Threads
Reaction score
Website
kilobravo.com
First Name
KB
Vehicle(s)
'16 CT6, '18 SD, '20 GT 500
Dang, they're out of stock until 4/1, Tob but that might actually be semi-good timing. Thanks for the link. Rivnuts, learn something new here damn near every day. :-) And, from what T said, it sounds like just two at 10 and 4 was more than adequate. Have to pick up some stainless bolts.
Sponsored

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I like to disassemble things.
Mmm, I'd be putting in nuts at every location as I suspect T will be as well.

That tool is really good. Only negative is tight spaces can limit the ability to open the arms up all the way. You can manage that with a thread tip adjustent many times though.

kilobravo

Threads
Reaction score
Website
kilobravo.com
First Name
KB
Vehicle(s)
I wondered about the non-secure corners "flapping" in the breeze, Tob and, making a racket. No doubt you are correct and he will add more. Problem is, I don't know if I have the nerve to do "the rivnut thing" on a rather expensive piece of CF. :-) I just planned on leaving the tray in with the decal but if it can be made to be easily installed and removed, that's a consideration.

OP
OP
50 Deep

50 Deep

Signature Wheel Ford Rep
Gold Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.signaturewheel.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R
Way kewell, Terrance! And just two were enough, pretty amazing. Any issues installing the rivnuts in the Python?
I just installed two of them to show an easy method of mounting, but would run all if I was going to do it. Installing each one takes about 30 seconds.

The OEM mounting hole actually works best with an M8 rivnut due to its size. Assuming you do not go about getting the oem hardware that would go on the vent.

This is great. Where did you purchase the rivnuts?
I think I grabbed a pack on Amazon of multiple metric sizes. These are nifty for all sorts of projects.

I will pull off one of the OEM attachments next

Alex.Envy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alex
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350
I just installed two of them to show an easy method of mounting, but would run all if I was going to do it. Installing each one takes about 30 seconds.

The OEM mounting hole actually works best with an M8 rivnut due to its size. Assuming you do not go about getting the oem hardware that would go on the vent.

I think I grabbed a pack on Amazon of multiple metric sizes. These are nifty for all sorts of projects.

I will pull off one of the OEM attachments next
Could I just use zip ties? wasn't sure if the mounting point on your vent had a way to loop them in. I'm a fan of the quick cut/install of zip ties and I always have them on me.

Sponsored

kilobravo

Threads
Reaction score
Website
kilobravo.com
First Name
KB
Vehicle(s)
I just installed two of them to show an easy method of mounting,
Copy all, T, that's what I thought but wanted to be sure. Ordered one of those fancy rivnut guns and if the kit doesn't come with enough of the fittings I need, I'll hit Kamazonski.

Thanks...and Sarah's Python check went out today.

DocGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Shadow Black GT500, 2019 Explorer Sport
This may be a dumb question. But I took the rain tray out day one and never put it back in. Do you guys just put it in for washes? Do you run the car with it in most of the time?

kilobravo

Threads
Reaction score
Website
kilobravo.com
First Name
KB
Vehicle(s)
Doc: This is just a guess on my part since I leave mine in all the time but...

Based on what I've read, I don't think that among those who leave it out, very few, if any are going to the trouble of putting it back in, even with just a couple bolts, just for a wash. If you keep the water and soap mostly away from the vent, I would think you could easily blow off the engine afterward without any ill effects. That is, those who leave it out, probably leave it out a hundred percent of the time, not just when racing or washing. <smile>

Then you have those way smart folks :cool: who use rare earth magnets to secure the tray and for them, it's a piece of cake to install or remove it.

And finally there are those who just leave it in.

Somewhere along the line last year, we were told that the engine generates 230KW of heat at full throttle and I'm certain that removing the tray helps under those conditions. But, for old drag racing farts who rarely get above 6k throttle-wise, I don't think leaving the tray in reduces performance enough for me to notice.

marklboris

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
______ '20 Shelby GT500 FPB '21 Mach-E GTPE IS
Vehicle Showcase
I agree with all that.KB said and I’m one of those that leave it off 100% of the time. While I didn’t use rare earth magnets to hold on the rain tray like a smarter person did, I did replace the OEM fasteners with 1/4 turn ones. It was a waste of time though since I never install the tray.

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
I reinstall mine for a wash. I only use a few bolts that are hand tight.

Sponsored

Jmeo

You said member ;)
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jaime
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500, 2022 F150 PowerBoost
Vehicle Showcase
Another idea for those who only use the rain tray when washing is to screw a couple or three of these in place, cut to just the exact length and use a wing nut. Slap the rain tray in place, spin on the wing nuts, and Bob's your uncle. Much quicker than fumbling with the stock factory hardware.

This type has sunken in allen heads to help screw it in.

Screen Shot 2021-02-02 at 10.14.41 AM.png

Screen Shot 2021-02-02 at 10.17.54 AM.png

kilobravo

Threads
Reaction score
Website
kilobravo.com
First Name
KB
Vehicle(s)
Mark: I was wondering what your position was on the subject and FTR, your quarter turn idea is as good as Jaime's magnets. :-) Now that I know you leave it out a hundred percent of the time, I see what you meant about the mod. NBD and who knows, you may be glad you did it one day.

Jaime: ANOTHER most excellent idea! Quarter turn would be slightly better but, more work so this might actually be what I need as I will want to remove it from time to time to clean it.

Jmeo

You said member ;)
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jaime
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500, 2022 F150 PowerBoost
Vehicle Showcase
Hmm...Jaime...do ya think adding wingnuts might cause them to hit something when closed? And where did you find those threaded stocks with hex head centers?
I don't think there will be a clearance issue, especially by trimming the length of the stud to be just long enough to leave a few threads for the wing nut to grab.

Honestly I just googaly eyed "Allen keyed threaded studs" and screen shotted the image. I bet the Amazonian will have them.
Sponsored