Sponsored

Favorite Car You've Owned Besides Your Mustangs

accel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT PP
Honda Civic 2000 - best all around car I owned. Lightweight, double wishbone suspension at all 4 corners, 4 doors. Was equally comfortable for family drive to Disneyland, or autocross weekend. Just days ago was stolen and totalled with 240 kmiles at odometer. Feel very sad.

Honda Prelude 2001. Very refined, sensible and well mannered car. The only shortcoming was her being front wheel drive. Sold it to get RWD 4 door e90 2010 328i ZSP.

328i e90 ZSP. Was a bit of a disappointment. Had "Ultimate Driver's" car windshield sticker, but "refinement" department in Germany made it too politically correct. Gladly sold it for many reasons after 6-7 years of ownership to get a S550 GT.

2008 Mini Cooper S. Bad ass and very-very fun little car despite being front wheel drive and prominent torque steer. Mine was very unreliable evil lepricon though to the point we didn't want to drive it anywhere far from service network. The only car that needed flatbed truck to get to repairs. Finally sold it to get something better suited for active recreation.

Subaru Outback Wagon. Different kind of fun - load it with bicycles, dog, family, enjoy, or drive it to Death Valley's "offroad vehicles only", or just feel comfortable as daily. Not a performance vehicle though. Tried it once, regretted, never tried again.

Hobohunter

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
2007 Audi S4, 2016 Mustang GT/CS (sold)
Honda Prelude 2001. Very refined, sensible and well mannered car. The only shortcoming was her being front wheel drive. Sold it to get RWD 4 door e90 2010 328i ZSP.

328i e90 ZSP. Was a bit of a disappointment. Had "Ultimate Driver's" car windshield sticker, but "refinement" department in Germany made it too politically correct. Gladly sold it for many reasons after 6-7 years of ownership to get a S550 GT.
Having had an e90 330i I can definitely understand it being a bit disappointing having about 30hp and 30tq less in the same(ish) car to have a 328i. Did you get a chance to drive a 330i or 335i before you picked up the 328i?

My favorite non-mustang I've owned would have to be the 2002 M3 coupe I picked up back in 2010 for 18k. It was an absolutely insane car to be driving when I was 23. I went from the 2006 330i to the M3 and it was a crazy difference. I'd love to pick up an e46 M3 again, but they are absolutely nuts in price right now, a coworker of mine sold their's awhile back because of subframe cracking issues, and it popped up for sale again a few months ago for 27k.

A close second place would be the 2013 Scion FR-S I had for a few years, not very fast, but it handled so good, and was a little tank in the snow with some blizzaks on.

compprep

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
19 GT PP1,1986 SVO, 2020 Ridgeline(SOLD!)
2001 Audi S4. Auto as I do mostly city driving. Even so mild lowered, shocks, sway bars, APR tune, etc. Good size, rode and handled great. Problem once hit 100K miles was $300-500 every other month in maintance. The Volvo S60 T5 that replaced it big let down. Selling that nowas I have a 2020 Ridgeline pickup for all the "honey do" list as I retired a few months ago!!!

accel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT PP
Having had an e90 330i I can definitely understand it being a bit disappointing having about 30hp and 30tq less in the same(ish) car to have a 328i. Did you get a chance to drive a 330i or 335i before you picked up the 328i?
I knew hp/tq numbers before I bought it and was ok with that. It was all in the details. Anemic throttle pedal that irritated me (and others) and I had to install the booster. And whose idea was to have a clutch delat valve? Again, had to remove it. Sounded like a camry and I fixed that with BMW M performance exhaust.... Another bad idea was electric water pump - this one would break without a warning and regardless of it age, my car went through 3 of these. I lost confidence and wouldn't drive it far. No engine temperature gauge on top of that. Again had to buy some. No LSD even as an option. It was "compensateed" with extremely proactive traction control system that just cuts power even during moderate accelerations on decent tires in the rain. Ah, and 2010 had audio system that was shamed by civics radio. No oil dipstick. And I will recall more things if I spend more time on this post, but it's time to wrap thing up. Anyways, bmw lost me as a brand on this one.

Last edited:

Hobohunter

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
2007 Audi S4, 2016 Mustang GT/CS (sold)
I knew hp/tq numbers before I bought it and was ok with that. It was all in the details. Anemic throttle pedal that irritated me (and others) and I had to install the booster. And whose idea was to have a clutch delat valve? Again, had to remove it. Sounded like a camry and I fixed that with BMW M performance exhaust.... Another bad idea was electric water pump - this one would break without a warning and regardless of it age, my car went through 3 of these. I lost confidence and wouldn't drive it far. No engine temperature gauge on top of that. Again had to buy some. No LSD even as an option. It was "compensateed" with extremely proactive traction control system that just cuts power even during moderate accelerations on decent tires in the rain. Ah, and 2010 had audio system that was shamed by civics radio. No oil dipstick. And I will recall more things if I spend more time on this post, but it's time to wrap thing up. Anyways, bmw lost me as a brand on this one.
The e90s definitely took a bunch of steps away from the e46s. The only things I had to fix on mine were a TPMs issue and the footwell module that interfaced with the headlights.
Sponsored