Sponsored

Extreme Heat in Seattle - Global Warming or an Unusual Collection of Ingredients?

SpeedLu

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Premium PP1 Mustang GT, 2017 F-150 Platinum FX4
Climate change "science" is one of the best moneymaking schemes ever concocted. We have entire countries getting scammed out of billions of dollars by a magic act. They say there's a sucker born every minute...people are so gullible that it'd be funny if it wasn't dangerous.
Sponsored

Dr. Norts

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Race Red Mustang GT
Could it all be nothing more than weather manipulation? I mean its in the movies and Hollywood is never far of from what's really happening in the world of science.
This is done to an extent by cloud seeding.

China does this already to make it rain in Arid areas or prevent rain from happening in others for special events. They used this technique for the 2008 Olympics and have been using it for decades.

sk47

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
Chevy Silverado & Nissan Sentra SE
I would think this and other unusual and intense weather events would make you wonder why is this happening? Maybe not...
Hello; Just in my lifetime (73 years) I have seen some extreme weather. That other extreme weather events happened before my time is known. A couple of years ago my area had record rains.. This year we are in a dry spell. Five years ago (2016) Gatlinburg TN was partly burned during an extreme dry spell.
Back in the 1960's I can recall snow up to my knees. In the 1970's we had a spell of over three weeks when the temperature did not get above freezing. Winters are milder lately but maybe 7-8 years ago we had enough snow to close I -75 and had building collapse.
I get it is tempting to lay a very warm spell on human climate change. Not sure it can be made to stick. There have been hurricanes recently and when asked the story was a particular storm could not be directly linked that way.

Balr14

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
BMW Z4 M40i
Hello; Just in my lifetime (73 years) I have seen some extreme weather. That other extreme weather events happened before my time is known. A couple of years ago my area had record rains.. This year we are in a dry spell. Five years ago (2016) Gatlinburg TN was partly burned during an extreme dry spell.
Back in the 1960's I can recall snow up to my knees. In the 1970's we had a spell of over three weeks when the temperature did not get above freezing. Winters are milder lately but maybe 7-8 years ago we had enough snow to close I -75 and had building collapse.
I get it is tempting to lay a very warm spell on human climate change. Not sure it can be made to stick. There have been hurricanes recently and when asked the story was a particular storm could not be directly linked that way.
I am just asking, out of curiosity. I would not attempt to try to change your mind or influence you. That would be a waste of time.

sk47

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
I am just asking, out of curiosity. I would not attempt to try to change your mind or influence you. That would be a waste of time.
Hello; Well when someone holds up a snowball and attempts to use that as a case to doubt warming, that sort of claim is dismissed. The idea is that a snow storm does not dis prove warming and is just a weather event. The idea being a single weather event over a few days is not easy to use to describe global climate.

Since you asked on an open forum I felt fee to comment

Sponsored

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
I work really hard to have an open mind at all times. So when people say things, I listen and consider them carefully.

I have heard a theory that more extreme weather is caused by people doing things that other people dislike. I have heard that cold weather is caused by people doing things that other people dislike. Some also say that warm weather is caused by people doing things that others dislike.

After hearing all those theories, I started to wonder if the point wasn't more about controlling people rather than improving something. If there was a cutoff point - we do exactly this much and this is what will happen... then I would see how that logically makes sense. And if the largest contributors were gone after in a systematic way - that would make a lot of sense to me. However, the people advocating some policies are never done. They just want to get more and more restrictive every year. There's never an end. It's just a spiral of ever increasing regulations. And they go after individuals rather than the larger contributors. Divide and conquer, right?

I know our weather records from many years ago aren't that good, but I do remember there was a long period of extreme heat and drought in the 1930s. The "dust bowl" is a phrase used to describe the consequences.

And I remember a thing called a "mini ice age".

Extreme weather is nothing new.

Balr14

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
BMW Z4 M40i
I know our weather records from many years ago aren't that good, but I do remember there was a long period of extreme heat and drought in the 1930s. The "dust bowl" is a phrase used to describe the consequences.
Just an FYI, the dust bowl was caused by poor farming practices that left all of the good top soil depleted. It was the cause, not the consequence..

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 gt, 2002 FXDWG, 2008 C6,
Just an FYI, the dust bowl was caused by poor farming practices that left all of the good top soil depleted.
It was also a lack of rain

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro

Sponsored

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
Just an FYI, the dust bowl was caused by poor farming practices that left all of the good top soil depleted. It was the cause, not the consequence..
Are you saying that lack of top soil caused temperatures to rise? That would be a new one.

sk47

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
Hello; About the dust bowl. I use to know about this and will try to recall some of the facts. Best I can recall is when the area was settled there was decent rain fall for a spell. However the area was prone to dry spells historically.
One of the normal, for the region, dry spells came along. The native grasses which held the soil had been replaced with food crops. Also there were not yet agreed upon soil conservation practices in use yet. I think the farmers kept trying to farm even after the dry spells started and eventually the topsoil had no cover plants to hold it in place. A human tragedy to be sure.

Well fast forward and some things have happened. That particular dry spell ended. There was a time when soil conservation practices were in place and those did help a lot.

Then center pivot irrigation came along. ICE engines attached to pumps would pump ground water onto the fields during times of not enough rain. There is a huge underground aquifer that formed over many thousands of years. It is under several states. For decades a substantial amount of food has been grown on those plains with the help of that underground water.
There is a problem with this practice over time. In the last years wells have had to be drilled deeper and deeper to find the water level. That massive underground aquifer is being drained. When that water is used up we will lose a substantial source of food stuffs. ( NOTE- I have mentioned there are some things I figure to be worse that climate change. This is one on my top ten list. )

One other thing is the way we now farm. Many of the small farms have been gobbled up so we have mega-farms. Huge farms. Among other things has been the machinery used on these farms has become very large. So large and hard to turn and such the practice is often to ignore the soil conservation practices. Contour plowing for example where you plow horizontally around a hill rather than up and down. The big machines don't do contour plowing well. So let me add soil erosion to my list of human caused problems worse than climate change.

OP
OP
CJJon

CJJon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT/CS Convertible - Race Red
Hello; So let me add soil erosion to my list of human caused problems worse than climate change.
Oy-vey. Climate change is driving the increase soil erosion (that, and bad land use practices).

Lower the human induced global warming trend and you will help reduce soil erosion.
Sponsored