Sponsored

Exhaust - Go cheap or pony up the cash (Corsa Sport)

Bluemustang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Base GT
I see a ton of exhaust threads and recommendations out there. Some people go the inexpensive route, some people pay a hefty price premium for the name brand or add'l features such as active exhaust.

When I started out I decided I wanted a louder exhaust setup. The OEM exhaust on the 15-17 GT sounds weak and tiny. So almost any aftermarket exhaust was going to suit my fancy. I just wanted it to sound more like a Mustang should.

But, I didn't want to pay $1200-1500 for the highest rated name-brand exhaust systems. So I did some research and set out to find an affordable option that sounds good. After all it's just metal pipes? I ended getting a Gibson catback and at first I really loved it. Didn't really notice the drone either at first - I was too preoccupied with the wall of sound it created.

Fast forward about 3 years later: I found out yes, it has drone. Even though there are others that drone more, it's the kind of thing that really wears on you over time. Also, it didn't really have "it". In the upper rpm range it was a little too smooth and just wasn't exciting. A friend had been trying to convince me that there better systems out there that really enhance the driving experience. I was quite skeptical. It's just metal pipes after all. Why am I going to pay $1500 for metal pipes?

Finally I'd had enough and also had another reason to change my exhaust anyway. Through much research and the advice of my friend I decided to buy a Corsa Sport catback. All I could say was WOW. I started enjoying driving so much more. The sound encourages me and spurs me on. It's exotic sounding and theatrical and quite loud when I go WOT. But it's also civilized when it needs to be and not really any drone to speak of. I can actually using higher gears/lower rpm and not get surrounded by a booming drone. Basically I'd seen the light and now understand why Corsa charges so much for it. It's worth it. I've also heard the Extreme and could have easily gone with that and been very happy.

So, the whole point of this post is I changed my mind and now see the benefit of a better driving experience. Hopefully my experience is helpful to anyone doing first mods on their Mustang and considering an aftermarket exhaust. You get what you pay for.
Sponsored

XS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP
Agreed. Top of my pet peeve list in the car world are people who make cheap and easy exhaust mods. I'm not raggin on your Gibson system, they're fine in my book. I mean the REALLY cheap people getting the lowest cost mufflers from Summit, etc (or just straight piping). They are EVERYWHERE around me and it's so cringy to me because there is a big difference between loud and nice. What's more are the people putting the cheapest glasspacks on their trucks from Summit racing. It doesn't sound good, and honestly.... it just advertises to the world how slow their truck is when they stand on the gas and it takes 30 seconds to go from second to third - from the outside, to me, it's just eughhhhh I'm embarrassed for you bro. But they aren't, it's just "my ride is SO LOUD ruh ruh ruh...". Anyway, rant aside, yes I agree there's a difference between loud and nice, and nice usually commands more money.

OP
OP
Bluemustang

Bluemustang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Base GT
Agreed. Top of my pet peeve list in the car world are people who make cheap and easy exhaust mods. I'm not raggin on your Gibson system, they're fine in my book. I mean the REALLY cheap people getting the lowest cost mufflers from Summit, etc (or just straight piping). They are EVERYWHERE around me and it's so cringy to me because there is a big difference between loud and nice. What's more are the people putting the cheapest glasspacks on their trucks from Summit racing. It doesn't sound good, and honestly.... it just advertises to the world how slow their truck is when they stand on the gas and it takes 30 seconds to go from second to third - from the outside, to me, it's just eughhhhh I'm embarrassed for you bro. But they aren't, it's just "my ride is SO LOUD ruh ruh ruh...". Anyway, rant aside, yes I agree there's a difference between loud and nice, and nice usually commands more money.
Yeah, there's a huge difference between just loud and nice and loud. I discovered that actually a ton of engineering goes into the premium systems. Having looked at a cross section of the internals of the Corsa muffler it's apparent.

I also am a believer in a full engineered system. You can still make it sound nice by piecing sections together, however, you have to realize the engineering/design that goes into it. For example, if you did just the Corsa axleback (without the double helix X pipe) or the other way around, it's going to sound different and probably there will be something about it you don't like. Modifying different sections of the exhaust makes it sound different. Another example: you can kill drone with a resonator, but in doing so you also kill a portion of the sound that makes it great.

Sponsored

Jordan @ Lethal

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.lethalperformance.com
First Name
Jordan
Vehicle(s)
2016 Stingray M7
Sadly, it's worth it to spend the extra $$$. I have run several exhausts over the years and my favorite two have been the most expensive. I currently have the Corsa Sports on my car (because I want sound and don't want bloody ears anymore) and they are undoubtedly the best; Roush was my second personal favorite. The sound is crispy-clean with burbles and that whip crack right between fast shifts. I'm now spoiled :3

corsa

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase
El cheapo H-pipe from AM. SLP loudmouth II from team beefcake, gutted felines from your's truly. No drone. no rasp. Deep bassy exhaust sound. Next up will be the downpipes from the cats to the midpipe. All in all I'll have less than 700 buckaroos into it. Cheap doesn't necessarily mean worse. Cheers !!

Brian@BMVK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT - Sold
El cheapo H-pipe from AM. SLP loudmouth II from team beefcake, gutted felines from your's truly. No drone. no rasp. Deep bassy exhaust sound. Next up will be the downpipes from the cats to the midpipe. All in all I'll have less than 700 buckaroos into it. Cheap doesn't necessarily mean worse. Cheers !!
I've heard this combination in another members car. Deep, bassy, no rasp...yes. No drone? No. It's not horrible but it definitely drones and is super boomy in the cabin.

kevinvan6000

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020Mustang GT
I was really happy with my catless LTH, Jones stainless X-pipe muffler/resonator into a Legato axle back on my 17. Pretty tame at idle and driving around, but crisp and loud at WOT. It was a pretty low buck system. Probably cost around 700 all in front to back, brand new. I'm running the same 2m headers and Jones resonator into the factory axle back on my 20 and I think it sounds terrible. It's embarrassingly bad. Can't wait to swap it out.

Sponsored

tnk_2

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Henry
Vehicle(s)
2020 mustang GT, 401A, auto, CS, Ford SS.
yeah, I am looking at the Borla Atak or S-type right now. Still not sure what to get and I am waiting for a sale. what discount do you guys think it will be this thanksgiving, 10-15% off?

Whitewalkers550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2017 mustang gt premium, 1973 mustang conv.
I'm about to get the corsa sport with double h pipe to go with my hi flow catted kooks headers so hopefully it'll sound as good as I'm imagining

Idaho2018GTPremium

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Camaro ZL1 A10
Yep, you get engineered sound with high end systems. Borla S type FTW!