Ethanol Free Gas

Ichabod

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Derek
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang GT
I live in Oklahoma so I have the option to buy pure gas just about everywhere. I keep reading mixed reviews on the differences. Anyone else have any experience or links to studies showing which would be better to run in my car?
Sponsored

timsstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium 'vert
Today's engines are designed to use an ethanol mix. The Coyote will accept up to 15%.

That being said, I don't use E85 in mine. If it's going to be idle for a while, I use a gas stabilizer.

vernonator

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT w/PP - Race Red
I live in Oklahoma so I have the option to buy pure gas just about everywhere. I keep reading mixed reviews on the differences. Anyone else have any experience or links to studies showing which would be better to run in my car?
Any modern car will run fine on an ethanol blend - our Mustangs are good with up to 15%. There are a couple drawbacks to ethanol - 1) it's agroscopic (absorbs water) so if you don't drive your car frequently be sure to put a fuel conditioner in the tank. If you DD your car no worries there.

2) Ethanol has less BTUs per gallon (about 70% of regular gasoline) so your mileage will suffer - but only a bit and it MAY be enhanced by the higher Octane you get with ethanol. Depending on where I get my gas I see a VERY slight loss or no difference. Though here in IA it is virtually impossible to find non-blended gas, especially if I want 91 octane (which I have found is the sweet spot for the coyote engine).

You also need to look at the price difference - here in IA it can be over $0.60/gal MORE to get non-ethanol fuel so even if your mileage drops, your COST per mile will almost certainly be lower with an ethanol-blend fuel.

OP
OP

Ichabod

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Derek
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang GT
I have the option for 91 octane non blended, but like you said at .60-.70 cents a gallon, MPG would not be the determining factor in purchase. I assumed newer vehicles were made with this in mind so I haven't had any issues with putting >10% ethanol fuel in. I just wasn't sure if the benefits of ethanol-free gas was worth the money. Thanks!

Sponsored

v8440

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 gt
Just run some non-ethanol gas mixed with some E85 on a flex fuel tune for the best of both worlds!

millhouse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ruby Red GT PP
Any modern car will run fine on an ethanol blend - our Mustangs are good with up to 15%. There are a couple drawbacks to ethanol - 1) it's agroscopic (absorbs water) so if you don't drive your car frequently be sure to put a fuel conditioner in the tank. If you DD your car no worries there.

2) Ethanol has less BTUs per gallon (about 70% of regular gasoline) so your mileage will suffer - but only a bit and it MAY be enhanced by the higher Octane you get with ethanol. Depending on where I get my gas I see a VERY slight loss or no difference. Though here in IA it is virtually impossible to find non-blended gas, especially if I want 91 octane (which I have found is the sweet spot for the coyote engine).

You also need to look at the price difference - here in IA it can be over $0.60/gal MORE to get non-ethanol fuel so even if your mileage drops, your COST per mile will almost certainly be lower with an ethanol-blend fuel.
+1

Most stations across the country are running %10 Ethanol. You are looking at a 3% reduction of fuel economy with the standard 90/10 blend. Anyone claiming a huge difference is lying, or has something very wrong with their vehicle.

If you can find a non blended gasoline for 3% more, go for it. Otherwise, it is a total waste of money. If you plan on leaving the car sit for an extended period of time, just make sure to fill the tank up to avoid condensation. Any vehicle made before ~1991 or vehicles running a carb however should be more cautious.
Sponsored