Exhibitions Of Speed - PYTHON GT500 Hood Vent Project

DocGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Shadow Black GT500, 2019 Explorer Sport
Closer.... going to see if I can do a time lapse of the printer

7E691D9C-EA6A-4E71-82E1-DF2F8AA5FD14.jpeg
throwing this out there as you are in the design/prototype phase. It would be great if you could fabricate an integrated mount for a quick release of the rain tray.

replacing each of the rain tray screws just to wash the car and then removing them again is a pain. I donā€™t want to do the magnet option. Any solution you could integrate would be worth paying for.

Big John

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500 CFTP
throwing this out there as you are in the design/prototype phase. It would be great if you could fabricate an integrated mount for a quick release of the rain tray.

replacing each of the rain tray screws just to wash the car and then removing them again is a pain. I donā€™t want to do the magnet option. Any solution you could integrate would be worth paying for.

@50 Deep Definitely do this, please and thanks.

kilobravo

Threads
Reaction score
Website
kilobravo.com
First Name
KB
Vehicle(s)
'16 CT6, '18 SD, '20 GT 500
I have only taken my tray off twice and it's a pain for sure. I'm never going to run her hard enough to need the extra cooling anyway.

But, I'm gonna guess that Terrance has enough on his plate with the vent and trying to figure out an easy way to attach the tray and still hold it securely, may be asking a bit much, Doc, I dunno.

I had one of the 14mm (I think) bolts give me an issue and it wound up slightly bent so I ordered a bag of them from Brittain no less. <laughing> But what I SHOULD have done was investigate whether some sort of "quarter turn" fasteners might also work. Not my wheelhouse but perhaps one of you has a suggestion.

Sponsored

DocGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Shadow Black GT500, 2019 Explorer Sport
I have only taken my tray off twice and it's a pain for sure. I'm never going to run her hard enough to need the extra cooling anyway.

But, I'm gonna guess that Terrance has enough on his plate with the vent and trying to figure out an easy way to attach the tray and still hold it securely, may be asking a bit much, Doc, I dunno.

I had one of the 14mm (I think) bolts give me an issue and it wound up slightly bent so I ordered a bag of them from Brittain no less. <laughing> But what I SHOULD have done was investigate whether some sort of "quarter turn" fasteners might also work. Not my wheelhouse but perhaps one of you has a suggestion.
a quarter turn option would be great. 4 quarter turn bolts would make that thing so easy to install and remove for washing.

protraxduner

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Shelby GT500 Race Red
Winged Dzus fasteners would be awesome, i think 4 would due and are super easy to use......now getting them integrated into vent and drip tray might be a challenge.....

dzus.PNG

protraxduner

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I am pretty familiar with Dzus fasteners as i have them on my off-road buggies, but haven't really looked to see if they could be applied to the stock setup.....but if engineering a new vent could certainly 'work' them in and make tabs/bosses for the retainers.....i think....

Edit: After looking at the stock vent and where/how the nutserts are in the plastic, it does not look like there is enough room to mount the spring associated with a normal Dzus fastener. However if one is engineering a new vent, they could double the size of the pads and i think it could work great......obviously there is more trial/error, measuring , clearance, etc that needs to be done.

Last edited:

Sponsored

gfcobra04

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Gary
Vehicle(s)
2000 Cobra R, 94 Lightning, 2020 GT500
Iā€™m interested in the new hood event and how it looks. T stated having the supports underneath instead of on top.

I took the rain tray off when I got the car home and never put it back.

marklboris

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
______ '20 Shelby GT500 FPB '21 Mach-E GTPE IS
Vehicle Showcase
I am pretty familiar with Dzus fasteners as i have them on my off-road buggies, but haven't really looked to see if they could be applied to the stock setup.....but if engineering a new vent could certainly 'work' them in and make tabs/bosses for the retainers.....i think....

Edit: After looking at the stock vent and where/how the nutserts are in the plastic, it does not look like there is enough room to mount the spring associated with a normal Dzus fastener. However if one is engineering a new vent, they could double the size of the pads and i think it could work great......obviously there is more trial/error, measuring , clearance, etc that needs to be done.
Back a few months ago, I replaced the OEM screws with 1/4 turn fasteners. I could have used the thumb type fastener but decided to go with a phillips screw 1/4 turn fastener as it looked more stock. I normally run with the rain tray off but when I do put it on, I only fasten 4 of the 8 screws which is enough to keep it on and tight for normal driving. I also added a plastic support pin at the bottom end to keep the tray up while fastening and unfastening which takes all of about 10 seconds to do. #561

protraxduner

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Back a few months ago, I replaced the OEM screws with 1/4 turn fasteners. I could have used the thumb type fastener but decided to go with a phillips screw 1/4 turn fastener as it looked more stock. I normally run with the rain tray off but when I do put it on, I only fasten 4 of the 8 screws which is enough to keep it on and tight for normal driving. I also added a plastic support pin at the bottom end to keep the tray up while fastening and unfastening which takes all of about 10 seconds to do. #561
Yes I remember that...i am only familiar with the full size dzus fasteners and assumed they made smaller.....I like the idea of the thumb screws

OP
OP
50 Deep

50 Deep

Signature Wheel Ford Rep
Gold Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.signaturewheel.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R
Weā€™re going to need more Elmers glue. So close to being done.

FC8FBF94-50A5-4D04-9856-F424E45B6837.jpeg
Sponsored