Exhaust leak, help, fills cabin, random

351MachOne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Shelby GT350
2015, 5.0 MT, PP

Car has Corsa Catback.

This has happened 5-6 times over the life of the car. I will come to a stop and get a VERY distinct exhaust leak fume smell.

Usually, the windows are down or cracked and it dissipates very quickly, so that I can't tell if it is another vehicle around me or my vehicle.

Today, with the windows up, I came to a stop and the fumes flooded the cabin. Not that I couldn't see, but it was alarming. Car is running COMPLETELY normal. No idle issues, no CEL, normal temps, normal everything.

After I stopped and smelled the leak, I saw what looked like smoke trickling out from under the hood on the passenger side near the windshield. It only lasted a second. I pulled over to do a safety check, nothing.

No sign of a leak, no carbon, no real smell at all. However, hours later my interior still smells like an open header.

What are your thoughts? Is this a loose header bolt? I remember reading that they are not very tight from the factory.

Thanks!
Sponsored

jasonstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GB GT/CS 6MT
Check your valve cover gaskets.
Are your clamps torqued to spec?

whalesalad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP
Reviving this thread. I have an open header smell at WOT that completely fills the cabin and smells like shit. Corsa sport catback, stock headers.

I just took it to the dealer and will update status here. Drives me nuts that the service writer interpreted my message of "there is an exhaust leak pre-cat on the drivers side" and wrote this :mad:
DTqzo6sUMAAq65f.jpeg

db252

Equinsu Ocha
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 GT Premium/PP/Nav
I had a leaking flex pipe on my 16. There is only one and it’s down stream of the cat on the passenger side. I had it replaced with solid pipe and no more smell.

whalesalad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP
Guy just called me and said that due to my aftermarket exhaust (catback) they would not be able to fix anything under warranty.

I explained that due to the smell, this is an issue happening before the cat and is part of the factory header system. It was really hard to break through and convince the guy that I am not just some idiot. He even said, "not sure if you know this but someone has installed a different exhaust on your car".

So finally I slowly explained that I thought it was a pre-cat issue, it happens at WOT and comes up through the tunnel flooding the cabin. Not in a subtle way, but in a very overwhelming way. I said that I felt it was a safety concern.

At this point he said he would go take it for a test drive. I told him to really get on it. Waiting to hear back.

Sponsored

Einstein_nikola

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sir Galahad
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP
Guy just called me and said that due to my aftermarket exhaust (catback) they would not be able to fix anything under warranty.

I explained that due to the smell, this is an issue happening before the cat and is part of the factory header system. It was really hard to break through and convince the guy that I am not just some idiot. He even said, "not sure if you know this but someone has installed a different exhaust on your car".

So finally I slowly explained that I thought it was a pre-cat issue, it happens at WOT and comes up through the tunnel flooding the cabin. Not in a subtle way, but in a very overwhelming way. I said that I felt it was a safety concern.

At this point he said he would go take it for a test drive. I told him to really get on it. Waiting to hear back.
What happened next?

Einstein_nikola

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sir Galahad
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP
3 years later, obviously nothing
Savage lmaoo, Im catless and it smells horrible inside the car if idle at a stop but thats normal tho lol just when I drive even if i got the windows up and no heater or AC on, the smell Still gets in for some odd reason idk if its slowing going in thru my vents or idk but I neverrr use my AC or heater, because i dont like the car feeling all slow and stuff. Plus thats what the dailys for haha i typically use it when its nice out and not ugly. So definitely not the vents. Unless its thru my trunk? Since i got a rear seat delete for 2 purposes, for I can hear the subwoofer and weight reduction.

scotty

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
Savage lmaoo, Im catless and it smells horrible inside the car if idle at a stop but thats normal tho lol just when I drive even if i got the windows up and no heater or AC on, the smell Still gets in for some odd reason idk if its slowing going in thru my vents or idk but I neverrr use my AC or heater, because i dont like the car feeling all slow and stuff. Plus thats what the dailys for haha i typically use it when its nice out and not ugly. So definitely not the vents. Unless its thru my trunk? Since i got a rear seat delete for 2 purposes, for I can hear the subwoofer and weight reduction.
Lol, finally, someone with a sense of humor.

The same thing happens in my car... Happened with stock manifolds and a cat back, and still does after installing long tubes and high flow cats. I always drive with the windows open or the AC/Heat going, so I don't give it much thought. With that being said, even if your heater or AC is off and the windows are up, the ventilation system is still open to the outside unless you have recirculate turned on.

Einstein_nikola

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sir Galahad
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP
Lol, finally, someone with a sense of humor.

The same thing happens in my car... Happened with stock manifolds and a cat back, and still does after installing long tubes and high flow cats. I always drive with the windows open or the AC/Heat going, so I don't give it much thought. With that being said, even if your heater or AC is off and the windows are up, the ventilation system is still open to the outside unless you have recirculate turned on.
Haha I know right bro(laughing emoji) people gotta have some humor man haha , no definitely not recirculating but i guess because its catless smand 93oct because when im on E85 definitely dont smell anything even when the car is on the ghost cam so your right there is ventilation always coming in the cabin. Btw you got Instagram you should add me for we can keep in touch!(thumbs up) PM if you do got IG.
Sponsored