Extended Warranty....your take?

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
The electronics in these cars will make the decision easy. One LED headlight goes out.....over $1000+. HVAC issues, same thing. Just price out several parts on your car and you will quickly see the benefits of a Ford extended warrantee if you plan on keeping your car beyond the 3/36000 factory program.
Apparently you have to buy an extra line item to have the lighting covered, it's not normally even in the highest tier package. At least that's what someone on here posted once many years ago.
Sponsored

2016S550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Shopping
Apparently you have to buy an extra line item to have the lighting covered, it's not normally even in the highest tier package. At least that's what someone on here posted once many years ago.
I would be interested in knowing more about this…..

WV millwright

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jackie
Vehicle(s)
2018 F 150 2017 Escape
Exterior lighting, first day rental and key replacement are all options that can be picked when purchased.

Not sure what the issue is with Flood Ford, they are one of the largest and best priced Ford ESP sales dealerships in the USA. The link you provided is to a finance company that they work with to allow you to make payments. As you stated, if you wanted to make a pull payment, you could have called them and fine that. Once you sign the contract, the finance company has nothing in it unless you don't make your payments. No different than any other loan you may take from a lender.

Sponsored

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
I have the lighting option. It wasn’t expensive so it was a no brainer. I do not remember the exact amount.

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
I have the lighting option. It wasn’t expensive so it was a no brainer. I do not remember the exact amount.
I unfortunately didn't know about it. I should add it to my plan before my bumper to bumper expires.

DadzMach

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2023 Mach 1
On the bubble on wether to get it or not. Looking at 10/75K Premium. Any insight is appreciated. In particular, I want to hear about declined claims.

Why get it?
Lots of electronics and gadgets nowadays that can break and I think the cost of replacement parts and labor in general will only get higher.
Complimentary Roadside/ Car rental
Peace of mind/ Financial hardship insurance. In case I find myself in a bind financially 6-10 years from now and a failure occurs, It won't keep me from having a ride.

Why not?
Coverage is at the discretion of Ford. Lots of fine print.
Restricts your ability to mod the car. Unsure how much flexibility we have with this.
In the game of insurance, insurers must always win to remain in business. I do not plan to track, race, drag or do donuts with mine. I don't live in a salt environment nor do I have to drive over beat up roads. I will probably only average 5000 miles/year. By this I think I am in the lower risk half so I may have an above average chance of never paying more than the cost of the premium in repairs.

Based on the rapidly increasing cost of items and labor, I am leaning towards getting it. At the rate we are going, AC repair will probably double in 10 years. Anyway, I think you can always get a pro rated refund if you change your mind so it's not a pass/fail decision.
You are 100% correct on the prorated refund. You can “return” it at anytime and get your money back. I have done it more times than I can count when trading a car in and canceling the warranty.

Jnaszty559

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Gerardo
Vehicle(s)
2005 mustang v6
I recently bought my new 2021 mustang and decided not to buy an extended warranty because I plan on modding it and going e85 which really wakes up the Coyote. Basically if you plan on doing any mods then don’t purchase it but I don’t see how people keep 5.0s stock and not have some fun lol with it in my opinion lol.

Last edited:

Sponsored

TrueBlue22

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 2.3L High Performance Package Fastback
My $0.02 worth; your results may vary:

I never purchased an extended warranty for my 2011 5.0L, which I bought new in September 2010. My wife and I also declined an extended warranty on our 2011 Honda Odyssey, because "Honda Quality" and all that.

So here we are, 12+ years later, and here's a list of everything I had to pay for out-of-pocket that doesn't qualify as normal wear-and-tear/maintenance stuff (you know, like tires, brakes, spark plugs, coolant flushes, etc.):

- AC compressor blew apart due to a failed low-speed fan relay that went undetected. Replaced compressor, receiver-dryer, and aforementioned fan relay: ~$1200

- Convertible hydraulic lift cylinders failed at 11 years/104,000mi. I had them re-built and did the R&R myself: $300 (side note: Top Hydraulics in Oregon does top-notch lift cylinder rebuilds for reasonable $$)

- Passenger side dual-zone climate control blend door motor quit at 10 years/100,000mi and was stuck in "heat," which sucks in a convertible in the Summer. Had a dealer install a new one: ~$150 including labor (with COVID upcharge)

And.... that's it. The last two are really "old car problems" and likely would have been outside any extended warranty anyway. The S197 has been damn-near bulletproof. So, basically I gambled and won.

Now, our 2011 Odyssey, on the other hand, was an unmitigated nightmare of warped brake rotors, fractured upper strut mounts, leaking rear shocks, burned out power side door motors, electrical gremlins, disturbing shuddering from the transmission torque converter that required multiple software updates and never quite got fixed, two batteries that went belly-up, and a voracious appitite for tires - and if I'm complaining about tire wear and own a Mustang, you KNOW it must be awful. I lost count of how much money that Honda cost me over five years. Needless to say, we ditched it and have been enjoying trouble-free Pacificas as our family-mobiles ever since.

We recently bought a 2020 Escape Hybrid at the end of its lease because it's worth easily $10,000 more than the buy-out. All the Hybrid stuff has an 8yr/100,000mi warranty. I bought an 8yr/100,000mi ESP Premium Care plan, mainly because of all the electronics and non-Hybrid stuff... plus my youngest son is about to start driving, and he tends to be a human graveyard for all things mechanical and electronic. It wasn't cheap, but in this instance it seemed like a good idea. And sure enough, one month after we bought it, it lunched the 12V battery (NOT the HV battery, thankfully).

Jury is still out if my new 2.3L HPP will stay with us past 3yrs. I'll make the warranty decision down the road.

The Demon

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brett
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1 N5809, 2019 Mustang GT Premium PP1
Vehicle Showcase
I found that everything I needed fixed was not covered like clutch, brakes, general maintenance. Really got no use out of it.
I’m still looking too, but what I read covers all of that.