F80 M3 v.s E92 M3 v.s GT350

Cue_5oh

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Niko
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT
I have owned an F80 M3, an E92 M3 and test drove the GT350.
In my opinion, the E92 was fun, nimble and had personality.
The F80 M3 was a track monster with a lot of driver assist and with basic mods was very fast for its class.
The GT350 had the American rumble, the handling and even though maintenance can be more costly than the other 3 excluding possibly the E92 M3 as that has very specific oil as well, the GT350 probably would give the most headache free experience while providing much fun and modern feel.

Can't go wrong with either but the F80 M3 would probably be the best daily, the E92 M3 would be perfect years ago in this field but so many different new options unless you want to go back in time, I would skip the S65 platform as fun as it is unless you have a second car.
Sponsored

OP
OP
Driv3n to Dr1ve

Driv3n to Dr1ve

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang v6 6 speed manual
I’ve arrived at a similar conclusion. F80 is the most reliable m3 as of now (g80 is still too new to tell). Gt350’s are too expensive for what they are imo, and I don’t want another s550 yet. S65 is an ideal second car.

SRT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Viper, '21 M2 Competition, '22 S1000RR
Don't get the e92 M3, my detailer is ocd and spent $25k to have his done up with a stout parts and everything taken care of in the car.
Especially if you're tracking, I would not go v8 m3, as nice as they are...

Between the two F80 M3 or GT350, I think getting a GT350 is the answer, you'll fall in love with the sound. The 6 cylinder M3 will never sound as good as a v8. Get a 2019/2020 GT350.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
It depends on what is important to you.. The E92 has a really nice cabin and the exterior design is understated/mature but it's nearly the same weight as a GT350 with 100 less HP.

E92 engine repairs will cost more but the methods are probably more sorted than repairs for Voodoo engine issues (which I think are overblown on these forums). I drove my GT350 a TON in all kinds of conditions and the Voodoo engine is great IMO.

Engine aside, the Ford manual shift quality and transmission isn't quite as good as BMW, but IMO they are fine and for me this doesn't really enter into the decision.

On the other hand, the GT350 brakes are stellar and one of a kind in my experience. To me the GT350 brakes are nearly as much of a motivating factor for buying the Shelby as the Voodoo engine itself. Awesome immediacy and pedal feel. They can make a little noise if they never get used hard, but use them hard a few times and you will fix that issue.

The GT350 interior is pretty MEH, so if that's very important to you, then you know what to do. Since you are currently a Mustang owner, I assume it's not a huge deal for you.

The newer Bimmer - I understand the turbo straight sixes make good power and the interior is good looking - but I think the switch gear is cheap and I don't trust the interior build quality at all from my experiences driving lightly used versions briefly from a dealership. If stoplight to stoplight torque/power and a newer vehicle are key factors and you really prefer a better interior but don't care about track enjoyment, possibly the newer BMW is for you? I'm trying to leave some of my bias out but I'm sure it's showing. I considered an M2 because I think the biggest flaw of the S550 is the large size. However, after driving a newer M4 I decided the GT350 was much better - mostly because I love the Voodoo engine. I think the Voodoo makes driving enjoyable and it doesn't matter what speed you are traveling. The BMW sixes are functional but I don't enjoy the sound or the power delivery.

OP
OP
Driv3n to Dr1ve

Driv3n to Dr1ve

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
It depends on what is important to you.. The E92 has a really nice cabin and the exterior design is understated/mature but it's nearly the same weight as a GT350 with 100 less HP.

E92 engine repairs will cost more but the methods are probably more sorted than repairs for Voodoo engine issues (which I think are overblown on these forums). I drove my GT350 a TON in all kinds of conditions and the Voodoo engine is great IMO.

Engine aside, the Ford manual shift quality and transmission isn't quite as good as BMW, but IMO they are fine and for me this doesn't really enter into the decision.

On the other hand, the GT350 brakes are stellar and one of a kind in my experience. To me the GT350 brakes are nearly as much of a motivating factor for buying the Shelby as the Voodoo engine itself. Awesome immediacy and pedal feel. They can make a little noise if they never get used hard, but use them hard a few times and you will fix that issue.

The GT350 interior is pretty MEH, so if that's very important to you, then you know what to do. Since you are currently a Mustang owner, I assume it's not a huge deal for you.

The newer Bimmer - I understand the turbo straight sixes make good power and the interior is good looking - but I think the switch gear is cheap and I don't trust the interior build quality at all from my experiences driving lightly used versions briefly from a dealership. If stoplight to stoplight torque/power and a newer vehicle are key factors and you really prefer a better interior but don't care about track enjoyment, possibly the newer BMW is for you? I'm trying to leave some of my bias out but I'm sure it's showing. I considered an M2 because I think the biggest flaw of the S550 is the large size. However, after driving a newer M4 I decided the GT350 was much better - mostly because I love the Voodoo engine. I think the Voodoo makes driving enjoyable and it doesn't matter what speed you are traveling. The BMW sixes are functional but I don't enjoy the sound or the power delivery.
Ultimately driving these cars will help me decide, so I’ve booked a dct f82 m4 on Turo. I’ll probably test drive a GT350, but I’m more interested to try a new platform unless a GT350 is that good. Issue is 2019-2020 GT350’s are quite more expensive than the f82 m4’s. With my GT costing $25,000 I seriously doubt a GT350 at $75,000 is 3x the driving experience. Plus from my research, and f8x bmw is more reliable than a gt350.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Driv3n to Dr1ve

Driv3n to Dr1ve

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Don't get the e92 M3, my detailer is ocd and spent $25k to have his done up with a stout parts and everything taken care of in the car.
Especially if you're tracking, I would not go v8 m3, as nice as they are...

Between the two F80 M3 or GT350, I think getting a GT350 is the answer, you'll fall in love with the sound. The 6 cylinder M3 will never sound as good as a v8. Get a 2019/2020 GT350.
I like the sound, but with prices for 2019 gt350’s and reliability issues I’m not sure the experience is worth 3x my GT…I’ll test drive both, but the gt350 will have to be the best car ever lol. Also I love manual, but I’m interested in trying a DCT which obviously an f80/f82 will have.

bnightstar

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Hristofor
Vehicle(s)
2013 Ford Fiesta 1.25i, 2017 GB Ford Mustang GT PP Premium
Vehicle Showcase
I like the sound, but with prices for 2019 gt350’s and reliability issues I’m not sure the experience is worth 3x my GT…I’ll test drive both, but the gt350 will have to be the best car ever lol. Also I love manual, but I’m interested in trying a DCT which obviously an f80/f82 will have.
In terms of track capabilities My GT race with the 3 cars in question without the GT350. The BMW's only the M2/M4's are constantly faster than the GT but this also include a lot of mods on the M2/M4 front anything else is slower on track. No need to spend money on a new car if your goal is a track car and frankly anything older than an S550 GT is a step back. My current cars of interest are Supra, G87 M2, G80 M3. This are new cars that are reasonably priced or close in price to a Dark Horse and will be great track cars faster than an F80 M3/M4 and same maintenance. Ether way I still thing current gen S550 could be great as a dual purpose daily/track car.

OP
OP
Driv3n to Dr1ve

Driv3n to Dr1ve

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
In terms of track capabilities My GT race with the 3 cars in question without the GT350. The BMW's only the M2/M4's are constantly faster than the GT but this also include a lot of mods on the M2/M4 front anything else is slower on track. No need to spend money on a new car if your goal is a track car and frankly anything older than an S550 GT is a step back. My current cars of interest are Supra, G87 M2, G80 M3. This are new cars that are reasonably priced or close in price to a Dark Horse and will be great track cars faster than an F80 M3/M4 and same maintenance. Ether way I still thing current gen S550 could be great as a dual purpose daily/track car.
My s550 has been great as a dual purpose platform. A larger motivation for swapping cars at this point is the mileage of my car. It’s hit 100k, so will require refreshed timing components. Also the value will fall off a cliff as they rack up, so I’d like to take advantage of the market soon. The f80 is appealing to me because of styling, motor, and price. G80 would be nice too!

bnightstar

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Hristofor
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
My s550 has been great as a dual purpose platform. A larger motivation for swapping cars at this point is the mileage of my car. It’s hit 100k, so will require refreshed timing components. Also the value will fall off a cliff as they rack up, so I’d like to take advantage of the market soon. The f80 is appealing to me because of styling, motor, and price. G80 would be nice too!
I agree with that way of thinking but why buying older and more expansive car like F80 to save value ? You envision F80 M3's keeping value now that the G80 is out and better ? BMW is not the brand that comes to mind when you say price stability. My point is that even losing value in the S550 or doing expensive maintenance to the engine it will be cheaper than loosing money on F80/G80 depreciation. If you are settled on an F80 M3 than go for it.

OP
OP
Driv3n to Dr1ve

Driv3n to Dr1ve

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I agree with that way of thinking but why buying older and more expansive car like F80 to save value ? You envision F80 M3's keeping value now that the G80 is out and better ? BMW is not the brand that comes to mind when you say price stability. My point is that even losing value in the S550 or doing expensive maintenance to the engine it will be cheaper than loosing money on F80/G80 depreciation. If you are settled on an F80 M3 than go for it.
No I’m not considering an f80 because of speculative long term value. First, I’d like to try an M3 platform for fun, and the f80 is the most reliable used m3. Second, my mustang’s value based on mileage will continue to drop, so getting the best return from this used market would be ideal. The mustang is a fun car, but something new is fun.

Sponsored

bnightstar

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Hristofor
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
No I’m not considering an f80 because of speculative long term value. First, I’d like to try an M3 platform for fun, and the f80 is the most reliable used m3. Second, my mustang’s value based on mileage will continue to drop, so getting the best return from this used market would be ideal. The mustang is a fun car, but something new is fun.
Fair enough by all means go for it ! I do think the M3 is a nice car but they are very common in Europe so it's nothing I'm really impressed with. As I said for me the F80 could and is a fast car when you mod it and get it to the 700 hp mark but probably so is a Mustang.

OP
OP
Driv3n to Dr1ve

Driv3n to Dr1ve

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fair enough by all means go for it ! I do think the M3 is a nice car but they are very common in Europe so it's nothing I'm really impressed with. As I said for me the F80 could and is a fast car when you mod it and get it to the 700 hp mark but probably so is a Mustang.
Hah, that’s funny since here in the US mustangs are super basic and common. Big power hasn’t been a priority since I’ve gotten into tracking, my current FBO GT with 450 whp is plenty. I guess I’m getting older now at 25 and a plush, mostly stock, DCT m3 seems appealing compared to my long tube header coyote. Although owning both would be really fun.

MarkM

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
I came to Mustang from an F82 DCT competition pack car, they are fantastic, in nearly 4 years with mine the only issue was a high tone horn that was changed under warranty. The major service is a bit eye watering but over the 4 years is wasn’t an expensive car to run.
Bootmod3 makes them very easy to tune at home.

As much as I loved it, I wouldn’t go back, the Mustang just has something special for me, also the S55 exhaust note can’t compare to an S550!
IMG_3551.jpeg