Sponsored

Exhaust Tone just sounds off, any ideas?

Kong76

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ingot Silver GT
Plugs, cats or AFR, fuel delivery. Cats should throw a code if bad.

All these would decrease performance so if that's normal I got nothing.
Sponsored

OP
OP
MikeyBoy

MikeyBoy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
Mustang Bullitt MY20
fouled plugs?
Swapped the plugs out with NGK though the original plugs were actually fine so got the set still with me.

Compression and leak down tests were also ok.

going to take it in and get a camera down to take a look at the cats though there are no codes being thrown.

Rapid Red

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
GT PP2 RaceRed Roush> Steeda> preformance
Vehicle Showcase
Time for the crystal ball, I'll toss out one tune related, if all is good as verified. Sounds like something going on timing wise or ignition.... guessing

How do the plugs look, was burning a lot of oil and now not......... odd

When did it change ? I wonder about this NGK, not a fan of those. Yes I know smaller heat range increments, & folks like that.

FrankM5

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Frank
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT 401a package
Hmm i also been experience some type of this problem. My car just stopped being so active in a way it just sounds sluggy but it runs great. Not sure if i can notice anything off with the car but i did hear my car start terrible once out of no where after that it the start ups been okay maybe i need new plugs its at 25k miles

OP
OP
MikeyBoy

MikeyBoy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
Mustang Bullitt MY20
Quick question, and out of curiosity, apologies if itā€™s a dumb question, but what does using a lower octane fuel achieve?...

Cats were fine. Car is running lean though, those sparks are like theyā€™re new out of the box after 2k miles now...

compression test done again, I think Bank 2 (left side?) was lower than bank 1 but within 10 tolerance..said it was unusual as bank 1 usually lower than bank 2? I might have the two mixed up there..thereā€™s literally no carbon buildup anywhere...

Sponsored

Matti777

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matthew
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT
Its cheaper which is fine unless your timing gets retarded or you get detonation.

spaz mk will

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Will
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT
Two other ideas that I have no knowledge to explore but Iā€™ll toss out for others to chew on. Ambient temperatures and its effect on intake temps, AFR, timing, etc and winter gas mix, if you get that in the U.K. Itā€™s been mostly below 5C/40F here for months and I would say I donā€™t hear much if any popping after a cold start like I know I do in summer. Conversely, Iā€™m also driving and shifting more conservatively especially until the transmission is warm. Quick shifts seem to get the most pops for me so maybe more likely when everything is warmer. No idea. I also have AE.

Sponsored
OP
OP
MikeyBoy

MikeyBoy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
Mustang Bullitt MY20
Two other ideas that I have no knowledge to explore but Iā€™ll toss out for others to chew on. Ambient temperatures and its effect on intake temps, AFR, timing, etc and winter gas mix, if you get that in the U.K. Itā€™s been mostly below 5C/40F here for months and I would say I donā€™t hear much if any popping after a cold start like I know I do in summer. Conversely, Iā€™m also driving and shifting more conservatively especially until the transmission is warm. Quick shifts seem to get the most pops for me so maybe more likely when everything is warmer. No idea. I also have AE.
I get you. Donā€™t get a winter gas mix. The reason I asked about the fuel was that I did run a couple of tanks lower octane and Iā€™ve driven it hard and something seemed to improve and the sound has almost got back to how it used to be...perplexed. I do need to get the car on a dyno again and data log or monitor the fuel ratio and trims, itā€™s obvs running very lean, if tune related I need to get that looked at

WD Pro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lime GT
Vehicle Showcase
I get you. Donā€™t get a winter gas mix. The reason I asked about the fuel was that I did run a couple of tanks lower octane and Iā€™ve driven it hard and something seemed to improve and the sound has almost got back to how it used to be...perplexed. I do need to get the car on a dyno again and data log or monitor the fuel ratio and trims, itā€™s obvs running very lean, if tune related I need to get that looked at
Ref winter gas mix : I was interested in that bit and a quick search found this recent U.K. specific document that seems to suggest there is : https://uk-air.defra.gov.uk/assets/...161339_Carbon_Factors_Petrol_Final_report.pdf

1613511148982.jpeg

I donā€™t know if thatā€™s a contributing factor to your question / problem though ... :like:

WD :like:

Rocketeer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
George
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT 401A PP
Check your flex mesh sleeves for leaks or soot creeping out of them, connecting cat sections to mid pipes.

Mustang_Lou

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang Bullitt
We get winter gas here too but I still have the rumble. It's not as nice as on summer gas but still have it.

Did you recently get a tune put on the car?

If not, I'd unplug the battery for a half hour to reset the fuel trims and hopefully get things back to normal.
Sponsored