Sponsored

Exhaust piping question-Video Included of sound

5-PT-OH

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT PP1
I just installed Borla S type axle back and Magnaflow tru x (CJPP), and it sounds absolutely amazing.

I’m not happy with where my tips landed in the valance on one side. Tired every combination of supporting the piping and tightening the clamps. I think it was with where the pipe was cut. I was curious if anyone knows if the ford racing by Borla piping on the passenger side if cut would mate up to the tru x pipe and axle back? Possibly where I can order it as well? Trying to avoid having to do a full custom exhaust with these components.

Thanks in advance for any insight.

***Edited to add video/sound clip of exhaust***

I thought my exhaust was a little more exotic when initially installed. After 1000 mile break in the tone became less baritone/higher pitched but more towards the lower end of the baritone spectrum.
Sponsored

Last edited:

VinnAY

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Camaro 1SS/1LE
Prefab stuff is going to limit you in the range of motion, if you will, on how you can set up your tips. I have an axle back that I wasn't all that happy with the tip placement so I took it in to the muffler shop and had them do a litle cut n weld to get them to set the way I wanted them too; $50.

OP
OP
5-PT-OH

5-PT-OH

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT PP1
Thanks for the insight guys. I’ll head to a shop and see if they can straighten it out for me.

Any one out there have your exhaust systems welded in? Any issues with welding up 403 (like stock and magna flow) and 304 (like Borla) stainless together?

VinnAY

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Camaro 1SS/1LE
Thanks for the insight guys. I’ll head to a shop and see if they can straighten it out for me.

Any one out there have your exhaust systems welded in? Any issues with welding up 403 (like stock and magna flow) and 304 (like Borla) stainless together?
I'll tell what a company with the letters, A, W, and E, told me...said if I welded it up, vs using their clamp, it was modified and the warranty would be void.

LOL

Sponsored

OP
OP
5-PT-OH

5-PT-OH

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT PP1
I'll tell what a company with the letters, A, W, and E, told me...said if I welded it up, vs using their clamp, it was modified and the warranty would be void.

LOL
3 letters come to mind after hearing that

W
O
W

I’m hopeful that BORLA and MAGNAFLOW wouldn’t say the same...

@borla @MagnaFlow I didn’t see anything in your product brochures about this. Does welding in your cut and clamp product void warranty on them?

ironsurvivor

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Premium/401a/10r80
3 letters come to mind after hearing that

W
O
W

I’m hopeful that BORLA and MAGNAFLOW wouldn’t say the same...

@borla @MagnaFlow I didn’t see anything in your product brochures about this. Does welding in your cut and clamp product void warranty on them?
Anyway you could post an exhaust video? I have an H pipe on mine with active exhaust and i was looking at the borla s type active system.

OP
OP
5-PT-OH

5-PT-OH

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT PP1
Anyway you could post an exhaust video? I have an H pipe on mine with active exhaust and i was looking at the borla s type active system.
I’ll be putting up a video of this at some point. I haven’t seen anything on YT with this combo of resonator and mufflers. The one thing is I don’t have an active exhaust. I think the active s types are plumbed a little differently? I’m not sure how much my video would help with your setup.

These mufflers are mean sounding, when you’re on it but absolutely quiet when cruising (my wife thinks my setup is quieter than stock cruising). To be honest my system doesn’t sound like the Borla videos below, I have a Magnaflow resonator in line. The best description I can give is mine sounds rather exotic.

Borla active exhaust video:
https://www.borla.com/blog/2019/01/...for-2018-ford-mustang-gt-with-active-exhaust/

jmeiers

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP1/401A/A10
Vehicle Showcase
Just simply bend the muffler hangers and with trial and error you will get the tip placement that is perfect for you. Free and easy to do yourself.

CrashOverride

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT

Looks like they are different classes of stainless, but according to this chart, a filler material of 309, 310 or 312 will work. To be honest, just about anything will work because it's not a mission-critical (e.g. needs to be x-rayed or is a structural) weld. I'm as far from a professional welder as you can get, but I welded stock 403 to 304 and even mild gauge steel with regular old mild steel flux core wire (So yeah, mine is a crappy-but-custom-welded-by-me system). Yes, it will rust on the weld as well as near the weld, but where I'm at, rust isn't an issue.

If you don't drive your car in lousy weather, then it shouldn't be an issue for you. But - if you take it to even a decent exhaust shop, they should have at the minimum 309 available.

I would take a welded system any day over the clamps though.
Sponsored