Sponsored

Exhaust Mods that is louder than stock but no drone?

ZeroTX

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ZERO
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
My 92 LX 5.0 with Flowmasters was big fave in certain rpm ranges. Kinda slow but it sounded great and had those gorgeous stainless tail pipes.
Perhaps nostalgia, or whatever, but for me the fuel injected 86-93 5.0 5-speeds (GT or LX) w/ Flowmaster 40's are the coolest, best, and most uniquely identifiable specific make/model ever made in any mass-produced form. I graduated high school in '93 and back then you'd be sitting at Pizza Hut (aging myself even more) or on your couch at home and you'd hear it and know EXACTLY what kind of car you were hearing. I had dreams of owning one . I became frustrated in the 2000's when people started gutting those cars into race cars and putting carb'd 351s in them, or camming them beyond recognition... etc. Ruined the MAIN cool part about the car... fuel injected 302 HO ..... It wasn't fast by today's standards, but certainly was considered quick back then.
Sponsored

Firsttexan

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2011 GT500 '19 GT PP1 '13 GT500, 98 GT, 92 LX 5.0
Vehicle Showcase
Perhaps nostalgia, or whatever, but for me the fuel injected 86-93 5.0 5-speeds (GT or LX) w/ Flowmaster 40's are the coolest, best, and most uniquely identifiable specific make/model ever made in any mass-produced form. I graduated high school in '93 and back then you'd be sitting at Pizza Hut (aging myself even more) or on your couch at home and you'd hear it and know EXACTLY what kind of car you were hearing. I had dreams of owning one . I became frustrated in the 2000's when people started gutting those cars into race cars and putting carb'd 351s in them, or camming them beyond recognition... etc. Ruined the MAIN cool part about the car... fuel injected 302 HO ..... It wasn't fast by today's standards, but certainly was considered quick back then.
Best car I ever had for the money. Loaded 1992 red/BLK LX 5.0 5spd,hatch out the door for $16k. That would be $32k today. Base GT is still a good deal.

They should offer a stripper LX S550 w/V8. Although back then. There was no mechanical difference between an LX and a GT.

Better looking and lighter than the GT of the time IMO.

Last edited:

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
Borla S-Type vs Corsa Sport vs MBRP Street

Just watch this and decide the type of sound you like, all 3 sounds are very different and it will give you a better idea of what your style is. It goes through start up and drive by sounds, and some good feedback from Bill. It's also a good baseline to decide what budget you're willing to spend on a good catback.

Not to be biased but this video is what helped me spend the extra coin on the Borla.
MBRP is the most affordable at around $1200 but I personally don't like that sound.
Unfortunately that video isn't that accurate in my opinion, either their microphone was too close to the car, or it wasn't very good quality. I love me some Borla S Type, but in real life the MBRP isn't that different, especially in the lower RPM. The S Type has a better howl when you get up there, whereas MBRP sounds more like the Roush when you get on it. But it's not some massive difference in sound. Just my two cents though. That's the worst part of exhaust shopping, it's so hard to get an accurate idea of what something sounds like unless you can hear it in person.

ZeroTX

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ZERO
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
My findings are that listening to YouTube videos of exhausts is very inconclusive with regard to how they really sound in person. At high DBs, the microphone will either cut out or will make it sound quieter than it is. With the mic up close to the car, even a quiet exhaust sounds pretty loud. Then there's listening to it on computer speakers or dinky Airpods and thinking they accurately represent the bass sound that a V8 exhausts puts out.

That's why the posts and recommendations here are WILDLY different from each other. Each person has a different preference, tolerance level, and even those things change rapidly over time. Example: You install a new exhaust/muffler/muffler-delete, and it seems CRAZY loud to you, and you leave the shop excited.... then after a road trip, you HATE it and wish you'd never done it... then 6 months later, you don't even notice the sound and you are looking at options to make it louder. I guess it's a good thing there are so many options for these cars :)

Sponsored

ZeroTX

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ZERO
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
thats to much money for me to spend. my opinion if ya gonna drop 3k on exhaust and dont even get headers then damn son
Some of these cat-back setups are just being sold opportunistically. Look at the same level of construction, material, etc, for the same exhaust by the same brand, but for OLDER cars.... See the difference? If you want a Borla for a 2002 WS6 it'll cost you substantially less than one for a 2022 Mustang GT.

Borla:
  1. $1193 MSRP for the Camaro Z28/SS/WS6 for 1999-2002. This is an ADJUSTABLE system, where you change out a plate to adjust sound volume and direct exhaust through a bypass or a muffler. This is a full cat-back that connects to the factory Y-pipe after the cats. Quad stainless Borla tips.
  2. $1948 MSRP for 2018-2021 Mustang GT "ATAK" cat-back. This is for the non-active exhaust cars.
That's 39% higher for a new Mustang version over an old Camaro/Firebird verison by the same company.

Last edited:

Soulja4187

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT Premium & 2022 Audi A5 S-Line
thats to much money for me to spend. my opinion if ya gonna drop 3k on exhaust and dont even get headers then damn son
I already ordered my headers so we good there. Plus I got a great deal on this set up.

Last edited:

Soulja4187

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT Premium & 2022 Audi A5 S-Line
The best thing will be for the OP to go to a car meet and talk to the Mustang group and see what they are running and how they sound

Mustangfreek

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15’ GT
Ok
They all to have the “rasp”to em, some more. The S , sounds deeper.

looking at the S catback now, as just looked under my car and they cut and welded there crappysetup right where the catback starts, so kinda need the new lead pipes off the factory cats now I guess

i see they have a 2.5 and 3” catback..safe to assume the 3” is louder?

Last edited:

Albertcado

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6spd
Ok
allseem to have the “rasp”to em

looking at the S now also

i see they have a 2.5 and 3” spcatbavk..safe to assume the 3” is louder?
Borla S-Type as one of the least raspy sounds when you really get on it,
it gets loud but still sounds grumbly and throaty

MBRP and Roush definitely screech and rasp in the upper rpms, it was to loud for my preference
I did some highway pulls with someone who had the MBRP and it was very loud and higher pitched if that makes sense.
As @ice445 mentioned, the Borla S Type has a very nice growl overall, it wasn't cheap though.

Sponsored

Mustangfreek

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15’ GT
Thanks

Cheaper then the Corsa catback

Main goal is a nice sound and to get rid of as much if not all the drone.

Seems like the corsa has the most + feedback on em

How is the S , in terms of drone?

Im ordering something this weekend, so help me out :)

Albertcado

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6spd
Thanks

Cheaper then the Corsa catback

Main goal is a nice sound and to get rid of as much if not all the drone.

How is the S , in terms of drone?

Im ordering something this weekend, so help me out :)
I have a 2020 GT manual and have no drone, I can hear the exhaust, but it's not an annoying or drone noise, more like a cruising muscle car.
If you have a manual, the downshifts noises and engine braking sound amazing.

ZeroTX

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ZERO
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
Basically everything is cheaper than Corsa. Corsa has been ridiculously overpriced for as long as I've heard of them since my 4th gen F-body days. Borla isn't far behind, but they are in logic-land. Corsa is just dumb. They want like $600 for an X-pipe. Just an X-pipe.

Albertcado

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6spd
Basically everything is cheaper than Corsa. Corsa has been ridiculously overpriced for as long as I've heard of them since my 4th gen F-body days. Borla isn't far behind, but they are in logic-land. Corsa is just dumb. They want like $600 for an X-pipe. Just an X-pipe.
I agree, when I was researching which catback to buy, all Corsas were always much more expensive and the sound didn't justify why. Borla is right behind it but I think it's "almost" worth the price, at least you won't be disappointed with the sound.

Mustangfreek

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15’ GT
Ya everything is too much for some pipes..lol

getting a quote on the S setups now

Already got a quote for 1680 shipped for corsa extreme catback
Sponsored