Sponsored

Feedback on keeping EB mustang with over 100k mi

3oostdmstng

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang Ecoboost
Hey guys, so what I wish to get from this thread is just feedback to help me make a decision.

I bought my '16 EB with 10k, now I have 80k in the odometer.
Along with buying the car, I bought the 100k extended warranty. So far 3 years of ownership.

Ive made sure to always get my oil changes within 5 miles intervals, they recommended brake oil change and coolant change. I am pretty sure that is all I have done so far to the car.

The extended warranty helped in the following:
- purge valve replacement 42k mi
- @ 54k miles, my CEL light came on - first and only time that happened. According to notes, O2 sensor indicating TOO lean, tech performed eec test and found p0171 -- tech advised to change INJECTORS. They were replaced.
- The air conditioning system stopped working/evaporator related @ 66K miles.

The above have been the only issues with the car.

What would you guys get serviced if planning to keep it over 100k miles?
Would it be best to trade in before?
What would Jesus do? *no disrespect**
Sponsored

Last edited:

dgc333

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
15 Mustang Ecoboost Premium
IMHO, 100k is mid life for a car. I typically keep my cars for 200k to 300k miles and that includes the 4cyl turbo cars i have been driving continuously for the past 35 years.

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
I currently owe 14k for the car.
that seems like a lot for being 3yrs into your loan. If you're gonna keep the car then set aside say 3000 for large repair. If you want to sell it, do so before you get to say 95,000 miles so there's at least some of that warranty residual left but you need to have the loan paid off when it's time to shed the car.

If you're going to 'wild' it, do it while you still have a warranty if you do manage to blow the motor sky high.

OP
OP

3oostdmstng

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang Ecoboost
that seems like a lot for being 3yrs into your loan. If you're gonna keep the car then set aside say 3000 for large repair. If you want to sell it, do so before you get to say 95,000 miles so there's at least some of that warranty residual left but you need to have the loan paid off when it's time to shed the car.

If you're going to 'wild' it, do it while you still have a warranty if you do manage to blow the motor sky high.
Yeah, the OTD price included the 2k extended warranty, a 2.5k negative equity (I traded in a car I had bought the year before - yeah, not a good financial decision and something that I would rather not think about :crackup:) and a 5.15% interest rate (pre-own rate).

Anyway, ideally, I will not be trading in the car ANY time soon since I want to AVOID any negative equity. But , this is my FIRST turbo car and I'm a bit worried about any more expensive repairs (turbo giving out?) once my warranty is DONE.

I plan on keeping it stock, all I have is mbrp catback and always run 93 octane. Tempted to trade in but I've learned to control that impulse (trying to LOL)..

Since this is my first turbo car AND first FORD, and ideally Id like to keep it to at least 120K, what should I get in terms of preventative servicing? When I take it to Ford for maintenance they tell me the car is in good shape. How about transmission? should I get that serviced? does the EB benefit from any induction servicing?

Last edited:
OP
OP

3oostdmstng

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang Ecoboost
IMHO, 100k is mid life for a car. I typically keep my cars for 200k to 300k miles and that includes the 4cyl turbo cars i have been driving continuously for the past 35 years.
This is my first TURBO car and first FORD, so Im a bit "scared" of having issues with it.
What kind of servicing have you done to your turbo cars to make them last that long?
Did you notice same performance or significant decrease in it?

Last edited:

Sponsored

OP
OP

3oostdmstng

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang Ecoboost

In terms of performance, the car still moves lol...
this was done just tonight...went out on an empty road , 75F inlet air temp, no launch , just let the car shift putting the trans in "S"..
not too shabby :clap::like:
EB mustang.jpg

dgc333

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
This is my first TURBO car and first FORD, so Im a bit "scared" of having issues with it.
What kind of servicing have you done to your turbo cars to make them last that long?
Did you notice same performance or significant decrease in it?
Service was normal owners manual recommended maintenance; grease, oil, filters, tune-ups, brake jobs, timing belts, etc. Oil was always synthetic changed on 7.5k mile intervals.

In my 35 years of driving turbo cars i have never had an internal engine or turbo failure. I have also never noticed any drop off in performance.

Blue Moon

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Pete
Vehicle(s)
17 Ecoboost Perform Pack Std
How are the wheel bearings and ball joints holding up?

OP
OP

3oostdmstng

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang Ecoboost
How are the wheel bearings and ball joints holding up?
Well the car drives smooth and with no vibrations, just lately upon *sudden* braking does a very slight vibration (not smooth) I will bring it up during my next maintenance... have any idea what that could be? brakes? what you mentioned?
I dont know much about fixing cars :facepalm: Before my mustang , I've owned 2 toyotas and one I kept to 130k mi and the only thing EVER that needed replacement was alternator at around 110k, ..and well brakes and tires..

rangerryda

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium A10
Vehicle Showcase
After 100k you should look at anything made of rubber and make sure it's not near the end of it's service life (suspension/steering/hoses/seals). Put it up on a lift and poke around under the car. If you're not experienced enough to determine these things on your own, find a reputable mechanic/dealer that can do it and most importantly show you the issues in person. I wouldn't bother until after 100k unless you have some strange wear on your tires or squeaks from the suspension/steering. Also be sure to keep an eye out for fluid leaks.

In regards to your worry about expensive repairs, as long as it's not an engine block or a transmission it should be reasonably affordable (even a turbo) if you can do the repair yourself. Chances are there's a YouTube video somewhere addressing what you're trying to do.

Financially, I wouldn't recommend eating more negative interest by trading it in. Granted a mustang isn't exactly the most frugal of car choices in the first place but a 14k balance for a 4 year old 80k mile mustang doesn't seem like something that'll be easy to get out of. Just keep enjoying it and carry GAP insurance.

Sponsored
OP
OP

3oostdmstng

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang Ecoboost
After 100k you should look at anything made of rubber and make sure it's not near the end of it's service life (suspension/steering/hoses/seals). Put it up on a lift and poke around under the car. If you're not experienced enough to determine these things on your own, find a reputable mechanic/dealer that can do it and most importantly show you the issues in person. I wouldn't bother until after 100k unless you have some strange wear on your tires or squeaks from the suspension/steering. Also be sure to keep an eye out for fluid leaks.

In regards to your worry about expensive repairs, as long as it's not an engine block or a transmission it should be reasonably affordable (even a turbo) if you can do the repair yourself. Chances are there's a YouTube video somewhere addressing what you're trying to do.

Financially, I wouldn't recommend eating more negative interest by trading it in. Granted a mustang isn't exactly the most frugal of car choices in the first place but a 14k balance for a 4 year old 80k mile mustang doesn't seem like something that'll be easy to get out of. Just keep enjoying it and carry GAP insurance.

Thanks! will keep an eye on all that.
And yes, lol as I mentioned in my other post part of my higher balance is due the 2k extended warranty PLUS 1k GAP (that you just reminded me I added) and the 2.5K neg equity I carried. If I hadnt I'd owe about 8.5 k..
SO yes, Ideally Id be keeping the car and NOT trading in anytime soon... I come from toyotas which hardly ever gave me any issues. Love my mustang but it has brought about a few more issues that gladly were taken care of by the extended warranty!

MJ2015

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
15 EB PP DIB
In my 35 years of driving turbo cars i have never had an internal engine or turbo failure. I have also never noticed any drop off in performance.[/QUOTE]

Good to hear. How many miles are on your 15 now? When do you plan on changing your trans fluid if you haven't already?

dgc333

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
In my 35 years of driving turbo cars i have never had an internal engine or turbo failure. I have also never noticed any drop off in performance.
Good to hear. How many miles are on your 15 now? When do you plan on changing your trans fluid if you haven't already?[/QUOTE]
My 15 was totaled in april 17 with 38k miles. I currently have a 17 with 42k miles.
Sponsored