Sponsored

Fast Ticking Sound from Gear Shift Area - FIXED!!!

22MAVXLT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Mustang GT
I drove my Daughter's 22 GT the other day to get her calipers painted and noticed hers making this same ticking noise from the trans tunnel. Her's is automatic though. The slower you go the better you hear it but it makes the noise at all speeds, climate fan off/climate fan on, radio on/radio off, makes no difference. I talked to a guy who works on Mustangs and lowered our cars and he said it may be the heat shield near the driveshaft could have fallen? I have an appointment to take it in this coming Friday to put it up on a rack and check it out. I know if I take it to Ford they are gonna say it happened because we lowered the car, so hopefully it is something super simple like the sticker issue some have had.
Sponsored

Mikeo97

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
MB
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT Convertible
I drove my Daughter's 22 GT the other day to get her calipers painted and noticed hers making this same ticking noise from the trans tunnel. Her's is automatic though. The slower you go the better you hear it but it makes the noise at all speeds, climate fan off/climate fan on, radio on/radio off, makes no difference. I talked to a guy who works on Mustangs and lowered our cars and he said it may be the heat shield near the driveshaft could have fallen? I have an appointment to take it in this coming Friday to put it up on a rack and check it out. I know if I take it to Ford they are gonna say it happened because we lowered the car, so hopefully it is something super simple like the sticker issue some have had.
Let us know what you find out. I'm in the same situation. Thanks

themage99

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Max
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Mustang Bullitt
Thanks @dgcomps for your response. Glad to hear your noise was resolved! My Bullitt was at Avis Ford for a few weeks and they claimed to have narrowed it down to the driveshaft, which they plan to replace under warranty once the part arrives. I was a little disappointed they could not point to a more specific issue or cause for the noise, but I agree that the noise does seem to be emanating from the driveshaft or the general area, so we'll see how this goes when the replacement is complete. Just waiting on the part since it is backordered for 6 weeks. Hoping they don't eventually have to dig into the transmission and that the new driveshaft solves my issue. We shall see!

themage99

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Max
Vehicle(s)
Wanted to provide an update to this thread - I had the driveshaft replaced at the dealer under warranty and the ticking sound/vibration is 100% eliminated. It’s like an entirely new car, I couldn’t be happier. For those who have a ticking sound around 25-40mph, can feel some vibration when resting your hand on the parking brake, and have ruled out the loose sticker peeling off the driveshaft, there’s a good chance the driveshaft is bad/out of balance and will need replacing. I appreciate everyone’s help and input with this issue!

dgcomps

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT, 1966 Cobra Replica
Wanted to provide an update to this thread - I had the driveshaft replaced at the dealer under warranty and the ticking sound/vibration is 100% eliminated. It’s like an entirely new car, I couldn’t be happier. For those who have a ticking sound around 25-40mph, can feel some vibration when resting your hand on the parking brake, and have ruled out the loose sticker peeling off the driveshaft, there’s a good chance the driveshaft is bad/out of balance and will need replacing. I appreciate everyone’s help and input with this issue!
Max,
Glad it worked out for you.

Sponsored

themage99

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Max
Vehicle(s)
Max,
Just curious, but what made the dealer think the driveshaft was the problem?
The dealer spent a lot of time trying to diagnose the issue, but the tricky part was that they were having a difficult time hearing the noise while it was on the hoist. Could easily hear it and feel the handbrake vibrating during driving. They essentially determined the driveshaft could be the only culprit, based on the consistency of the noise and the location it was coming from, along with the fact there was vibration, so they figured replacing it would be the best bet to see what happens. Turns out they were right and it fixed the noise completely. Now maybe it was a bad U-joint, or the driveshaft itself, but either way, they took a chance on replacing it and its components and ended up getting it right.

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
I had the head shield on the driveshaft collar start rattling. Its just a small piece of metal with two rivels and it had shaken the rivels slightly loose. One piece of metal tape on it and solved

dgcomps

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
The dealer spent a lot of time trying to diagnose the issue, but the tricky part was that they were having a difficult time hearing the noise while it was on the hoist. Could easily hear it and feel the handbrake vibrating during driving. They essentially determined the driveshaft could be the only culprit, based on the consistency of the noise and the location it was coming from, along with the fact there was vibration, so they figured replacing it would be the best bet to see what happens. Turns out they were right and it fixed the noise completely. Now maybe it was a bad U-joint, or the driveshaft itself, but either way, they took a chance on replacing it and its components and ended up getting it right.
Thanks Max. I've never had a vibration, and I'm looking for it. I still have a little "clicking", but nothing like it was. Yesterday, I changed the trans fluid to BG and wow what a difference. After a few test miles, the trans shifts like butter.

dgcomps

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
Thanks Max. I've never had a vibration, and I'm looking for it. I still have a little "clicking", but nothing like it was. Yesterday, I changed the trans fluid to BG and wow what a difference. After a few test miles, the trans shifts like butter.
An update - With Max's response to my question about the driveshaft, I went back to the dealer (Varsity AG) to see what they thought (besides me being crazy) about the slight noise I'm still having coming from the transmission area.

I fully admit that I'm over the top about my cars, but Varsity agreed without any hesitation to install a new driveshaft. After I picked up the car yesterday and driving it around, the noise is totally gone.

Like Max said " It’s like an entirely new car ".

Sponsored

hoteldelta

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chad
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT Premium PP2
An update - With Max's response to my question about the driveshaft, I went back to the dealer (Varsity AG) to see what they thought (besides me being crazy) about the slight noise I'm still having coming from the transmission area.

I fully admit that I'm over the top about my cars, but Varsity agreed without any hesitation to install a new driveshaft. After I picked up the car yesterday and driving it around, the noise is totally gone.

Like Max said " It’s like an entirely new car ".
I’m glad I finally found this thread where other people have had a similar issue! 2020 GT with 22k miles. At 25mph it sounds like a playing card in a bicycle wheel along with an odd vibration and then it all disappears between 35-40. I had a 2017 with the driveshaft sticker issue so that was the first thing I checked but no dice. So I wound up at the dealer. They determined it to have, “internal transmission issues”. They’ve ordered a new transmission and will be replacing it this week under warranty. Fingers crossed this will fix it!
Chad

dgcomps

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
I’m glad I finally found this thread where other people have had a similar issue! 2020 GT with 22k miles. At 25mph it sounds like a playing card in a bicycle wheel along with an odd vibration and then it all disappears between 35-40. I had a 2017 with the driveshaft sticker issue so that was the first thing I checked but no dice. So I wound up at the dealer. They determined it to have, “internal transmission issues”. They’ve ordered a new transmission and will be replacing it this week under warranty. Fingers crossed this will fix it!
Chad
If you still have the noise after the new transmission is installed, have them replace the driveshaft. Talking to engineers and mechanics in the area, we all suspect that the driveshaft was the culprit all along. Even after my trans was replaced the noise was getting louder the more I drove it. I think the driveshaft had damaged the internals in the the original trans was starting to damage the new one as well.

Check for vibration at the e-brake handle at the speeds you have the noise.

Hope everything works out.
Dave

hoteldelta

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chad
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT Premium PP2
If you still have the noise after the new transmission is installed, have them replace the driveshaft. Talking to engineers and mechanics in the area, we all suspect that the driveshaft was the culprit all along. Even after my trans was replaced the noise was getting louder the more I drove it. I think the driveshaft had damaged the internals in the the original trans was starting to damage the new one as well.

Check for vibration at the e-brake handle at the speeds you have the noise.

Hope everything works out.
Dave
Thanks. I fully intend on making sure it gets 100% fixed. I’m over the top with my cars as well and want this sorted out for good. The vibration I had was extremely noticeable so hopefully if there’s still any sort of vibration after the new transmission, they’ll dig deeper and look at the driveshaft.

shobotan

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
RSPEC Mustang
By way of a PSA of sorts, I had a similar ticking style noise in a manual MY20 that was speed dependent and appeared to be a driveshaft issue. Most prominent around the 30-35mph in third or fourth, only someone who would regularly drive car would notice the noise, it wasn't loud.
Did the sticker check, removed a lot of dirt that had accumulated on top of the mufflers as I thought there may have been some rubbing on the driveshaft. No Luck.
Took it to the dealer and I was lucky that they put one of their master techs on to it who at least agreed there was some sort of issue. The noise was eventually diagnosed as a failed driveshaft bearing.
Ford replaced the entire driveshaft under warranty. Noise has now gone completely.

nikkolaus

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nikkolaus
Vehicle(s)
Ruby Red 2017 Ford Mustang EcoBoost Fastback
Vehicle Showcase
Just wanted to throw this video out there, since it's along the same lines as what the original post had for the title...
When I'm in my Automatic L4 / i4 2017 Mustang EcoBoost (Non-P.P.) it has a really quiet, but still noticeable, rythmic ticking or tapping from the dash and engine area. I really only notice this issue when I'm sitting stationary at a stop. It stops ticking when the engine is rev'd and returns when the RPMs drop lower. I haven't had any issues with handling, shifting, or accelerating. I have no idea what can cause it. I have not gone to listen for the noise under the hood. Was thinking maybe someone had a similar experience, and wanted to get the information out there... It's been doing it for quite a while.. at least 2-3 years...

Check out the YouTube video.
Please be aware that the audio volume was enhanced to allow for hearing of the noise. However, you can still hear it in person. It's not some tiny barely-audible noise, in person. It is noticeable. It's just hard to get on video.
Sponsored