Sponsored

Exposed carbon fiber R wheels.....possible?

pocketAA

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R #850
I was just wondering this the other day while cleaning the brake dust off of the R rims. Would it be possible to have someone remove the finish from the rims so that they would just be exposed carbon fiber? Anyone know of a company that might have done this? Is it even possible?
Sponsored

MikeR397

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford GT350R & Raptor; Ferrari 360, Aston Martin Vantage, Porsche Cayenne GTS, Jaguar XFR
I’m doubting that would go well. The paint is designed to withstand very high temps and be resilient, not sure how you would get off without damaging the carbon.

Wildcardfox

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brett
Vehicle(s)
I’m in-between cars
I was just wondering this the other day while cleaning the brake dust off of the R rims. Would it be possible to have someone remove the finish from the rims so that they would just be exposed carbon fiber? Anyone know of a company that might have done this? Is it even possible?
I’m a composites expert, sanding the paint off of carbon is easy. It does not fray like other materials like Kevlar. So yes, you could have a body shop sand off the paint and then re-clear the rims.

A person could go too deep by being too aggressive in the sanding, which will start to cut away the fabric, which will harm the finish because it will look more smudged than perfect fabric.

Also I should note that sanding carbon creates hazardous dust that is extremely dangerous, so a full respirator should be used to not breath it in. It also is itchy, so cover up and try not to get it on your skin if you attempt.

But a durable clear that protected against UV degradation could provide adequate protection. As long as a good painter approached the task, proper prep was used, and a competent clear coat was used, they could be converted to clear carbon rims where the weave can be seen—although some areas would be hard to remove the carbon like around the lug nut provisions.

I myself just had two spare rims refinished and painted and you can see the carbon weave in some areas. Before they were repainted black and cleared.
91401F2D-4E04-420F-B1C5-03DB0C08A1DD.jpeg
6F4E47B0-A656-44D8-9941-D08A1E996921.jpeg

Last edited:
OP
OP

pocketAA

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R #850
Thanks for the response. I definitely wouldn’t attempt it but i think the R rims would look great with the exposed weave.

I was more wondering if anyone has done this yet or knew of a company that knew how to do it.

Wildcardfox

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brett
Vehicle(s)
I’m in-between cars
Thanks for the response. I definitely wouldn’t attempt it but i think the R rims would look great with the exposed weave.

I was more wondering if anyone has done this yet or knew of a company that knew how to do it.

No problem. Any good body shop/painter could do it.

I got to spend a lot of time with the 500, and have it next to my car for multiple days for an event that I was covering. I got to look at the black painted parts on my car versus the clear carbon on the 500, and for me—I like the painted parts better, but that is preference.
D61FAD49-893F-420A-B29C-33BBD24174F0.jpeg

Last edited:

Sponsored

rush0024

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Shelby GT350R | 2023 Ram TRX
Just curious if any R owner has removed the paint from their OEM carbon wheels and spoiler?

If so I would love to see some pictures and hear more about that process/costs.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
I would assume that the exposed weave wouldn't look very good. Since there wasn't originally a plan to have it exposed there would be no need to align the weave with the wheel spokes or to make nice transitions between the spokes and barrel.

galaxy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
Hopefully someone will chime in or just continue searching because this has been done a few very successful times on here.

mavisky

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kyle
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350
There was a shop local to me who did a set a couple years back but in 2020 they closed down and never returned. Definitely can be done, they hand sanded it down, then re-cleared over top.

Sponsored

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
There was a shop local to me who did a set a couple years back but in 2020 they closed down and never returned. Definitely can be done, they hand sanded it down, then re-cleared over top.
That's all that would have to be done. I don't know if CR had a UV resistant epoxy for the R wheels. They were not manufactured to be exposed, but instead painted. The other issue is that they didn't build the wheels with any concern to the CF weave. You strip the paint off and may find a perfect weave pattern, or it might be all buggered up. Kinda like the story with the CFHP wheels.

I wouldnt do it.....

TonyNJ

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
First Name
Tony
Vehicle(s)
22 GT500HE Black Stripes, 20 GT350HE, 16 GT350R Ba
That's all that would have to be done. I don't know if CR had a UV resistant epoxy for the R wheels. They were not manufactured to be exposed, but instead painted. The other issue is that they didn't build the wheels with any concern to the CF weave. You strip the paint off and may find a perfect weave pattern, or it might be all buggered up. Kinda like the story with the CFHP wheels.

I wouldnt do it.....
I appreciate this insight. As I was reading through this thread, I was starting to consider doing this to the set I'm sitting on. You make a strong valid points and brought me back to reality.

Post #9 had me going for it.

aggarcia70

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang Shelby GT350
One of the local club members had his 350R wheels stripped and then cleared. They came out beautiful. You would never known they had paint covering that carbon fiber weave.

MandoGt350R

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Armando
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350R
Vehicle Showcase
Man that would look good on these R's. Question is can I trust my paint shop to attempt this.

MandoGt350R

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Armando
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350R
Vehicle Showcase
One of the local club members had his 350R wheels stripped and then cleared. They came out beautiful. You would never known they had paint covering that carbon fiber weave.
Do you know which local paint shop did the work on the wheels?
Sponsored