Sponsored

Factory cat delete?

Joemomma22

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Magnetic GT PP
So my intercooler is on order, and ill be getting a catch can soon as well. once theyre both installed, im looking towards the downpipe options.

Currently my exhaust system is factory downpipe, factory exhaust with resonator deleted and roush "axleback activ8". and yes the activ8 is openned. So being that there are several transitions between 2, 2.5 and 3 i think throughout the exhaust, does an expensive aftermarket downpipe make sense right now? Point being is that i can have the cat cut out and a pipe welded in in its place probably for free at my muffler shop. is that a viable solution?? has anyone ever done this? I assume i wont get all the benefits of a proper downpipe without a matching exhaust, but deleting the cat removes the biggest restriction. Inputs? Opinions? Obviously once i save a bit more over the next few months ill get a proper turbo back.
Sponsored

TEXAS HEAT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP1 A10
Any flow improvements you make on the exhaust side of the turbo are going to yield some gain, whether it be efficiency, power, or both. Typically a true 3" catless downpipe will be best in terms of flow, however removing any restrictions in the exhaust is going to help not hurt. That being said, you can still make excellent power with the factory downpipe and convertor.

ETS Michael

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.extremeturbosystems.com
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
Ecoboost Mustang
Typically a true 3" catless downpipe will be best in terms of flow, however removing any restrictions in the exhaust is going to help not hurt.
This is correct.

The factory downpipe restricts down right before the catback connection. I recommend a full 3" downpipe upgrade as well.

Thanks,

Michael

OP
OP

Joemomma22

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Magnetic GT PP
This is correct.

The factory downpipe restricts down right before the catback connection. I recommend a full 3" downpipe upgrade as well.

Thanks,

Michael
Well of course. Eventually I'll go full 3" turbo back. But for now is that a thing? I've never heard of someone deleting the cat and keeping the rest somewhat factory

OP
OP

Joemomma22

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Magnetic GT PP
bump. really curious if anyones done this or thinks its viable

Sponsored

2015 Silver GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ingot Silver GT Premium
Don't you have strict emission testing in New Jersey?

OP
OP

Joemomma22

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Magnetic GT PP
Don't you have strict emission testing in New Jersey?
Well yes but new cars get 5 year inspection from the dealership. I wouldn't need to worry about that until 2021
Sponsored