Cruizer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang Ecoboost Premium
Vehicle Showcase
Lately at low idle to slow acceleration I've been hearing some clanking or chatter. I could tell it was metal and sounded like exhaust. So I banged around on the exhaust tips and sure enough, clank, clank, clank. I look up under there and the hangers right before the exhaust splits in different directions are rubbing the rear sway bar. The sway bar even has some wear on it.

The rear end has BRM Performance 0.5" lowering springs. I'm also running a Roush Catback Exhaust. I crawled under it today and busted everything lose. I could not get the exhaust to move up and away from the sway bar. I lowered the car and reset it on the ground. Look up under it and still on the sway bar. Lifted the car 1/2 inch, still on the sway bar.

Only thing I can think of is cutting a 1/2 - 3/4 inch of the pipe connected to the downpipe. There is not a lot of rear hanger to pull away from though.

Has anyone run in to this problem? Could you fix the issue?
Sponsored

MiDiablo

#JustA4Banger
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
First Name
Josh
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT PP 400A 10R80 RTR Spec 5 Widebody
Vehicle Showcase
You need to start all the way at the downpipe connection, and loosen everything again. The 2 15s at the downpipe connection to your exhaust, any of the cut/clamp hangers from your Roush pieces, and the two 13s that attach the arms to the IRS subframe. Once you've done this, start at the sway bar interference location and create the necessary clearance there. Usually I place my fist above the exhaust, below the sway bar, and then tighten that clamp first. Then work your way through the rest of the hangers/fasteners and tighten accordingly. Check tip fitment finally before lowering car, and should be good to go. I've installed thousands (not exaggerating) of exhausts on S550s, and you never have to cut anything to make something fit like you'd suggested in your OP. It's just a "rob a little from here, to get it over there" type deal. Take your time, you'll get it right, I promise.

Side Note - if it's a convertible, use the spacers we offer for additional clearance.
Second Side Note - you can place a small piece of dynamat on the rear sway bar to help "deaden" the sound if you're still unable to resolve. In instances where a customer improperly cut their OEM tubing to install an Axle Back, sometimes this is the only suitable route. Most of the time, I grab another OEM exhaust off the side of the building and cut it onto that unit myself, lol.

OP
OP
Cruizer

Cruizer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang Ecoboost Premium
Vehicle Showcase
You need to start all the way at the downpipe connection, and loosen everything again. The 2 15s at the downpipe connection to your exhaust, any of the cut/clamp hangers from your Roush pieces, and the two 13s that attach the arms to the IRS subframe. Once you've done this, start at the sway bar interference location and create the necessary clearance there. Usually I place my fist above the exhaust, below the sway bar, and then tighten that clamp first. Then work your way through the rest of the hangers/fasteners and tighten accordingly. Check tip fitment finally before lowering car, and should be good to go. I've installed thousands (not exaggerating) of exhausts on S550s, and you never have to cut anything to make something fit like you'd suggested in your OP. It's just a "rob a little from here, to get it over there" type deal. Take your time, you'll get it right, I promise.

Side Note - if it's a convertible, use the spacers we offer for additional clearance.
Second Side Note - you can place a small piece of dynamat on the rear sway bar to help "deaden" the sound if you're still unable to resolve. In instances where a customer improperly cut their OEM tubing to install an Axle Back, sometimes this is the only suitable route. Most of the time, I grab another OEM exhaust off the side of the building and cut it onto that unit myself, lol.
I took everything loose a week and half ago. Twisted and pushed everything towards the downpipe. Everything is bottomed out in the clamps. I made sure the pipes were connected before tightening the clamps. It's rubbing enough it's wearing the rear sway bar. I fear it would wear through the Dynamat but good idea for short term. I'll try and get some pics this weekend when I can get under it. I need to rotate tires anyways.

Thanks for the comments. This is my first time using an exhaust like this. Usually I just have a local shop weld in what I wanted for other vehicles.
Sponsored