Bobn57

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
1968 Mustang Fastback, 2021 VB, GT/CS
Vehicle Showcase
it’s a factory five mk 3 that I built about 12 years ago. Pumped up small block Ford with a T5

8CA38AE8-E2FA-4C24-A302-A8C1CE269836.jpeg
Very nice. I was at SEMAs 50th anniversary in Vegas in 2016. Factory 5 had a nice booth. They make beautiful kits. My son and I were thinking of building one but have the 68 to keep us busy. Some day 😁 cobra is my favorite

Sponsored

Bobn57

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
1968 Mustang Fastback, 2021 VB, GT/CS
Vehicle Showcase

Cwood8656

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium 401A, 2008 Toyota Tacoma PreRunner double cab
Very nice. I was at SEMAs 50th anniversary in Vegas in 2016. Factory 5 had a nice booth. They make beautiful kits. My son and I were thinking of building one but have the 68 to keep us busy. Some day 😁 cobra is my favorite
They are a GREAT time to build. Highly recommended.

Meatball

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT
I really like my 2018 FiST a lot. It's stock. All it has is some lighter wheels. I like the GT more, but just slightly more. The Fiesta is a lot of fun in traffic and a great commuter. It's not fast, but it feels plenty fast enough on the road. The Z06 I used to own would never leave the garage - compared to the Fiesta I just didn't like it.

The only other non Mustang I've owned that comes close is my '86 944. It needs just about everything, but it's still awesome to drive. If I ever get around to LS-swapping that car I think it will become my next favorite.
I thought about getting a FiST before buying my 17. Was a lot of fun in the test drives but the interior was just too plasticky and depressing. I loved/love my 17 and didnt regret my choice, but a couple of years ago I decided to do something a little different and considered selling the GT for a new (19) GT, or supercharging, or going with a 19 FiST and put in a big turbo or hybrid. The 19 was nice but very close to the same experience as my 17, not worth the $ to change, but I came close with the FiST. Would have been a ball to wrestle with the steering wheel when the big boost came in, plus a sub-2800 lb car would be super fun in the twisties. Decided to supercharge my 17 and glad I did, but I'm jealous... you have your GT AND a FiST.

Since you have another car, a stock FiST, consider supercharging your 17. Yes, reduced reliability and you need supporting mods to make it launch/drive properly, but it's insanely fast and fun acceleration-wise.

Balr14

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
BMW Z4 M40i
2019 STi. For a newer vehicle, it had that old school, big turbo feel. Wasn't always the fastest around (except off the line), but it was predictable and inspired confidence while pushing it.
I had a 2005 Forester XT, which basically had the STI engine with the WRX turbo (easily corrected). It had a 5 speed and a differential with 4.46 gears. It was pretty much all done by about 85 mph, but it could launch like it was rear-ended by a semi. It could light up all 4 tires. It was the ultimate sleeper because nobody expects an SUV to weigh 3200lbs.

I can still drive it any time I get the urge to play with a nasty 4 banger turbo. I gave it to my son-in-law with about 120k miles on it. He has made a ton of additional mods and it's now pushing 200k miles. It's still a blast to drive!

I should mention I replaced the engine with a better one at 96K miles. Horizontally opposed engines are much more effected by bore scoring.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
I thought about getting a FiST before buying my 17. Was a lot of fun in the test drives but the interior was just too plasticky and depressing. I loved/love my 17 and didnt regret my choice, but a couple of years ago I decided to do something a little different and considered selling the GT for a new (19) GT, or supercharging, or going with a 19 FiST and put in a big turbo or hybrid. The 19 was nice but very close to the same experience as my 17, not worth the $ to change, but I came close with the FiST. Would have been a ball to wrestle with the steering wheel when the big boost came in, plus a sub-2800 lb car would be super fun in the twisties. Decided to supercharge my 17 and glad I did, but I'm jealous... you have your GT AND a FiST.

Since you have another car, a stock FiST, consider supercharging your 17. Yes, reduced reliability and you need supporting mods to make it launch/drive properly, but it's insanely fast and fun acceleration-wise.
I've thought about a power adder, but I'm concerned the engine will get too hot on the road course. And I'm already worried about keeping the differential and transmission cool enough just with the stock power levels.

Yes, the FiST interior is cheap, but IMO the Mustang's is as well. I agree the Mustang interior is slightly better and the ergonomics are certainly a lot better in the Mustang as well. The 1,000 lb weight difference is probably the biggest factor in favor of the Fiesta. Well that, plus price. The Fiesta was a real bargain and it's not bad in snow, plus decent driving even in good weather. If the Mustang wasn't such a big boat I would love it a lot more.

Sponsored

Mambruh

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
I’ve only ever owned mustangs since I bought my first car but I do enjoy the wife’s 15’ Dodge Durango RT. Ordered straight from the factory and she picked it up and we love it. We were planning for future family life but needed an AWD when we lived in Idaho for a few years too.
B0D37599-6D70-4A86-9975-72BA32B501DA.jpeg

Meatball

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT
I've thought about a power adder, but I'm concerned the engine will get too hot on the road course. And I'm already worried about keeping the differential and transmission cool enough just with the stock power levels.

Yes, the FiST interior is cheap, but IMO the Mustang's is as well. I agree the Mustang interior is slightly better and the ergonomics are certainly a lot better in the Mustang as well. The 1,000 lb weight difference is probably the biggest factor in favor of the Fiesta. Well that, plus price. The Fiesta was a real bargain and it's not bad in snow, plus decent driving even in good weather. If the Mustang wasn't such a big boat I would love it a lot more.
Makes sense. Sounds like cooling mods, a high rpm IM, a tune and maybe opg/cs would be more in line if you were going to mod the engine.

No thought about a hybrid turbo in the fist?

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
Makes sense. Sounds like cooling mods, a high rpm IM, a tune and maybe opg/cs would be more in line if you were going to mod the engine.

No thought about a hybrid turbo in the fist?
Good suggestions, thanks! I may do some engine mods on the GT at some point, or if I eventually use up the Coyote on track just swap over to an aluminator like a 5.2 XS or something. That would be far in the future, hopefully. More likely is I will see the next shiny thing and trade the car in. If money were no object I'd buy another GT350. I still miss that car. If I include all Mustangs the GT350 was by far the best.

What the FiST needs the most is some sort of locking differential. I understand it's intended first and foremost to be a cheap car, but I really wish Ford had put an ediff of some kind on it. It already lights up the tires in first and second too often. It's like the Mustang in that when it rains you even have to be a little cautious in 4th and 5th gears. More so because the turbo hits at a low RPM. Yes I will get better tires once I wear out the tires it came with, and probably a tune and IC once the warranty is up. It's a 2018, but I bought it CPO, so it still has years left on the warranty. I only have 15k miles on it so far. Right now it's actually plenty fun enough for me. To be clear, I'm not saying it's fast, but it feels fast enough.

IPOGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1 Velocity Blue M6
I’ve only ever owned mustangs since I bought my first car but I do enjoy the wife’s 15’ Dodge Durango RT. Ordered straight from the factory and she picked it up and we love it. We were planning for future family life but needed an AWD when we lived in Idaho for a few years too.
B0D37599-6D70-4A86-9975-72BA32B501DA.jpeg
Those look like mustang pp wheels. Nice truck.

Dave TBG

Patiently waiting...
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 EB 201A, '86 Porsche 944
Has anyone noticed how small the current Mustang is compared to most of the cars they have fond memories of?
In my case, the opposite is true. I've got 2 favorites, both substantially smaller and lighter than my Mustang.
First up is my 944. It hasn't moved in years but I still have it, it's a couple hundred lbs lighter than stock (18lbs off the crank alone) and is about as modified as a normally aspirated 944 can get. It's about as much fun as 190hp can possibly get.
PXL_20210719_023345297~2.jpg

Second was my 1980 VW Scirocco S. Started out as 70 hp and 1950 lbs, I got it to 110+ hp and took 100lbs off of it. IIRC it ran 14.20. this was back in '83-84 and the new vettes were easy targets. Nobody expected much from a little VW or any import, it would be a few years before there were aftermarket parts for Honda's. The downside was that the lower control arms became maintenance issue, the front wheels would work their way toward the rear of the wheel wells.
Sponsored