Few questions for new S550 owner.

speedknot

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Vehicle(s)
2014 GT 6spd, 2019 GT PP1 A10
Hi all. Just got my 2019 GT PP1. Quite an upgrade from my 2014 GT. Previous owner babied this, and with only 12,000 miles, its truly like a new car. Coming from a 2014 GT, I have a few concerns/questions about this model.

-This 10spd transmission pulls like a mule, but I noticed that it seems a bit jerky in all modes. Is the nature of the beast? I'm coming from a 6spd in my 2014 GT.

-When turning slowly, the rear end seems like its trying to turn both tires at the same time. I can feel one of the tires almost dragging a bit. Like the limited slip is not working or it has a locked rear end. Is this a Torsen thing? My 2014 didn't do this.

-Can I get ambient lighting to turn off when I start driving or does it always stay on?

- On the A10, are the gear shift indicator lights on the center console suppose to light up?

Any of your experiences are greatly appreciated.
Sponsored

ICU812

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Tempo, Ford Mustang,FFR,Crown vic.
Hi all. Just got my 2019 GT PP1. Quite an upgrade from my 2014 GT. Previous owner babied this, and with only 12,000 miles, its truly like a new car. Coming from a 2014 GT, I have a few concerns/questions about this model.

-This 10spd transmission pulls like a mule, but I noticed that it seems a bit jerky in all modes. Is the nature of the beast? I'm coming from a 6spd in my 2014 GT.
I'd look up how to remove the learnt driving actions of the p/o, iirc the car learns how the driver drives and sets the shifting to that type of use. his/hers driving and yours might be totally different and mucking up the smoothness.

-When turning slowly, the rear end seems like its trying to turn both tires at the same time. I can feel one of the tires almost dragging a bit. Like the limited slip is not working or it has a locked rear end. Is this a Torsen thing? My 2014 didn't do this. the torsen diff takes more effort to slip and this might be what you are feeling, or your 2014 was worn out, and not as tight.

-Can I get ambient lighting to turn off when I start driving or does it always stay on? not sure, have not looked to try , sorry

- On the A10, are the gear shift indicator lights on the center console suppose to light up? Hum, I never even looked, I'll have too now

19gtMD

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Aj
Vehicle(s)
19 Gt premium
So my lights on the gear shift lever don't light up either. I think I read they do not on the 19's. And go to your car settings menu(the up arrow on your steering wheel) for my vehicle and turn off your ambient lighting. As far as how it drives, you got me there, lastly if you didn't know, in your glove box, you see a small yellow tab..push it and it opens..your owners manual is in there. I just found this on mine, lol good luck

njweatherman

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tommy
Vehicle(s)
2023 Mustang GT Premium California Special

What mode do you have it in? I drive with the transmission in D and mode Sport+ (no paddle shifters). The shifts will be firm and jerky when the car is not warmed-up. After the car is warmed up, the jerkiness goes away.

- On the A10, are the gear shift indicator lights on the center console suppose to light up?
I have the 2020 and I see on the center console P R N D S. The gear that I am in lights up in orange. Also, on the center console, I see what transmission gear I am in (1..10).

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra

-When turning slowly, the rear end seems like its trying to turn both tires at the same time. I can feel one of the tires almost dragging a bit. Like the limited slip is not working or it has a locked rear end. Is this a Torsen thing? My 2014 didn't do this.

-Can I get ambient lighting to turn off when I start driving or does it always stay on?

The S550 console shifter illumination for the automatic transmission was eliminated in 2019, as was this:
1617393447267-jpeg-jpg-jpg.jpg

---

There is a new TSB for the 10R80, any Ford Service Center can update the software. You'll have to make a service appointment and take a Tech or Shop Foreman in a test drive to demo the issue. Don't leave it there and let them figure it out; 10R80 quirks need to be demo'd so that the Tech sees, feels and understands the complaint. As far as cost, not sure it may be covered under the 3/36 remaining new car, the 5/60 Powertrain OR if you have purchased an aftermarket ESP plan.
https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/th...cent-tsb’s-in-here.102918/page-3#post-3403566

--
This thread contains ALL the 10R80 info anyone needs - many links to tech hyperlinks on here, how to use paddle shifts, common issues, fluid checks, how to cool it better, TSB/SSM, and general facts about how the 10R80 operates (great reading). It's full of excellent tech on Post 1, Page 1.
https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/th...tions-to-harsh-or-no-shift-conditions.135463/

---
The rear noise (chatter) you speak of may be if the car is equipped with the Torsen rear. Common operation is that it will feel like it's grabbing or clicking when making slow maneuvers. It's just a characteristic of that type of rear. 2018+ GT and EB's Performance Package equipped with the 10R80 come standard with the 3.55 Torsen rear.

Do check the torque of the rear axle nuts, if they are loose you will hear slight clicking. This is a common talked about S550 quirk in the suspension sub-forum on here.

---

Go into main dash settings, you can change ambient lighting through those settings.

Sponsored

331GT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dennis
Vehicle(s)
1995 DFG GT vert, 2019 Oxford White GT PP1

-This 10spd transmission pulls like a mule, but I noticed that it seems a bit jerky in all modes. Is the nature of the beast? I'm coming from a 6spd in my 2014 GT.mine seems fine, try what the above poster recommended about resetting the learned driving styles. that was going to be my suggestion.

-When turning slowly, the rear end seems like its trying to turn both tires at the same time. I can feel one of the tires almost dragging a bit. Like the limited slip is not working or it has a locked rear end. Is this a Torsen thing? My 2014 didn't do this. i notice this occasionally when turning slowly on slippery surfaces, ie wet leaves or very wet pavement. my assumption has been that it is normal for the torsen on these surfaces. i never noticed anything out of the ordinary under any circumstances other than what i mentioned.

again, someone covered this.

- On the A10, are the gear shift indicator lights on the center console suppose to light up? mine DO NOT light up on the center console. i wondered about this myself, and whether there was an issue with mine, seems maybe it's normal.

took me a minute to figure out the paddle shifters- maybe you already know this, maybe not but ill say it anyways: if you have the shifter in sport (center console) and begin to use the paddles, it will hold the gear you've chosen. youll see the hear number in orange on your dash display. this is different than shifter in D but mode in sport + from the toggle, where it will shift for you at redline. i learned the hard way that shifter in S and once you use the paddles, it WILL NOT shift, and i bounced it off the rev limiter. i know at least twice, maybe 3 times, and i still cringe thinking about it. so if you have the shifter in S and begin to use the paddles, make sure to actually shift before you redline the hell out of it like i did. also, once you've used the paddles, you can hold the right paddle a few seconds to put it back into sport mode where it will upshift and downshift for you again. you'll know youve done this when the orange gear indicator on your dash display goes away. hope this helps.

905Shooter

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jake
Vehicle(s)
2017 pp mustang gt

Hey man Im happy for you with your new s550, i've heard around that the 10 speed is kinda jerky when not warm, and as far as the diff its just a Torsen thing my gt feels the same way in low speed situations going around tight corners the inside wheel feels like its spinning the same as the outside one, in rainy conditions the rear end will slide with minimal power even with traction control on. Not a problem for me though:clap:

Qcman17

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Cam
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT A10 Velocity Blue 301A
The A10 should shift very soft and smoothly in regular D mode but I find if in Sport or Sport + etc. it can be a bit abrupt and jerky of sorts at times. I tend to think that is normal for this trans but if say it jerked or banged into reverse or D when engaging those then that would not be normal.

I believe most peoples shift complaints occur in the more aggressive modes though no one actually says what mode they are in when they note them oddly enough. Just a theory I have.......:)

I am going to ask them about the new TSB Cobra posted thank you for that sir!

OP
OP

speedknot

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Vehicle(s)
2014 GT 6spd, 2019 GT PP1 A10
Great info all. Like I said, this GT is head and shoulders above my 2014 in almost every way.
When I put this thing in any other mode than normal, it reminds me of the shift kit in my old TransAm. So much to learn about this car. I'm only scratching the surface.
Sponsored