Sponsored

Evap leak detected... options with Ford Corporate? *UPDATE- Compressor seal broken*

Emt1581

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Magnetic Mustang GT w/PP & TurboBooster Seat
UPDATE- see 9/7/21 post.

A couple months back my A/C worked great on the way to lunch, then the cold air was just gone on the way back. Checked everything I could check and it was blowing, the line was charged, no odd smells or funky colored (yellow) leaks under the car or hood. So I made an appointment to have Ford do diagnostic testing.

They cancelled on me due to their A/C guy being out and I was told they could do everything in my driveway. The techs get here and say that isn't true and they can only do so much. Understanding I wasn't going to pay for 2 diagnostic appointments they said there was no charge for this one but it needed to be brought in to test further. However, when handing me the key back they said their scan tool detected an "evap leak".

Now that's confusing to me because how is there a leak ANYWHERE in the line...but I'm still registering a full charge when I hook a gauge up?

Also, I'm guessing that "evap leak" means it'll need a $2k-$3k evap coil replacement and I've come to understand this is a VERY common issue....something like 40% of Ford vehicles (or just Mustangs??) experience so I was wondering if there's a specific number, department, etc. with Ford at the corporate level to reach out to that can help with lowering the cost of repair at the very least?

Any class-actions currently going on due to the frequency of the issue?

Thanks!!
Sponsored

Last edited:
OP
OP

Emt1581

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
Greatly appreciate that link!!! I reached out to Ford and now have a case number. I need to follow-up with my local Ford dealer so they can finish the diagnostic but then Ford said they can talk with the dealer and figure out what help they are able to offer financially.

Thanks!!!
Good to hear - keep us posted to your results and hope that Ford does assist with the cost of repair.

OP
OP

Emt1581

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Good to hear - keep us posted to your results and hope that Ford does assist with the cost of repair.

Ford took a look at the car today at their shop. Got a message saying it's the compressor and the front seal is broken and the refrigerant level was low. BOTH of these things sound VERY suspicious to me because I hooked gauges up and the levels were fine a couple weeks ago AND the compressor was working fine in regard to the belt turning and the clutch engaging when the A/C was turned on. So I'm calling BS on the refrigerant level issue (no clue how I'd prove it because they can drain it and just say that's how they found it) but the compressor was absolutely functioning. Just not sure what to make of the leak aspect with the front seal.

Would/can a compressor have a bad seal but still appear to be functioning fine or would it not function if leaking?

Thanks!!

Sponsored

ICU812

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Tempo, Ford Mustang,FFR,Crown vic.
Ford took a look at the car today at their shop. Got a message saying it's the compressor and the front seal is broken and the refrigerant level was low. BOTH of these things sound VERY suspicious to me because I hooked gauges up and the levels were fine a couple weeks ago AND the compressor was working fine in regard to the belt turning and the clutch engaging when the A/C was turned on. So I'm calling BS on the refrigerant level issue (no clue how I'd prove it because they can drain it and just say that's how they found it) but the compressor was absolutely functioning. Just not sure what to make of the leak aspect with the front seal.

Would/can a compressor have a bad seal but still appear to be functioning fine or would it not function if leaking?

Thanks!!
Compressor will work as it should till the low pressure switch stops it from functioning from low r134 or whatever they use today.
Till the level gets too low, it will function like normal

SilverStang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ingot Silver Mustang GT PP 6MT
UPDATE- see 9/7/21 post.

A couple months back my A/C worked great on the way to lunch, then the cold air was just gone on the way back. Checked everything I could check and it was blowing, the line was charged, no odd smells or funky colored (yellow) leaks under the car or hood. So I made an appointment to have Ford do diagnostic testing.

They cancelled on me due to their A/C guy being out and I was told they could do everything in my driveway. The techs get here and say that isn't true and they can only do so much. Understanding I wasn't going to pay for 2 diagnostic appointments they said there was no charge for this one but it needed to be brought in to test further. However, when handing me the key back they said their scan tool detected an "evap leak".

Now that's confusing to me because how is there a leak ANYWHERE in the line...but I'm still registering a full charge when I hook a gauge up?

Also, I'm guessing that "evap leak" means it'll need a $2k-$3k evap coil replacement and I've come to understand this is a VERY common issue....something like 40% of Ford vehicles (or just Mustangs??) experience so I was wondering if there's a specific number, department, etc. with Ford at the corporate level to reach out to that can help with lowering the cost of repair at the very least?

Any class-actions currently going on due to the frequency of the issue?

Thanks!!
Usually a evap leak code through a scan tool is for evaporative emissions control aka (evap leak) which has nothing to do with your ac.
Sponsored