Sponsored

extra cooling: most bang for the buck? What temp gauge to look at?

Ewheels

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT PP1, 2020 Explorer, 2023 F150
Vehicle Showcase
that statement is a tad... hyperbolic :)
all the diff covers i've picked up from WBL over the years (15, 16, 18) were ~$75 shipped
also the reason FTBR is including a cover is because of thermostatic control - you need to drill/tap a hole for the sensor (or a 2nd one if you have a newer model with a diff temp sensor from the factory). obviously this is trivial for DIY'ers like us, but the majority will pay a premium for a bolt-on kit.
Is that drilled sensor hole required if you plan to run it off a manual switch rather than thermostatic control?
Sponsored

boardkat

CAMtard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 GT
Is that drilled sensor hole required if you plan to run it off a manual switch rather than thermostatic control?
no, since the wiring is all upstream - you could reuse your existing cover and just add AN fittings in the fill/drain holes.

Ewheels

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT PP1, 2020 Explorer, 2023 F150
Vehicle Showcase
no, since the wiring is all upstream - you could reuse your existing cover and just add AN fittings in the fill/drain holes.
Perfect! That's what I figured but wanted to confirm with those much more knowledgeable than myself :like:

AlbertD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT/PP
One thing to consider if reusing the existing fill hole as the cold side for a cooling system... when I was test fitting my setup with a 45 deg AN fitting pointing down it was awfully close to the rear sub frame and with some diff movement I can see it potentially contacting the fitting. Once I saw that I decided to pull the cover off and drill/tap a new cold side hole right where it is on the GT350 cover. Clearance was great after that and filling/checking oil level was a breeze. For the DIY, drilling and tapping a new hole isn't all that bad and saves you money from having to buy a new cover. I ended up drill/tapping a second hole above the existing temp sensor for my aftermarket temp sensor as well. Worked great.

AlbertD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT/PP
Also, I wonder if having the cold side in the factory fill hole may cause aeration of the oil as the system runs since it would be moving oil above the fill line? Just a thought.

Sponsored

fatbillybob

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT pp1 A10 Orange
that statement is a tad... hyperbolic :)
all the diff covers i've picked up from WBL over the years (15, 16, 17) were ~$60

Screen Shot 2020-08-13 at 9.19.41 AM.png

also the reason FTBR is including a cover is because of thermostatic control - you need to drill/tap a hole for the sensor (or a 2nd one if you have a newer model with a diff temp sensor from the factory). obviously this is trivial for DIY'ers like us, but the majority will pay a premium for a bolt-on kit.
I only know what I see says $2
20200813_150927.jpg

boardkat

CAMtard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 GT
I only know what I see says $2000
20200813_150927.jpg
Ohhhhhhh, I thought you were implying the FTBR kit was double the price it should be due to the cover being included, my bad. Yeah, that Ford kit price is criminal, but has nothing to do with the cover and more to do with the Shelby/GT350 “tax” methinks :)

fatbillybob

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT pp1 A10 Orange
If you want to run it like that you can avoid drilling anything and the labor to swap covers and just put an inline sensor bung to the outflow line of the diff (the hotest point). Many (cheap) ways to skin a cat. I think Mish oil cooler for example is over priced and under performs from what I'm seeing from serious track guys. It works pretty good but should be better for the price.

fatbillybob

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT pp1 A10 Orange
If you run a thermo sensor what temp should it come on and go off?

boardkat

CAMtard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 GT
If you run a thermo sensor what temp should it come on and go off?
I have an adjustable relay that I currently have set for 200deg. Once the pump starts running, temps stabilize at 200 for me, regardless of average speed, session time, etc. I run very thick oil (80W250) so don’t want it lower than that, although I could set it lower if I wanted. Now that my car is track only, I’ll probably remove this failure point and just hard wire a switch like I did for the tranny cooler. Of course, then I need to remember to turn it on ;)

Sponsored

fatbillybob

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT pp1 A10 Orange
I Of course, then I need to remember to turn it on ;)
Yeah! I get distracted too. I probably should do the extra work to make it automatic...but it is just more stuff to leak and break.

boardkat

CAMtard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 GT
One thing to consider if reusing the existing fill hole as the cold side for a cooling system... when I was test fitting my setup with a 45 deg AN fitting pointing down it was awfully close to the rear sub frame and with some diff movement I can see it potentially contacting the fitting. Once I saw that I decided to pull the cover off and drill/tap a new cold side hole right where it is on the GT350 cover. Clearance was great after that and filling/checking oil level was a breeze. For the DIY, drilling and tapping a new hole isn't all that bad and saves you money from having to buy a new cover. I ended up drill/tapping a second hole above the existing temp sensor for my aftermarket temp sensor as well. Worked great.
i don't have my car in the garage at the moment to confirm fitment, but don't recall being concerned when i plumbed it a few years back - and it's been through the ringer since then! no failure yet. FWIW, i have delrin subframe and poly diff bushings though, so any diff carriage movement is limited.

Also, I wonder if having the cold side in the factory fill hole may cause aeration of the oil as the system runs since it would be moving oil above the fill line? Just a thought.
possibly, but haven't had any issues as yet. no evidence of aeration on the r&p (i.e., pockmarks) when i had it apart earlier this year, so that's encouraging.

AlbertD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT/PP
Nice, yeah that clearance looks great. I used a straight 1/2 NPT to -8AN adapter and then the 45 deg -8AN fitting off of that so certainly not the best for fitment compared to yours. Glad you posted a pic so that others can see how you did it. If someone plans to run the cold side to the factory fill plug, that looks like the way to go.

TX-2019-Black_GT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT A10, Shadow Black with Black Trim Pkg.