Sponsored

Extended Warranty.. did you, or did you not?

2015Etrac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black 2016 Mustang GT Premium 401a
I just bought the 8yr/100k Premium Warranty from Flood Ford yesterday. I was on the fence about it and only had until July to make a decision. I feel like the Gen 2 Coyote and 6R80 is a very solid combo, but I have a premium car with heated/cooled seats, SYNC 3, dual zone climate control, adaptive cruise control, etc. so just for the electronic stuff alone the warranty is worth it. Obviously, I modified my suspension, exhaust, brakes, and some other items, but the warranty will still cover most of the expensive stuff like the well known A/C issues and since my engine and transmission are stock (other than a no-tune CAI), it should cover them as well. I feel like it was a good deal for 5 additional years of bumper-to-bumper coverage.
Sponsored

plc268

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Patrick
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium Race Red
Extended warranty is worth it for potential AC issues alone.

I took my car in recently to fix my AC again, and I only had to pay $100 deductible. I had also had them check my driver's door (it creaked and moaned when opening), because I figured it'd be an easy fast fix. Well, they charged me $200 for "diagnostic fee", and then wanted to charge me $500 for parts and labor. They also claimed it doesn't fall under the warranty. I declined the repair, and I couldn't get out of the diagnostic charge.

They said the Door Check needed to be replaced. It's a $23 part, and replacing it doesn't take nearly $500 of shop time to replace. I'll do it myself eventually.

At least my Flood ESP has paid for itself twice over just in AC repairs. So I can't complain too much.

Mustang5ohMan

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
A
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP1
8yr bumper-to-bumper. I'm not worried about ticks, rattles, thin paint, bad evap cores, or other assorted gremlins. After 8 years I'll have owned the car for 3, and probably purchased a newer model Mustang!
So you purchased used?

Mustang5ohMan

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
A
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP1
I had a Ford issue and was granted a 5 year 75k warranty so in actuality... an extra 2 years and 39k miles.

Not sure I’d have the car that long but who knows at least it’s covered... guess until I start modding a bit more.

mc68386

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT Premium
Extended warranty is worth it for potential AC issues alone.

I took my car in recently to fix my AC again, and I only had to pay $100 deductible. I had also had them check my driver's door (it creaked and moaned when opening), because I figured it'd be an easy fast fix. Well, they charged me $200 for "diagnostic fee", and then wanted to charge me $500 for parts and labor. They also claimed it doesn't fall under the warranty. I declined the repair, and I couldn't get out of the diagnostic charge.

They said the Door Check needed to be replaced. It's a $23 part, and replacing it doesn't take nearly $500 of shop time to replace. I'll do it myself eventually.

At least my Flood ESP has paid for itself twice over just in AC repairs. So I can't complain too much.
Wow you're easy to please. You shelled out for an extended warranty, Ford found a major issue and not only wouldn't cover it under your warranty but also charged you a deductible and "diagnostic fee" and you're a satisfied customer?

Sponsored

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
I have an extended warranty (Up to 120k miles) that was offered through my Credit Union. It’s a Nationwide Warranty accepted by Ford and many other vehicle manufacturers. It offers the same coverage as the Ford ESP’s with same deductibles.

The only reason I opted for it is because:
1) My weekly distance traveled is 500mi, excluding any weekend driving.
2) I expect to own the vehicle longer than 5 years.

Why the above two facts matter most:
1) I’ll have burned through the factory 3/36 faster than most.
2) If owning the car longer than 5 years, I’ll have also burned up the factory 5/60 Powertrain Warranty.

At that point, I’ll still have a buffer after the 60k (2/60) to cover any possible issues (if any).

So for ME (and folks in a similar position), an extended warranty is well worth the money. For folks who mothball their vehicles or barely use them, an extended warranty is pointless, as that type of owner may not ever use or kill the warranty with accrued miles, but by the time something does fail on their ride, the “years” part of the warranty would have expired far sooner than accrued miles...

Another thing to know (most don’t):
A) The factory 5/60 Powertrain covers the engine, the trans and the rear. If you read the actual coverage, it’s a very good comprehensive warranty EVEN AFTER the 3/36 has expired.

B) The Ford ESP (and most others) run concurrently with the factory 3/36 and 5/60. Meaning, The ESP starts as of the vehicle purchase in service date. If you have an ESP and the vehicle is still under the 3/36 OR 5/60, the factory warranty takes precedence over the ESP. So think of it this way, if a person buys a 7/75k ESP, they’re really only buying a 2/15.... is that money well spent? NO... because 2 years or 15k after the 5/60 will be zapped pretty quickly.

C) With B above in mind, if buying an ESP (be it Ford or any 3rd party), if you’re going to keep the car longer than 5 years, opt for the longest term ESP. I think the longest term avail through Ford is the 8/150k... Essentially again, you would be buying a 3/90, since the ESP would kick in AFTER the 5/60 expired.

Gotta watch what is being sold to you regarding any ESP. Also it’s not what is covered in those plans, it what’s is NOT covered, so read ALL of the FINE PRINT. Many people think because they bought an ESP, they’re free and clear of owing any $$$ for a so called “warranty” repair.... then get whammied with a repair bill because their ESP didn’t cover certain parts or labor that was outlined in the fine print.

Last edited:

Elp_jc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
ESP powertrain coverage expires at 5/60. Any other more comprehensive plan kicks in at 3/36; only the powertrain part would kick in at 5/60.

With such potentially problematic vehicles, I might buy it for the first time in my life, if I keep the car after warranty (which is my plan). The good news about ESP for folks who put few miles a year is you can choose from several deductibles, AND from several plans, including low miles but many years, which is what I'd get. And finally, you can buy from places like Flood Ford or Zeigler Ford at a substantial discount.

Mustang5ohMan

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
A
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP1
ESP powertrain coverage expires at 5/60. Any other more comprehensive plan kicks in at 3/36; only the powertrain part would kick in at 5/60.

With such potentially problematic vehicles, I might buy it for the first time in my life, if I keep the car after warranty (which is my plan). The good news about ESP for folks who put few miles a year is you can choose from several deductibles, AND from several plans, including low miles but many years, which is what I'd get. And finally, you can buy from places like Flood Ford or Zeigler Ford at a substantial discount.
those companies are great!
I got my warranty through ford due to an issue.
It was a 5 year 75k miles IIRC. So an extra 2 years and 29k miles... but whatever at least I’m covered after the fact and it has a $100 deductible.