Sponsored

Extended Warranty....your take?

First Stang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Mustang Mach1
On the bubble on wether to get it or not. Looking at 10/75K Premium. Any insight is appreciated. In particular, I want to hear about declined claims.

Why get it?
Lots of electronics and gadgets nowadays that can break and I think the cost of replacement parts and labor in general will only get higher.
Complimentary Roadside/ Car rental
Peace of mind/ Financial hardship insurance. In case I find myself in a bind financially 6-10 years from now and a failure occurs, It won't keep me from having a ride.

Why not?
Coverage is at the discretion of Ford. Lots of fine print.
Restricts your ability to mod the car. Unsure how much flexibility we have with this.
In the game of insurance, insurers must always win to remain in business. I do not plan to track, race, drag or do donuts with mine. I don't live in a salt environment nor do I have to drive over beat up roads. I will probably only average 5000 miles/year. By this I think I am in the lower risk half so I may have an above average chance of never paying more than the cost of the premium in repairs.

Based on the rapidly increasing cost of items and labor, I am leaning towards getting it. At the rate we are going, AC repair will probably double in 10 years. Anyway, I think you can always get a pro rated refund if you change your mind so it's not a pass/fail decision.
Sponsored

Stangomydreams

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT Cali Special Convertible
I passed on extended as I planned on flipping out of it at 3 years. If you’re serious about 10 it’s probably worth it depending on cost and exceptions and if it is fully transferable to a new owner.

Grettman

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2009 Toyota Tacoma TRD Sport, 2020 Mustang GT PP1
I will watch this thread as I am torn too. Extended warranties favor the seller, or they wouldn't sell them. I have a personal policy to not buy these things at all (appliances, computers, HVAC systems, or whatever). But.... with this car....I don't know...I am rethinking this "policy".

Wingnutzz

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang EB
I don’t normally purchase extended warranties! But I plan to keep this car, it’s driven a lot in nice weather (convertible), and with all of the electronics I decide getting the Ford extended warranty might be wise. Got it from Granger for $50 over cost.

PartyPatJDM

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Patrick
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT
I found that everything I needed fixed was not covered like clutch, brakes, general maintenance. Really got no use out of it.

Sponsored

EFI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.Br0
If you shop around, you can get a really good deal compared to what is offered by the selling dealer at the time of purchase. And if you plan on keeping it past the 5 years, it's worth it.

I have not had any issues with getting work approved, Ford is pretty good at covering the owner if there's no funny business.

Rapid Red

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
GT PP2 RaceRed Roush> Steeda> preformance
Vehicle Showcase
On the bubble on wether to get it or not. Looking at 10/75K Premium. Any insight is appreciated. In particular, I want to hear about declined claims.

Why get it?
Lots of electronics and gadgets nowadays that can break and I think the cost of replacement parts and labor in general will only get higher.
Complimentary Roadside/ Car rental
Peace of mind/ Financial hardship insurance. In case I find myself in a bind financially 6-10 years from now and a failure occurs, It won't keep me from having a ride.

Why not?
Coverage is at the discretion of Ford. Lots of fine print.
Restricts your ability to mod the car. Unsure how much flexibility we have with this.
In the game of insurance, insurers must always win to remain in business. I do not plan to track, race, drag or do donuts with mine. I don't live in a salt environment nor do I have to drive over beat up roads. I will probably only average 5000 miles/year. By this I think I am in the lower risk half so I may have an above average chance of never paying more than the cost of the premium in repairs.

Based on the rapidly increasing cost of items and labor, I am leaning towards getting it. At the rate we are going, AC repair will probably double in 10 years. Anyway, I think you can always get a pro rated refund if you change your mind so it's not a pass/fail decision.

Just purchased the Ford extended warranty, from the dealership I purchased it from.

The coverage is EXACTLY the same as what comes with a new car.

Upgrades .......... I would say let common sense be your guide. If they are not ridiculous and they are things YOU can fix, repair, or replace ....... it will not matter

A tip get, it before you run out of time. They do not need to check the car before issuing the contract.

I have 2 items with factory extended warranties HVAC & the Mustang

Rapid Red

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
If you shop around, you can get a really good deal compared to what is offered by the selling dealer at the time of purchase. And if you plan on keeping it past the 5 years, it's worth it.

I have not had any issues with getting work approved, Ford is pretty good at covering the owner if there's no funny business.

Can not disagree, as I did look around, however, the gotcha is they are 3rd party. Ford is their client, will they always pay for the Ford replacement parts?

No answer yet, but having driven company cars for 15+ years. That was covered by a 3rd party warranty program. The Ford factory offering for a few dollars more is a viable consideration, for me the best option.

WV millwright

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jackie
Vehicle(s)
2018 F 150 2017 Escape
Extended warranty is kind of a personal choice. It's piece of mind to some to know they won't have major repairs to pay for if something goes wrong. My two pieces of advice are make sure it's a Ford ESP and not third party and check other Ford dealers. You don't have to purchase it from your selling dealer. It can be purchased after, up to 1 year at the same price and 3 years for a small upcharge. I believe after that, but requires an inspection. I would check with Grainger Ford. They are usually one of the best prices and a great sponsor of this site.

You can get a quote directly from their website along with the different deductibles and coverage levels. If you are leaning that way, I would get the premium care because it covers basically everything, except wear items, such as brakes, clutch, wiper, etc. You may be surprised at how much your dealer is marking it up. 😆

Now if you are planning on modding the car, I'd say stay away from the extended warranty because you basically threw that money away when you begin the modding.

Roger Blose

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Roger
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT, 1988 Mustang GT, 2009 Lincoln MKZ
The electronics in these cars will make the decision easy. One LED headlight goes out.....over $1000+. HVAC issues, same thing. Just price out several parts on your car and you will quickly see the benefits of a Ford extended warrantee if you plan on keeping your car beyond the 3/36000 factory program.

Sponsored

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
For anyone thinking of buying any Extended Warranty…..

Read ALL the fine print and ask questions... If buying a brand new car and an ESP, that ESP starts as of the vehicle purchase date and will run concurrently with the 3/36 and 5/60's - not many sellers of such warranties will tell consumer that fact.

If the ESP is for a used car, it's been said on here that those start as of the purchase date of the ESP.

The new car 3/36 covers everything between the bumpers.

The Ford 5/60 Powertrain covers quite a bit, not many owners read up on this either... but are sold ESP's that cover the same components.

The bigger question should be:
Will you run out at miles or years first with any Warranty? An Extended Warranty won't be beneficial to anyone if the car is mostly garaged and sees limited miles - so even though you may have limited miles 5 years goes by quick too... and still ends the warranty.

When the ESP runs concurrently with the 3/36 or 5/60, then get the one with the longest length of coverage - such as a 7/100 or 8/120, whatever may be the most current plan.

Also when buying any warranty, it's not always important at what it covers, it's what the plan does NOT cover. HVAC, head/tail lamps and electrical components are the biggest ticket items aside from Powertrain that are the most expensive cost of repairs today with modern vehicles.

So it looks and works like this:
3/36 used for nearly all warranty claims during first 3 years/36k miles, whichever comes first.

5/60 Powertrain runs concurrently with the 3/36, so after 3/36 is depleted by miles or years first, the remainder of the 5/60 is left which is 2/24 (again whichever comes first).

Buying brand new car and Ford ESP (and some aftermarket ESP’s) - it will run concurrently with the 3/36 and 5/60. So only AFTER the 3/36 and/or 5/60 is depleted, will the ESP be used for XYZ repairs. FACT (and it’s in the ESP fine print). So take for instance a new car owner bought a 7/75k ESP - from just a Powertrain perspective, what they really bought was a 2/15k if looking at it AFTER the Ford 5/60 expired.

The above is why if buying any ESP (Ford or aftermarket) and planning on keeping a car for at least 5 years, IMO always go with the ESP that has the longest term available.

EFI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.Br0
Can not disagree, as I did look around, however, the gotcha is they are 3rd party. Ford is their client, will they always pay for the Ford replacement parts?
I'm not talking about 3rd party warranties, I wouldn't touch those with a 100ft pole. What I was shopping for was 100% Ford ESP backed warranty packages. I went with the Powertrain Care as that's really what would be worth it for me if it breaks, the rest I wouldn't worry about it too much and just replace/upgrade myself.

Rapid Red

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I'm not talking about 3rd party warranties, I wouldn't touch those with a 100ft pole. What I was shopping for was 100% Ford ESP backed warranty packages. I went with the Powertrain Care as that's really what would be worth it for me if it breaks, the rest I wouldn't worry about it too much and just replace/upgrade myself.
I looked at this, started a contract, and got the rep's office phone number. The more I learned the less I like what I was finding.

https://www.floodfordesp.com/
Was told if I want to make a higher payment to call him he would put it thru ......... red flag

This is 2023 electronic payment is the norm, in my book anyway.

Did some online searching and came up with this
https://www.budcofinancial.com/en/services/default.aspx

The site lets you pay online, electronically

Notice this
Screen Shot 2023-01-16 at 5.23.57 PM.png

This company has Ford ESP as its client.
So there is you, then there is Ford ESP, and finally Ford.

Got no skin in the game you like what you have good by me.

Needless to say, I never returned a signed contract, went to my dealer, walked out covered

Want more proof you say, check out the return address, which came with the contract

IMG_1274.jpeg

Qcman17

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Cam
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT A10 Velocity Blue 301A
I added a Ford ESP to mine just before my 3 year base warranty ended. I added the 8 year 50k mile based on my driving. I waited to make sure I intended to keep the car long term and I will because I love it! So for me it was peace of mind knowing I was covered for the extra 5 years (soon to be 4......).

I don't normally buy them on anything including cars but this one is a keeper so I felt it was worth the cost this one time. No regrets!

OP
OP
First Stang

First Stang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Mustang Mach1
I looked at this, started a contract, and got the rep's office phone number. The more I learned the less I like what I was finding.

https://www.floodfordesp.com/
Was told if I want to make a higher payment to call him he would put it thru ......... red flag

This is 2023 electronic payment is the norm, in my book anyway.

Did some online searching and came up with this
https://www.budcofinancial.com/en/services/default.aspx

The site lets you pay online, electronically

Notice this
Screen Shot 2023-01-16 at 5.23.57 PM.png

This company has Ford ESP as its client.
So there is you, then there is Ford ESP, and finally Ford.

Got no skin in the game you like what you have good by me.

Needless to say, I never returned a signed contract, went to my dealer, walked out covered

Want more proof you say, check out the return address, which came with the contract

IMG_1274.jpeg
I was about to get theirs. Thanks for the research.
Sponsored