Sponsored

FA says 2024 GT still the same 450 hp!

17Magnetic5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 premium mustang gt black accent package
I’m thinking with their whole locked ecu thing they might go with a very conservative 450hp tune and once you go through a partner for a tune the gains would seem even larger from a tune only making them attractive but now once you tune the car with say a roush tune then they are responsible for covering your power train and ford is off the hook.
Sponsored

First Stang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Mustang Mach1
I think its the CAFE standards that is responsible for the demise of these magnificent engines. Its the reason Dodge is stopping production and why the s650 is the last muscle car v8. Thanks to the electric models, Ford was able to extend the v8 a bit longer. Get it before its gone and Im glad I’m doing it. My guess is that the final HP numbers wont be fixed until Ford gets their final fleet average for fuel economy and thanks to the new ‘computerized tune lock’, you can bet its an easy last minute setting for Ford. As far as messing with it though…..thats another story.

March 31, 2022: NHTSA Finalizes CAFE Standards for MYs 2024-2026
After reviewing the tens of thousands of public comments submitted on NHTSA’s August 2021 Proposal for MYs 2024-2026 CAFE Standards and accompanying Draft Supplemental Environmental Impact Statement, NHTSA finalizes CAFE Standards for MYs 2024-2026. The final rule establishes standards that would require an industry-wide fleet average of approximately 49 mpg for passenger cars and light trucks in model year 2026, by increasing fuel efficiency by 8% annually for model years 2024 and 2025, and 10% annually for model year 2026. The agency projects the final standards will save consumers nearly $1,400 in total fuel expenses over the lifetimes of vehicles produced in these model years and avoid the consumption of about 234 billion gallons of gas between model years 2030 to 2050. The agency also projects the standards will cut greenhouse gases from the atmosphere, reduce air pollution, and reduce the country’s dependence on oil.

MAGS1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
I think its the CAFE standards that is responsible for the demise of these magnificent engines. Its the reason Dodge is stopping production and why the s650 is the last muscle car v8. Thanks to the electric models, Ford was able to extend the v8 a bit longer. Get it before its gone and Im glad I’m doing it. My guess is that the final HP numbers wont be fixed until Ford gets their final fleet average for fuel economy and thanks to the new ‘computerized tune lock’, you can bet its an easy last minute setting for Ford. As far as messing with it though…..thats another story.

After reviewing the tens of thousands of public comments submitted on NHTSA’s August 2021 Proposal for MYs 2024-2026 CAFE Standards and accompanying Draft Supplemental Environmental Impact Statement, NHTSA finalizes CAFE Standards for MYs 2024-2026. The final rule establishes standards that would require an industry-wide fleet average of approximately 49 mpg for passenger cars and light trucks in model year 2026, by increasing fuel efficiency by 8% annually for model years 2024 and 2025, and 10% annually for model year 2026. The agency projects the final standards will save consumers nearly $1,400 in total fuel expenses over the lifetimes of vehicles produced in these model years and avoid the consumption of about 234 billion gallons of gas between model years 2030 to 2050. The agency also projects the standards will cut greenhouse gases from the atmosphere, reduce air pollution, and reduce the country’s dependence on oil.
Remember though that Farley himself said the S650 is not necessarily the last V8 (or ICE Mustang for that matter). They have done enough in the fleet to meet the standards, the V8 Mustang can live on beyond the S650 of there’s enough consumer demand. Dodge was short sighted and did nothing within their fleet so now the Charger and Challenger have to pay the price.

saleen367

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1 HP N3451 2015 Focus

There is so much about this that I could say but won't because this is a family channel. Things like government overreach, regulatory agencies and political agendas. I probably went too far already. 🙄

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
There is so much about this that I could say but won't because this is a family channel. Things like government overreach, regulatory agencies and political agendas. I probably went too far already. 🙄
You didn’t go too far…

but for crying out loud - what nimrod comes up with a 49mpg figure for ANY ICE passenger vehicle? Is this one of those Greenies who seems to think that going full electric is the answer and the solution? It’s causing more destruction to the planet to mine the materials needed for the damn batteries, let alone the fact that no world grid can or will be able to support full electric (can’t even use A/C in the summer moths in some States w/o warnings)…. Then there’s the whole battery life expectancy and the things polluting landfills….

Don’t even get me started…. That whole NHTSA article pisses me off…. No one is looking at the big picture at all - full electric isn’t the answer…. And the damage being done to the planet to do it will be far worse than the last 100+ years of ICE.

Sponsored

RagmopInKona

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang HHP
You didn’t go too far…

but for crying out loud - what nimrod comes up with a 49mpg figure for ANY ICE passenger vehicle? Is this one of those Greenies who seems to think that going full electric is the answer and the solution? It’s causing more destruction to the planet to mine the materials needed for the damn batteries, let alone the fact that no world grid can or will be able to support full electric (can’t even use A/C in the summer moths in some States w/o warnings)…. Then there’s the whole battery life expectancy and the things polluting landfills….

Don’t even get me started…. That whole NHTSA article pisses me off…. No one is looking at the big picture at all - full electric isn’t the answer…. And the damage being done to the planet to do it will be far worse than the last 100+ years of ICE.
EV'S are a stop gap, just like CFL light bulbs were till led's prices got low enough to take over the market.
Fuel cells will be the led, the ev is the cfl.

Gregs24

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
Mustang V8 GT, Ford Kuga PHEV
EV'S are a stop gap, just like CFL light bulbs were till led's prices got low enough to take over the market.
Fuel cells will be the led, the ev is the cfl.
Probably about right - although of course FCEV's are electric vehicles with smaller batteries, so actually in reality not much different.

Gregs24

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
Mustang V8 GT, Ford Kuga PHEV
You didn’t go too far…

But then that is looking on the distinctly negative and parochial side

Plenty of places in the world where EV's work, the HV batteries have been shown to last the life of the vehicle and more (from experience where EV's have been in use for 10+ years) and some countries have grids that can cope. Old EV batteries don't go into landfill - they get recycled.

49mpg (US) is pretty tough, but 49mpg (imp) is somewhat easier and possible.

Doug V

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT
https://fordauthority.com/2022/11/h...the-2024-ford-mustang-gt-will-make-exclusive/

That’s fine, hey after all if you think about it 450 is still a lot for a street car and these things are certainly thrilling to drive.

It‘s just that it seems that they had us primed to expect a little bump over the S550 and evidently it isn’t coming. I know the “close to 500” (whatever the heck that means) only applies to the DH, but who knows how much that will cost. Don’t forget to add in the obligatory ADM!

I personally have a slight preference for the looks of the S550 over the S650 but would have considered a ‘24 if there was a decent hp bump. But now all of a sudden I feel a whole lot better about buying 2 new S550s since July. A whole lot better! I really wouldn’t give you 10 cents for most of the other stuff and some of it I don’t like at all.

How about any of you guys?
2020-21 had 460. They dropped 10 in the 2022-23. Looks like they are carrying over in 2024.
Sponsored