Sponsored

Everyone over torques lugs...Ford...Tire shops...

Briebee72

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2019
So both times I Have had tires changed and My buddy he changes tires a lot. We keep having the issue with the Dealers and tire shops over tightening the lugs. On my buddies car we did some work on it and we couldn't get the dang lugs off with a air impact. We had to get a cross tire iron and both get on it to get them to break loose. This seems to be a common thing. Ford says 150 lbs on the lungs and some these places are just wrenching them down I bet 200 plus pounds. Even Discount tire who I mentioned it too and they even had on the work order 150 lbs. When I got home and checks some were on way over 150 and some were at 130 they ain't checking nothing. Just air wrenching them on and done. All these people who claim they can judge lbs torque from sound of air gun. Um apparently not. Please just use a torque wrench on my wheel how hard is that?
Sponsored

Last edited:

RogV

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Roger
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT, 2018 F150 Lariat SuperCrew, 1970 Mustang Mach 1, 1967 Fairlane GTA, 1957 T-Bird & more.

Linkster1666

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Link
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium Orange Fury PP1 A10 401A 3:55
Vehicle Showcase
First world problem, the Discount Tire paperwork clearly states that the customer check the wheels after 50-100 miles for torque specs..

Slopoke

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ed
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP1 10R80
After I took one of my cars to what I thought was a reputable tire shop, they stripped the threads on a wheel stud. After that experience, I now take the wheel and tire assy to a shop and I re-install on the car myself.

Silver Bullitt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Coupe PP2
Most shops are just too lazy to set their guns to 100 lb-ft and finish them off with a torque wrench. And, they don't want the liability of a wheel coming off either. So they just impact them on as high as they can.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Briebee72

Briebee72

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2019
First world problem, the Discount Tire paperwork clearly states that the customer check the wheels after 50-100 miles for torque specs..
How is them over torquing the lug got anything to do with that? That's to check they aren't coming loose.

OP
OP
Briebee72

Briebee72

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2019
Most shops are just too lazy to set their guns to 100 lb-ft and finish them off with a torque wrench. And, they don't want the liability of a wheel coming off either. So they just impact them on as high as they can.
Yeah but that is bad as well isnt it. I mean ford sets a spec for a reason.

Sigma6

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jay
Vehicle(s)
02’ 360, 06’ GT, 11’ GT500, 15’ 911, 17’ 350
I’ve been there & periodically still there. It frustrating to say the least. It’s not really shop dependent either vs who working that hour unless it’s a small place. I also break my hand trying to get tires off. Especially the daily driver, mustang not so much unless it’s in for a new set.

plc268

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Patrick
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium Race Red
Those tire irons are really a terrible way to get over torqued lug nuts off. A 2 foot breaker bar will make easy work of 99% of lug nuts when you put your body weight into it. If you still struggle, then add a cheater pipe. Use leverage to your advantage.

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
Pick better tire shops!

You can’t teach an old dog to lead a horse to water, but you can’t make him drink. After all, its better to have torqued and sheared a lug nut than to have never torqued at all!

Sponsored
OP
OP
Briebee72

Briebee72

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2019
Those tire irons are really a terrible way to get over torqued lug nuts off. A 2 foot breaker bar will make easy work of 99% of lug nuts when you put your body weight into it. If you still struggle, then add a cheater pipe. Use leverage to your advantage.
Well it was what we had and worked just fine. Just curious if it fits the lug how is it terrible way to get them off?

OP
OP
Briebee72

Briebee72

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2019
Pick better tire shops!

You can’t teach an old dog to lead a horse to water, but you can’t make him drink. After all, its better to have torqued and sheared a lug nut than to have never torqued at all!
Well feel free to come show me good shops :) so far every Ford dealer and both Discount tires and one hometown tire shop all did it.

Cory S

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Cory
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium
I never use an air impact on any of our vehicles. Not even to take lug nuts/studs off. I always use a 1.5’ breaker bar, and follow with a proper torque wrench only. No scratches or ooopsies this way. 150lb-ft is extreme IMHO. I do my aftermarket wheels at 115lb-ft. The premium 19” wheels with super bulge factory cladded lug nuts, get 130lb-ft.

plc268

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Patrick
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium Race Red
Well it was what we had and worked just fine. Just curious if it fits the lug how is it terrible way to get them off?
You do understand the basic principles of torque and applying leverage, right? Your definition of "worked just fine" is different than mine.

Those cross shaped lug wrenches are typically 14 inches across (let's call it 12 inches / 1 foot for simplicity). The socket is in the middle of that span, meaning that you have basically a 6 inch / 0.5 ft lever arm. If a lug nut requires 150 lb-ft of torque to break it loose, you basically need to generate 300 pounds of force to break that lug nut loose. If you use a breaker bar that's 2 ft long, you would need to generate 75 pounds of force to break it loose.

Also, not all air impacts are the same. A lot of people overrate their own air impacts. They buy cheapo ones where the marketing will claim they'll do 400 lb-ft or more, but it's really a sham. I know because I made the same mistake. It'll make all the same noises as high end air impact guns, but deliver a fraction of the torque. And that's not even mentioning the air supply.

And I get it, you used what you have. I do the same, but I also use it as an excuse to buy better tools, so that in the future I won't struggle with the same issue. Do yourself a favor, and get yourself a telescoping lug wrench like this: https://www.amazon.com/EPAuto-Telescoping-Wrench-Wheel-Sockets/dp/B071FV7XVM or a nice breaker bar and socket at harbor freight. https://www.harborfreight.com/12-in-drive-25-in-professional-breaker-bar-62729.html

OP
OP
Briebee72

Briebee72

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2019
I never use an air impact on any of our vehicles. Not even to take lug nuts/studs off. I always use a 1.5’ breaker bar, and follow with a proper torque wrench only. No scratches or ooopsies this way. 150lb-ft is extreme IMHO. I do my aftermarket wheels at 115lb-ft. The premium 19” wheels with super bulge factory cladded lug nuts, get 130lb-ft.
I hear some say that and might be right :) but im a go with what manufacturer says kinda guy. I mean they designed it.
Sponsored