i imagine influenced by Yeager being a fighter pilot. The orange accents on the appearance package are a nod to yeagers record breaking flight in glamorous glennis.
a lot of my desire to buy this car in this color was due to that history. Fun fact…..my old man flew under yeagers command in Germany. My biggest regret with this car is that I had planned on sending the glove box to him to autograph. I considered buying one to send him but decided I would just wait until the car came in. Sadly he passed away last December and I didn’t get the opportunity.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Kermut

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alex
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach M5413
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe Ford will let you change options if you have yet to be assigned a VIN. Whether or not your dealer will let you is a different matter, but if you feel that strongly about the FJG it might bear consideration.

I too am very "meh" about FJG, but it is the limited color for the Mach 1, and does denote the car as being 'special', and will likely be easier to resell if you ever go that route. That being said, I personally didn't care about any of the above and ordered Grabber Yellow 🤷‍♂️. If I was gonna order a MY '22 I think I'd land on either Grabber Blue or the new Eruption Green.

As far as the lots being dirty.....yea, that's just a classic Ford thing. Take the car to a good detailer and have them clean/paint correct and throw some ceramic on it or whatnot. That's my plan at least.

Reddirocket27

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
2018 CPO EB Prem Conv w/ 201A
I like how people think Mach 1 and GT350 are special and deserving of special treatment because they're expensive. Ford doesn't give a poop about you, or your paycheck. It's not a luxury German make, or an one-off special edition from Ferrari. It's still a mustang with horrible paint, a squeaky interior and everything else whether a stock Ecoboost or the top of the line. Dealers can't get any inventory in, new or used, and I would genuinely be surprised if they washed cars with mittens instead of just running it through the wash down the street.

IPOGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1 Velocity Blue M6
The Mach 1 name was chosen to highlight it as a performance vehicle. It is in some ways a tribute to aviation, specially Gen. Yeager and breaking the speed of sound. The reason for this particular car being called fighter jet gray is a reference to that theme, i imagine influenced by Yeager being a fighter pilot. The orange accents on the appearance package are a nod to yeagers record breaking flight in glamorous glennis.
a lot of my desire to buy this car in this color was due to that history. Fun fact…..my old man flew under yeagers command in Germany. My biggest regret with this car is that I had planned on sending the glove box to him to autograph. I considered buying one to send him but decided I would just wait until the car came in. Sadly he passed away last December and I didn’t get the opportunity.
Look in the phone book and find someone named Chuck Yeager and have him sign it. Hint- It’s still authentic. :cwl: ….I think Charles would work.

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I would genuinely be surprised if they washed cars with mittens instead of just running it through the wash down the street.
It's worse than that. The janitorial staff throw water at it and use the same gritty filthy rags they used all month to wash every car that came through the service bay and off the transport

Kermut

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alex
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach M5413
I like how people think Mach 1 and GT350 are special and deserving of special treatment because they're expensive. Ford doesn't give a poop about you, or your paycheck. It's not a luxury German make, or an one-off special edition from Ferrari. It's still a mustang with horrible paint, a squeaky interior and everything else whether a stock Ecoboost or the top of the line.
How dare you imply my Mach was built on the same line with the Ecoboost and not at a separate clean room facility /s

I bet the person that built mine finished a ecoboost c/s just before and didn’t even wash their hands
Sponsored