Sponsored

Experience with your Ford dealer Service Department?

S550 HPP

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang Ecoboost High Performance Package

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
Why not do it yourself and know it was done to your standards?
It's harder to get warranty claims through if you do it yourself. You should* document everything with pictures, write the date and mileage on the filter, use an oil that meets Ford's spec, have receipts, etc.

Last edited:

Sig556

White18
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ed
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT Premium / Rapid Red 10 Speed Auto
It's harder to get warranty claims through if you do it yourself. You have to document everything with pictures, write the date and mileage on the filter, use an oil that meets Ford's spec, have receipts, etc.
All that is required is a valid receipt for the oil and filter buy the oil of your choice and use a Motorcraft FL500 and you are good to go. I have been changing my own oil in my 2011,2015, 2018, and now my 2020. I also keep a small book with the date of service for my vehicle.

Sponsored

rcald

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2020 Bullitt L3483 2002 Mustang GT Convertible
Vehicle Showcase
Sawgrass Ford Sunrise FL A+

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
All that is required is a valid receipt for the oil and filter buy the oil of your choice and use a Motorcraft FL500 and you are good to go. I have been changing my own oil in my 2011,2015, 2018, and now my 2020. I also keep a small book with the date of service for my vehicle.
I've heard otherwise if you actually have an engine failure. It's super easy for the OEM to say "you dun it" and good luck at that point.

Last edited:

JCFoster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Vert, 3.15, A6, Magnetic
What few times I’ve taken a Ford product in has all been positive. I’ve used Hixson in Alexandria, La several times with no issues.

br_an

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bran
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shelby GT350, 2020 Ford F150
It's harder to get warranty claims through if you do it yourself. You have to document everything with pictures, write the date and mileage on the filter, use an oil that meets Ford's spec, have receipts, etc.
Wait, what??? :crackup:

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
Wait, what??? :crackup:
I'm just saying for people to cover themselves as much as possible if doing it yourself. If you don't think people have been denied before for having poor records of their own changes, I have a bridge to sell you, lol. Not necessarily on here, but it happens. A receipt may not be enough.

Laugh all you want if warranty doesn't matter to you, that's fine. And it's not like I'm one of those people who can't or doesn't want to do it themselves. I did my first oil change myself. But I did my second one at the dealer so that it's recorded in the system.

Sponsored

br_an

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bran
Vehicle(s)
I'm just saying for people to cover themselves as much as possible if doing it yourself. If you don't think people have been denied before for having poor records of their own changes, I have a bridge to sell you, lol. Not necessarily on here, but it happens. A receipt may not be enough.

Laugh all you want if warranty doesn't matter to you, that's fine. And it's not like I'm one of those people who can't or doesn't want to do it themselves. I did my first oil change myself. But I did my second one at the dealer so that it's recorded in the system.
Grade-A bologna.

The language of the warranty states to keep receipts and records that the maintenance schedule was followed. Nothing about taking pictures and keeping the filters with dates etc and whatever other nonsense. If they required that they'd have to state it in the warranty, thanks to the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
Grade-A bologna.

The language of the warranty states to keep receipts and records that the maintenance schedule was followed. Nothing about taking pictures and keeping the filters with dates etc and whatever other nonsense. If they required that they'd have to state it in the warranty, thanks to the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act
Whatever you say, bud. As I said, I don't actually care what you do to your own car. Ideally you'll never have a problem to where it matters :)

br_an

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bran
Vehicle(s)
Whatever you say, bud. As I said, I don't actually care what you do to your own car. Ideally you'll never have a problem to where it matters :)
Try not talking outta yer arse next time

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
Try not talking outta yer arse next time
Okay, I shouldn't have said "You have to", because that's not true. But I'm not talking out of my ass. I distinctly remember someone on here saying that Ford told them that receipts weren't good enough. But I'm not going to bother to dig for it.

Regardless I'm not gonna keep polluting the thread with this argument, lol.

Torched10

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
2019 gt premium convertible. 2017 caddy xts vsport twin turbo.2011 caddy ext
Hey all, I apologize if this has been asked before. I'm curious to hear about your experiences with the Service department at your local Ford dealership, good or bad?

Here in SE Georgia, I'm having a tough time with the dealership situation in my area. There are only 2 dealers, both of which are around a 30 minute drive from my house, which is already a pain. As a result of having so many people in that radius, I feel that the service department at either dealership is constantly overbooked/overworked.

In addition, in my experience, the technical knowledge is also lacking at both dealerships. In the time I've had my car, I've dealt with:

1) Poor A/C performance, even after they replaced the compressor and condenser (see my thread here). I begged the dealer to take another look, but was simply told "if it's blowing out 15 degrees cooler than ambient, then it's performing up to Ford standards" and was turned away (so in the 100+ deg GA summer heat the best I can expect my car to blow out is 85 deg!? give me a break!). I had to eventually take the car to an independent shop to diagnose and fix the issue, which ended up being too much oil in the system, most likely because when the dealer replaced the compressor they blindly added oil. Now it works like a charm.

2) When replacing all four tires, the dealer I guess didn't realize that the rim/tire setup was staggered, even when I directly pointed it out to the Service agent before handing the car over. They mixed up the rims and put a rear rim on the front axle. As a result, when I was 2 miles leaving the dealer, smelling burning rubber and intense vibrations in the wheel, had to turn around. They originally replaced the tire and rim, but didn't think they needed to replace the STRUT it was rubbing against! It took me driving to the dealer (leaving work, 30 min drive each way), made them put the car up on the lift, and take the tire off, to show them the strut was also damaged (going off of a hunch, because clearly the tire and rim were rubbing against SOMETHING). When dropping the car off, the Service agent told me "don't worry, we deal with Shelby's all the time" :rolleyes:

3) In addition, I'm currently in the process of obtaining a new hood, as I am also dealing with the rusting issue. Ford approved the repair about a month ago, and I have to keep calling the dealer to try and schedule an appointment. I just keep getting a "we'll call you back soon" answer.

4) Not me, but I've also had co-workers go to these dealers and also have bad Service experiences. A new Escape went in to replace the back seats because the stitching was coming out after a short time, and they BUTCHERED the repair job. The car was kept for about a month just to replace the back seats.

Recently, I had a horrible creaking noise from the rear every time I accelerated or decelerated, which turned out to be the infamous wheel bearings going bad (after only 21,000 miles!). After the above other experiences, I decided to bite the cost of the bearings and replace them myself, as I already have the tools to do so, and didn't feel like driving 30 mins both ways and having them possibly screw something else up.

Needless to say, all of these experiences have left me rather disheartened. Obviously, most of us take good care of our cars, but for me it's rather disappointing that I've had to keep on top of the dealer this much, and have to do so much work and worry about the car every time it goes in. If this is the case, what point is there to me or anyone I know to buy a Ford in the future, knowing the Service departments around me are this far away and this bad?

Am I alone here? Do you experience the same thing in your area? I'm curious to hear if this is might be a local thing, or a more widespread issue at other Ford dealers. Sorry for the rant, thank you for coming to my Ted Talk.
No service experience with the Ford yet other than an oil change, but I've spent plenty of time at BMW service departments.

It's a function of pay scale, book rates and warranty claims. You'll just get better service and quality repairs at a successful independent shop rather than at a dealer for any marque. The only reason we go to dealers is because of warranty, but like yourself, sometimes I just do it myself so that I know it's done right.
I live in sandy Springs in Atlanta.hennessey ford in dandy springs is excellent plus they always have several gt500s for sale.and nice waitng room
Sponsored