Sponsored

Extended warranty...recommendation outside of Ford?

Powelltc1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
Hi! I am starting to shop around for an extended warranty. Car is a 2017 and is too old to qualify for the Ford one. Powertrain and corrosion good until next summer, but wanted to start seeing how much they cost. Anyone have any that they have had before and really liked? Any bad ones to stay away from? Appreciate the help!
Sponsored

Inthehighdesert

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Charlie
Vehicle(s)
2020 HE GT350R, 2022 HE Gt500 Cftp
Be very careful with secondary market warranties. They will be there to take your money, but few will be there when you attempt to collect. Check with your vehicle insurance company. Many like State Farm, Geico, etc. offer extended warranties.

Shift

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
a Ford
Be very careful with secondary market warranties. They will be there to take your money, but few will be there when you attempt to collect. Check with your vehicle insurance company. Many like State Farm, Geico, etc. offer extended warranties.
The ones I've seen sold by insurance companies sell them when you first insure the car with them after buying the car new. It seemed like a good deal, but then you'd be stuck insuring with them.

OP
OP
Powelltc1

Powelltc1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
A savings account
I can’t buy the car and save for a potential blown engine at the same time. I am just buying my car, a 2017 with very low miles. After reading this forum for the last few months, I can look forward to the AC possibly crapping out on me, and the engine letting lose and needing to be replaced. I can’t afford a $55k car and a separate account to save for a $20k engine...and I shouldn’t have to.

just looking for a way to cover the big ticket items most likely to have a problem. Thanks.

Sponsored

matthewr87

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350
Yeah I'd be careful with aftermarket warranties as well. Most have many exclusions and fine print stipulations that can make it difficult to have a claim honoured. Warranty companies are like insurance companies; they exist to collect money, not pay it out. You are buying privately I assume? If from a Ford dealership, does Ford offer CPO warranties on GT350s?

OP
OP
Powelltc1

Powelltc1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
Yeah I'd be careful with aftermarket warranties as well. Most have many exclusions and fine print stipulations that can make it difficult to have a claim honoured. Warranty companies are like insurance companies; they exist to collect money, not pay it out. You are buying privately I assume? If from a Ford dealership, does Ford offer CPO warranties on GT350s?
I am buying from a Honda dealer. From my research and pouring over GT 350 listings for the last few months, I would say less than 5% are CPO. I guess most people in GT350s haven’t hit this issue yet. They are still under at least the Powertrain warranty.

matthewr87

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350
I am buying from a Honda dealer. From my research and pouring over GT 350 listings for the last few months, I would say less than 5% are CPO. I guess most people in GT350s haven’t hit this issue yet. They are still under at least the Powertrain warranty.
Hmmmmm.....winter is coming soon. Might it be worth waiting to see if you can find a used 2018/2019 in the same price range? An extended warranty is going to cost 2-4K anyway.

matthewr87

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350
Hmmmmm.....winter is coming soon. Might it be worth waiting to see if you can find a used 2018/2019 in the same price range? An extended warranty is going to cost 2-4K anyway.
Also, that Honda dealership probably sells aftermarket extended warranties. Maybe try to get one worked into the deal? At least that way you aren't paying too much for it.

OP
OP
Powelltc1

Powelltc1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
Also, that Honda dealership probably sells aftermarket extended warranties. Maybe try to get one worked into the deal? At least that way you aren't paying too much for it.
Thanks for the advice. I will talk to the dealership about this option. This is just a special opportunity to me. It is a Grabber Blue with convenience package with less than 700 miles. Still has some of the protective plastic inside still on it, and never even has had the front splitter installed on it. It is basically a new 2017 car. A collector bought it to add to his garage and rarely drove it. I have been in love with the GB since I first saw it. Just trying to cover as best as I can the negatives of everything I just said too. Usually you’ve got the bumper to bumper to figure out what kind of car you have got. Is it a pretty reliable one? A lemon? Just wanted a way to cover my butt while I figured it out. I have learned so much from the other forum members on here over the last few months. In love with the car...just want to make sure my wife doesn’t kill me because it becomes a money pit. Thanks for the advice.

Sponsored

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
Thanks for the advice. I will talk to the dealership about this option. This is just a special opportunity to me. It is a Grabber Blue with convenience package with less than 700 miles. Still has some of the protective plastic inside still on it, and never even has had the front splitter installed on it. It is basically a new 2017 car. A collector bought it to add to his garage and rarely drove it. I have been in love with the GB since I first saw it. Just trying to cover as best as I can the negatives of everything I just said too. Usually you’ve got the bumper to bumper to figure out what kind of car you have got. Is it a pretty reliable one? A lemon? Just wanted a way to cover my butt while I figured it out. I have learned so much from the other forum members on here over the last few months. In love with the car...just want to make sure my wife doesn’t kill me because it becomes a money pit. Thanks for the advice.
Ford offers extended warranties for cars beyond the 3/36.

OP
OP
Powelltc1

Powelltc1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
try looking at Flood Ford's pricing. Really, you can't get coverage for a 2017? Because it sure looks like you can.

https://www.floodfordesp.com/esp_pl...2=0&Surcharge5=0&Surcharge3=0&Submit=Continue
Thank you. That is awesome. My understanding was you had to get it before the base warranty was up, but you are right, that doesn’t look to be true. Really appreciate this. I would much rather go with this than endurance or Autopom. Thanks again.
Sponsored