EV's.......... πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 gt, 2002 FXDWG, 2008 C6,
it's likely that govt will create a shortage and/or cause the price of electricity to rise significantly with stupid regulations, etc. with or without EVs.
This is already happening.
Sponsored

sk47

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
Chevy Silverado & Nissan Sentra SE
likely that govt will create a shortage and/or cause the price of electricity to rise significantly with stupid regulations, etc. with or without EVs.
Hello; Going by the track record this seems the likely case.

sk47

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
The current group in charge are shutting down power stations.
Hello; Two sets of environmentalists are at odds. One group has managed to get hydroelectric dams either torn down or scheduled to be torn down to save salmon. Another wants more "green" energy sources.
Dams have a large carbon footprint when being built to be sure. But the one recently breeched was already built so could be making green energy today.

Thing is i like salmon. To eat for sure but also like the concept of a thriving wild population. Reminds me of the opposites when it comes to domestic cattle and wild herds of grass grazers. Wild bison and such are thought of as good while cattle are bad. A puzzle.

markayash

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Marc
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang
That's only an issue if the govt makes it one. Utilities make money selling electricity. Unless forbidden, they will build out what they need to provide all the electricity customers will buy. And since many/most existing utilities have significant excess capacity some hours of the day, they can practically give the stuff away during those times. I pay 7 cents per KWH to charge my EV off peak but around 3 times that amount in other hours. Supply and demand: Raise the peak time rates enough to drive loads that can be done any time into the times of excess capacity.

However, while there does not need to be any future shortage of electricity (I exclude govt stupidity as a NEED), it's likely that govt will create a shortage and/or cause the price of electricity to rise significantly with stupid regulations, etc. with or without EVs.
I have also heard another issues is a lot of places have old wiring to the house that may not handle the load.

our fearless leaders are trying to force people to buy them vs making them attractive

sk47

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
Discovering the challenges of an electric car in winter: Manufacturers remain silent (msn.com)

Hello; I have a potential solution or two. One is take a page from decades ago. I believe some early air cooled cars had a small heater which burned gasoline or some similar fuel. In cold climes ad a fossil fueled heater.

Other idea is to mount a small water cooled ICE engine to the EV. Run the ICE and use the heat to warm the cabin. The small ice engine could also charge the EV battery. What to call such a thing? A hydra maybe?

Sponsored

sk47

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
I have also heard another issues is a lot of places have old wiring to the house that may not handle the load.

our fearless leaders are trying to force people to buy them vs making them attractive
Hello; not only old wiring but possibly aluminum wires or just a 100 amp service breaker box. Newer homes often have 200 amp boxes, but not all. It takes around 50 amps to run a quick EV charger best as i can determine.
I think you can maybe get by with a 30 amp circuit such as is used for a water heater, stove/oven or clothes dryer. Trade off will be much slower charging rate. Guess you could plug into a 110 volt outlet but might take days to charge for a decent range.

markayash

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Marc
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang
Hello; not only old wiring but possibly aluminum wires or just a 100 amp service breaker box. Newer homes often have 200 amp boxes, but not all. It takes around 50 amps to run a quick EV charger best as i can determine.
I think you can maybe get by with a 30 amp circuit such as is used for a water heater, stove/oven or clothes dryer. Trade off will be much slower charging rate. Guess you could plug into a 110 volt outlet but might take days to charge for a decent range.
I was ready to buy a tesla, knew it was expensive but heard they are a blast to drive.

Show stopper was I do a trip 2 or 3 times a year that's about 375 miles. Often at night and several in crazy rain..
So stopping an hour out and waiting to charging my car was 1 deal breaker.

2nd one was I used a Tesla charging cost tool and it was going to cost me $40 to charge it. The place we stay is a apartment and no way to charge..so do the math even on the Ecoboost...
Would use around 13 to 14 gallons at even $3 a gallon is cheaper and takes 5 minutes. Plus the Mustang will make it on a tank.

Last, heard I can charge it at my house, your right a wall charger was something like 18 hours..Said ideally I need a 220V 40Amp circuit and running that to a finished garage wouldn't be cheap.

And they really wonder why Americans aren't standing inline to buy them??? I think tesla sell becasue they are super nice and people enjoy driving them.

HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
Winchestertonfieldville (ok, Scottsdale), AZ
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
It takes a 60 amp 240 volt circuit for optimum charging or 30-40 amp for reasonable charging rate. Charging off a 120 volt outlet overnight won't get you many miles range. If you have an unused or sharable 240v outlet for a oven or dryer that's a decent and cheap compromise. Adding a new 40 or 60 amp 240 circuit is not cheap and may not be practical or may not meet code.

If that isn't possible were you live, then you may have to charge it at a public DC fast charger. Way less convenient than buying gas for a car. Much fewer locations plus the KWH is probably MUCH more expensive than at home. To top it off, you can't even stray too far while charging. Most chargers ding you for several dollars per minute if you don't vacate the spot as soon as done.

I wouldn't have considered an EV if I could not charge at home. Which rules out many/most apartments and rental/lease homes unless the owner is okay with you paying to run a circuit and if there is even enough capacity to add such a circuit.

People better wise up and send our fearless leaders packing.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
It will be interesting to see what happens if very few people want to buy EVs and whether laws change. I typically assume that huge businesses with lots of money heavily influence new legislation, because our fearless leaders need funding to get re-elected.

I guess it depends on the end goals and which businesses have the most money?

The thing I dislike most about EVs is they are for rich people. Poor people will lose out big time if the ICE goes away. Have an apartment? No more car for you! Like to buy cheap, used cars? Sorry, they're all being thrown away now because the batteries died and the batteries cost more than the car is worth.

Sponsored

markayash

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Marc
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang
It will be interesting to see what happens if very few people want to buy EVs and whether laws change. I typically assume that huge businesses with lots of money heavily influence new legislation, because our fearless leaders need funding to get re-elected.

I guess it depends on the end goals and which businesses have the most money?

The thing I dislike most about EVs is they are for rich people. Poor people will lose out big time if the ICE goes away. Have an apartment? No more car for you! Like to buy cheap, used cars? Sorry, they're all being thrown away now because the batteries died and the batteries cost more than the car is worth.
Good point and we know oil companies have deep pockets

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
Im.frankly amazed the uaw isn't screaming bloody murdr to whomever will listen that their industry is going to be gutted and with it jobs

sk47

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
Im.frankly amazed the uaw isn't screaming bloody murdr to whomever will listen that their industry is going to be gutted and with it jobs
Hello; they very recently had a strike. Afraid i did not follow the details close enough but do recall reports which mentioned how EV's will or may require fewer workers. Not sure how the union negotiators worked that out.
I may be mistaken about this perception but sort of felt like the workers got a shiny new raise and may have been distracted from the down the road potential layoffs.

I get there are to be issues with raw materials for EV's and green energy equipment. China may have a lock on vital raw materials and EV + green energy equipment. May be the one of the last chapters of jobs moving out of the US. I am old enough to recall Ross Perot warning of that sucking sound back a few decades ago.

A caveat. China may have a financial crash due to way overbuilding housing and office buildings. Might dwarf the one back in 2007-2008.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
Good point and we know oil companies have deep pockets
Thanks. I don' t know whether oil companies care too much about the ICE. Oil has so many uses and no way are diesel locomotives and semi trucks going to be replaced by all electric.

And EVERYTHING is made from plastic nowadays. There are so few manufactured products that don't have at least some plastic in them.
Sponsored