Sponsored

F80 M3 v.s E92 M3 v.s GT350

Driv3n to Dr1ve

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang v6 6 speed manual
So, I’ve been contemplating swapping out my 2015 GT for one of these cars. My GT has been a fun project to modify, but at this point I’m feeling ready to take the next step into a new platform. It would be a daily driver, and occasional track car. However my next job will be over 50% remote so it won’t accrue serious miles like my GT. Looking at spending $45,000.

I’ve always felt like an M car would be a great evolution. The e92 is a car I’ve wanted for a while, and from driving a DCT one the engine is phenomenal.
Pros: high revving v8, premium feel, rare as the only v8 m3, potential to break even through ownership. Probably the most affordable option
Cons: feels slow, not as raw (the car I drove was tuned, test pipes, catback), upfront preventative maintenance and potential catastrophic failure.
F80 is just such a gorgeous car. I don’t necessarily need 4 doors, but it looks far better than the m4 imo.
Pros: turbos, easily tuned, luxurious, manual.
Cons: sound. Forums are full of people finding the least crap exhaust. I personally don’t mind it that much, but good exhaust are very tough to find. Also crank hub

GT350 is probably the most natural evolution.
Pros: 5.2, great handling, manual trans

Cons: price, I’d just need to save more, or get a higher mileage example. it’s still an s550, so wouldn’t feel as new, or as much of an evolution.

Thoughts?

CFAD388C-9A55-4EE4-A5FB-2F6E45D3DACF.jpeg
Sponsored

Egparson202

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT350, 2018 Audi TTRS
Coming from a long history with BMW’s, I considered the E92 M3 for all the same reasons. Then I drove the Shelby and fell in love. No regrets.

OP
OP
Driv3n to Dr1ve

Driv3n to Dr1ve

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Coming from a long history with BMW’s, I considered the E92 M3 for all the same reasons. Then I drove the Shelby and fell in love. No regrets.
I do think the gt350 is an evolution of the e92 m3 formula. F80 is enticing but I think I’d miss a v8.

Mspider

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT
I bought a E92 M3 with a DCT back when they were still selling new. Put 44k miles on one, so I am pretty familiar with them. To this day that engine is my favorite. I don`t think a lot of people really understand the significance of that engine. Besides certain exotic cars, the S65 V8 is one of the most motorsports derived engine to be mass produced. The induction noise is still in a class of its own. I mean look at those individual throttle bodies! This what you call proper throttle response.
bmw_s65_engine_2.jpg

Then BMW decided to create that thing they call the F8x M3/4 which sounds terrible.

Only real problem with getting a E92 M3 would be repair bills and questionable reliability. The F8x is newer and probably going to give you less problems, but I refuse to own one due to sound alone.

I think I would try a GT350 before buying another E92. Its a newer engine with more support and its got more power. Still very special engine.

OppoLock

RWD Addict
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sean
Vehicle(s)
'15 GT, '20 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
I had my ‘15 GT for five years and nearly 100k miles before getting my ‘20 GT350. Let me tell you, they feel like two entirely different cars. Completely reignited my love for the platform. I’d go GT350 if you could.

I also owned an E92 335i a decade ago and have driven the E92 M3 extensively. Different feeling altogether and not as sporty as I’d like it to be relative to the Shelby. Also, I personally think the F80 is the ugliest generation of them all. They kind of have a squinting mouse face up front and there are so many lines they almost look… old? If cars could age? Like wrinkly lol. Never cared for the front or rear of any iteration, nor the sound. But the interiors and powertrain are excellent and leagues above either other option in this scenario.

edit: I thought we were talking about the F30 M3. To be honest, I dig the F80 M3 a lot. I’d go F80 lol.

Sponsored

Mspider

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT
I had my ‘15 GT for five years and nearly 100k miles before getting my ‘20 GT350. Let me tell you, they feel like two entirely different cars. Completely reignited my love for the platform. I’d go GT350 if you could.

I also owned an E92 335i a decade ago and have driven the E92 M3 extensively. Different feeling altogether and not as sporty as I’d like it to be relative to the Shelby. Also, I personally think the F80 is the ugliest generation of them all. They kind of have a squinting mouse face up front and there are so many lines they almost look… old? If cars could age? Like wrinkly lol. Never cared for the front or rear of any iteration, nor the sound. But the interiors and powertrain are excellent and leagues above either other option in this scenario.

edit: I thought we were talking about the F30 M3. To be honest, I dig the F80 M3 a lot. I’d go F80 lol.
No such thing as the F30 M3, the F80 M3 is the generation that came after the E90 series.

The newest generation M3/4 is G80.

Mikepol2

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1, 2019 Ram 1500
My neighbor has had 3 M3’s and an M4. His E92 motor failed due to a broken valve spring at around 75,000 miles. If I remember correctly he spent $13,000 on two new cylinder heads and then ended up getting rid of it.

I’ve driven them and always came away feeling like this is the fastest Camry ever.

OP
OP
Driv3n to Dr1ve

Driv3n to Dr1ve

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
My neighbor has had 3 M3’s and an M4. His E92 motor failed due to a broken valve spring at around 75,000 miles. If I remember correctly he spent $13,000 on two new cylinder heads and then ended up getting rid of it.

I’ve driven them and always came away feeling like this is the fastest Camry ever.
I certainly can’t ignore the underwhelming feeling I had after driving my friend’s e90. It’s a car I want to love, hence why I’m curious if a manual would make it better. I love the induction noise and high redline, feels like a car that needs to be driven at the limit. So now I really want to drive a manual f80 to see.

OppoLock

RWD Addict
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sean
Vehicle(s)
'15 GT, '20 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
No such thing as the F30 M3, the F80 M3 is the generation that came after the E90 series.

The newest generation M3/4 is G80.
That’s what I meant. Either way, the F30 3XX/F80 M3 (and their 4er counterparts) were ugly as sin imo.

Sponsored

Mspider

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT

WItoTX

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kyle
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
I debated the E92 M3 before I got my GT350. Both cars have reliability issues on the engines. Ford is made here, meaning parts are much more readily available. The BMW is not. The Ford is a Frankenstein motor, which is good and bad. The E92 motor is the typical FPC crank design. The GT350 has a racecar pedigree, the M3 looks like a businessman car.

My experience was it was nearly impossible to find an unmolested E92 at a reasonable price, cars that had the rod bears preventatively fixed also had other mods I did not want, and the car was way more than I was willing to pay for a 10 year old platform. The user interface of a 10 year old car sucked, it was like the Vtech days of laptops. The BMW had stuff you knew was a ticking time bomb (Like the seat belt arm which pushed the belt to you when you shut the door, and 8 throttle bodies).

That said, both the GT350 and the E92 M3 are special cars. I love my GT350, but I would love the M3 as well. Both cars have a potential for a personality, which is something non-car people will never understand. Good luck on your decision!

OppoLock

RWD Addict
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sean
Vehicle(s)
'15 GT, '20 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
I debated the E92 M3 before I got my GT350. Both cars have reliability issues on the engines. Ford is made here, meaning parts are much more readily available. The BMW is not. The Ford is a Frankenstein motor, which is good and bad. The E92 motor is the typical FPC crank design. The GT350 has a racecar pedigree, the M3 looks like a businessman car.

My experience was it was nearly impossible to find an unmolested E92 at a reasonable price, cars that had the rod bears preventatively fixed also had other mods I did not want, and the car was way more than I was willing to pay for a 10 year old platform. The user interface of a 10 year old car sucked, it was like the Vtech days of laptops. The BMW had stuff you knew was a ticking time bomb (Like the seat belt arm which pushed the belt to you when you shut the door, and 8 throttle bodies).

That said, both the GT350 and the E92 M3 are special cars. I love my GT350, but I would love the M3 as well. Both cars have a potential for a personality, which is something non-car people will never understand. Good luck on your decision!
Nailed it.

superspartan

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.hidevolution.com
First Name
Spartan
Vehicle(s)
2023 Nissan Z
I have a convertible E93 M3 2012 model, it's fun, a lot of fun, but the lack of torque (295 lbs/ft) kills the fun from a standstill. I currently own a 2021 Mach 1 and the acceleration from a stand still is much more fun in the Mach 1 and dramatic than the M3 so the Shelby would be in the same league. Also, the Mach 1 handles better and I'm able to take sharp corners at faster speeds with confidence.

As for maintenance, once you change the rod bearings (which you should as you never know when they might fail) you're good to go as long as you do regular service. Heck those NA cars would last much longer than the newer generation Turbo ones if maintained properly.

On a side note though, I had the Akrapovic Titanium Exhaust on my M3 and it sounds better than the Mach 1's stock exhaust but nothing would come close to the GT350 engine/exhaust note thanks to its flat-plane crank V8

JoeSpeed

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
Badlands Bronco, Manual
The only BMW’s I like are currently old enough to buy alcohol or use their slightly older siblings ID without fail (except is the Z4M)

Just get a Shelby
Sponsored