Sponsored

Extended Warranty on S550

Wanka

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Gt Convertible
Hi;
New guy here. Just bought a new 17' Gt convertible. My pre-retirement present to me. Not My first Mustang, last new one was in 88'. I have loved all muscle cars, seems like forever. I was around during the 60's and 70's so the V8's were always king in my books, not to knock anything else.
Anyways I am wondering what the consensus on extended warranty is for these cars. I am kind of wondering with all the electronics and computers now and I know they can be expensive. As I said I will be retiring in the near future and big unexpected expenses would not be preferable. The warranty is just over 2 thousand, a big expense itself.

Regards...
Sponsored

2015Etrac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black 2016 Mustang GT Premium 401a
Hi;
New guy here. Just bought a new 17' Gt convertible. My pre-retirement present to me. Not My first Mustang, last new one was in 88'. I have loved all muscle cars, seems like forever. I was around during the 60's and 70's so the V8's were always king in my books, not to knock anything else.
Anyways I am wondering what the consensus on extended warranty is for these cars. I am kind of wondering with all the electronics and computers now and I know they can be expensive. As I said I will be retiring in the near future and big unexpected expenses would not be preferable. The warranty is just over 2 thousand, a big expense itself.

Regards...
I may or may not buy one. My only reason for not buying the warranty is that I'd like to eventually get headers, a tune, and a GT350 intake which would void it anyway. However if I don't end up going that route (or super charging it), I will probably get it. I believe the dealer told me I could come back anytime before it expires and get the warranty for around $800, which would pay for itself with one repair such as an A/C issue or Sync 3 issue. The powertrains on these cars seem really solid so I'm more worried about the electrical stuff in the future.

2015Etrac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hi;

Regards...
I just noticed you said $2,000...I would never pay that much. My dealer told me to come back in like 3 years and it would probably be like $800. As far as I know you can buy it anytime before the existing one expires, so you can hold off for a few years.

AlexhadanM3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT Blue
Do not pay $2,000 for it. I got a warranty for my 17 GT for $500 and that was for 8 years 100k miles and that covered everything. My warranty was through Mercury / logix

Boston23

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT PPP Ingot Silver
Remember that ESP's are negotiable with exception of States that regulate the policies under insurance laws. I know FL was one of those States. There are also multiple programs being offered by dealers so educate yourself on what you need, what you're buying and shop around. I believe the ESP provides the greatest value given you get it at the right price.

Sponsored

jtmat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vert turbo!!!!
Hi;

Regards...
Read it... to me, they are terrible. But then, I got one many decades ago and everything went wrong but what was covered. Never again for me...

But if I could get for $500, that would be worth it... especially to cover the top (and you have a vert as well).

Coconut

Poptart
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Aaron
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Magnetic manual
If you're going to keep it for 5+ years then yes, it might be worth it get the extended warranty depending on the price. The electronic seem to be a non-issue so far. The most common problems so far are driveshaft vibration and AC condenser failure.

PIsenhour

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT Premium Dark Matter Gray Metallic
I was quoted $1800 for a 5-year starting from the date of purchase which was May of last year. They gave the same old spill about all the computer and electronics, blah, blah, blah. I asked one question to them during this process, "Are you selling me a piece of shit?" No answer end of conversation. Then a month ago I received a call trying the same sales pitch again and I asked, "Did you sell me a piece of shit?" No response.
I have had extended warranties on my vehicles before and to be honest it was money down the drain, but that is my history. I have found that as long as you take care of your car and don't abuse it then it will last.

2015Etrac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I was quoted $1800 for a 5-year starting from the date of purchase which was May of last year. They gave the same old spill about all the computer and electronics, blah, blah, blah. I asked one question to them during this process, "Are you selling me a piece of shit?" No answer end of conversation. Then a month ago I received a call trying the same sales pitch again and I asked, "Did you sell me a piece of shit?" No response.
I have had extended warranties on my vehicles before and to be honest it was money down the drain, but that is my history. I have found that as long as you take care of your car and don't abuse it then it will last.
Don't they come with a 5 year powertrain warranty from the factory? The one I was offered would start after the 3 year bumper to bumper expires I believe.

Sponsored

slink

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Premium,6 Speed, 401A Pkg, Kona Blue
I agree, 2k is too much.
Also, make sure it is a FoMoCo warranty, not some third party.

signal12

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Vehicle(s)
2015 RR 50 YEAR Ecoboost Convertable 6MT
Remember that ESP's are negotiable with exception of States that regulate the policies under insurance laws. I know FL was one of those States. There are also multiple programs being offered by dealers so educate yourself on what you need, what you're buying and shop around. I believe the ESP provides the greatest value given you get it at the right price.
Yep. We get screwed here in Florida. We can't even buy it online if we have a Florida address. And it's SSSSOOOOOOOO much cheaper online!!!

OP
OP

Wanka

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Gt Convertible
Thanks to all the replies. Now I'm kinda tee'd off hearing about flood ford esp pricing. Not really available to Canucks. The exchange rate right now is about 1.40 to U.S. Dollar, which is quite high. I'll shop around and see what I can find.
Thanks again...

A7X

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT Premium Black Silver Stripes
Thanks to all the replies. Now I'm kinda tee'd off hearing about flood ford esp pricing. Not really available to Canucks. The exchange rate right now is about 1.40 to U.S. Dollar, which is quite high. I'll shop around and see what I can find.
Thanks again...
I bought the warranty and the extended service. The service covers wear parts like clutch, rotors, brakes, oil changes etc.

So for 5 years/100k kms theoretically my only costs are tires, insurance and gas.

I took the safe way out
Sponsored