Sponsored

ESS G3 60-130 8 psi

Barrel

Hoonigan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cars and Trucks
At what point would everyone go "We're used to seeing about 11 psi to make that power, 4 psi is obviously a mistake."
The fact that, if true and substantiated, ESS should skip consumer sales and go straight to OEMs with their breakthrough should be enough for us to step back and say "there's something we're missing here".

You don't think 8 psi with 21 deg of timing would make 700whp? With all the supporting mods GT350 intake, LTH headers, Full 3" exhaust. I think it would.
8#s AND you have catted headers makes even less sense. Boost is a measure of restriction which is mostly a meaningless data point, except when it isn't. And here you have headers (good) but they are catted (bad) - an improvement for sure because they are less effective cats than OEM but certainly more restrictive than nothing.

These are turbo numbers and boost pressures. It may not be 14 but it isn't 8 either.
Sponsored

OP
OP

Brad1810r80

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brad
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang 2018 F150
I have GESi high flow cats, they're not costing me anything at this power level. Been plenty of test on them.

The fact that, if true and substantiated, ESS should skip consumer sales and go straight to OEMs with their breakthrough should be enough for us to step back and say "there's something we're missing here".

8#s AND you have catted headers makes even less sense. Boost is a measure of restriction which is mostly a meaningless data point, except when it isn't. And here you have headers (good) but they are catted (bad) - an improvement for sure because they are less effective cats than OEM but certainly more restrictive than nothing.

These are turbo numbers and boost pressures. It may not be 14 but it isn't 8 either.

Torinate

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Convertible
There's no question Brad's car is moving out! Very impressed.

Couple of my own observations though - E30 tune vs 91 / 93 etc. I am impressed he's able to run E30 tune with just the BAP. How much more fuel is he using overall versus 91/93? Could the pump keep up? Obviously it is keeping up. Obviously the E30 tune is allowing for much more timing than the 91/93 without issue. What would the octane of his mix be? How far off would it be compared to E85? Brad - is your E30 right from a pump or is it a "mixture" you are creating?

Regardless, I think where many are making the mistake is comparing the E 30 to regular 91/93 results.

Brevin - interesting that you said this supercharger has been around for 25 years. Unless i'm misquoting you. I have been around cars etc for a long time and I had never heard of the ESS blower until one of the posts here a year or so ago. I know ESS has used other blowers in their kits for a while, but it was news to me that this model has been around for so long. No disrespect whatsoever because I believe the product is very good. My own initial comments back on the original thread were just that - has the potential to be great but just need to know longevity. The other players have been around for a LONG time and their longevity over time and miles is proven. I have seen one of the G2 blowers up close and watched Kevin's dyno dyno. Impressive!

larr12

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alberto
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang PP1
You don't think 8 psi with 21 deg of timing would make 700whp? With all the supporting mods GT350 intake, LTH headers, Full 3" exhaust. I think it would.
I think it would. If you go to the dyno, I will put $25 to help with the cost.

OP
OP

Brad1810r80

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brad
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang 2018 F150
My e30 is mixture , I get E85 local MAPCO always test it , then drive 1/4 mile down the road for Shell 93. (Always have had best results with shell 93 on KR when just running straight 93)

It's around 96/97 octane I always between e30-e35 on calculator.

At my boost I'm running tuner said really no difference in power compared to straight e85.

Couple of my own observations though - E30 tune vs 91 / 93 etc. I am impressed he's able to run E30 tune with just the BAP. How much more fuel is he using overall versus 91/93? Could the pump keep up? Obviously it is keeping up. Obviously the E30 tune is allowing for much more timing than the 91/93 without issue. What would the octane of his mix be? How far off would it be compared to E85? Brad - is your E30 right from a pump or is it a "mixture" you are creating?

Regardless, I think where many are making the mistake is comparing the E 30 to regular 91/93 results.

Brevin - interesting that you said this supercharger has been around for 25 years. Unless i'm misquoting you. I have been around cars etc for a long time and I had never heard of the ESS blower until one of the posts here a year or so ago. I know ESS has used other blowers in their kits for a while, but it was news to me that this model has been around for so long. No disrespect whatsoever because I believe the product is very good. My own initial comments back on the original thread were just that - has the potential to be great but just need to know longevity. The other players have been around for a LONG time and their longevity over time and miles is proven. I have seen one of the G2 blowers up close and watched Kevin's dyno dyno. Impressive!

Sponsored

Zrussian13

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT, 2018 Acura MDX
I'd say it's dyno time Brad. Your car clearly hauls ass but now I want to know what it puts down on each of your pulleys!

Cory S

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Cory
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium
Also, Let's see what this 8psi turns into above 7300rpm. Guessing it's compressing much harder at 7800-7900. No tuner has the A10/centri combo shift at 7300 anyway, so ESS boost rating is kind of moot. With that size/style centrifugal, you could be peaking at 11.5-12psi at 7800/shift.

OP
OP

Brad1810r80

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brad
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang 2018 F150
My car shifts at 7500-7600 and that's where it makes 8 psi on the 125mm pulley

Also, Let's see what this 8psi turns into above 7300rpm. Guessing it's compressing much harder at 7800-7900. No tuner has the A10/centri combo shift at 7300 anyway, so ESS boost rating is kind of moot. With that size/style centrifugal, you could be peaking at 11.5-12psi at 7800/shift.

Brevin@ESS

Gold Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Mustang GT

Very fair question, and thanks for the kind words. The company itself has been around for a long time. More than 25 years now. We are very popular in the BMW crowd as well as the Lamborghini/R8 platform. We pioneered the forced induction and centrifugal market for BMW and have branched off from there. The “G” supercharger head unit like the G2 you saw on Kevin’s car has been an ongoing project and developed over the last several years. They were officially released to the consumer public in 2018 for BMW but had been in testing for many years before that. After using other options for 20 years we saw opportunity to make changes and improvements and the only option was to develop our own. So far thousands sold with a zero percent failure ratio. We use the highest quality materials and parts available to make them, no expenses spared.

Last edited:

Torinate

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Convertible
My e30 is mixture , I get E85 local MAPCO always test it , then drive 1/4 mile down the road for Shell 93. (Always have had best results with shell 93 on KR when just running straight 93)

It's around 96/97 octane I always between e30-e35 on calculator.

At my boost I'm running tuner said really no difference in power compared to straight e85.
It's working really well for you for sure!

I just noticed... do you run straight 93 as well at times? Is it a flex tune or are you flipping between the E30 tune and a straight 93 tune?

Someone asked earlier if making 700whp is doable on 8psi. Absolutely with 21* timing. No need to dyno to confirm that one...

Well thought out list of mods that are working in harmony!

Sponsored
OP
OP

Brad1810r80

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brad
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang 2018 F150
Just once in blue moon do I run 93 just to get all the e85 out for a tank. I have to flash to a 93 tune

Thank you sir

It's working really well for you for sure!

I just noticed... do you run straight 93 as well at times? Is it a flex tune or are you flipping between the E30 tune and a straight 93 tune?

Someone asked earlier if making 700whp is doable on 8psi. Absolutely with 21* timing. No need to dyno to confirm that one...

Well thought out list of mods that are working in harmony!

vanquishvzla

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT 50th anniversary
I wish there were a flex tune for F/I for our cars. Right now im fbo e85 and the reason why i wanna go back to 93 with the supercharger is because traveling is annoying… having to hunt e85 gas stations wherever you go

Hammerhead13579

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Premium PP1 GT
So I read this whole thread and wanted to chime in.

The ESS website states this:
"Boost pr pulley size is rated at 7200rpm using a G2 supercharger at sea level/68F, if you run higher RPM limit than this, or a larger head unit then boost will also be higher than the rated.....elevation and warmer air than rated will bring peak pressure down."

So from this and other accounts I have read elsewhere and seen on YouTube:
1. Everyone is buying the G3, G3X, etc. for head units so those will make more psi.
2. If boost is lower at higher temps then it should be higher at lower temps right? Everyone does there 60-130 runs in the 50-60° temp range.
3. Nobody revs to 7200.....so yeah everyone makes more psi due to this and it could be a significant difference even if only going another 400-600rpm.

Another factor is you can't compare these as easily to other brands of FI because they don't have a canned tune for a stock car. Every car could have different exhaust, intake mods, fuel, fueling, etc. so essentially no "stock" car is running these kits. As opposed to Whipple, Roush, Procharger, etc. with a lot of kits on stock cars with 50 state legal tunes. But with this - there are no other manufacturers claiming gains of xxx hp on only 7psi of boost....

I have read in multiples places that the kit pulleys are 2-4 psi off depending on the setup of the car. I am not sure if you guys are aware but the values listed on the website have changed too. At one point there were half psi ratings (7.5 psi) etc. So ESS knows they aren't that accurate or they wouldn't have changed the values in the past. Also, I'm sure they are making a lot of business being the newer popular platform for mustangs and everyone and their moms bragging about making power on X psi.

So I think we can put this to bed....

80FoxCoupe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 GT, 80 Fox
So I read this whole thread and wanted to chime in.

The ESS website states this:
"Boost pr pulley size is rated at 7200rpm using a G2 supercharger at sea level/68F, if you run higher RPM limit than this, or a larger head unit then boost will also be higher than the rated.....elevation and warmer air than rated will bring peak pressure down."

So from this and other accounts I have read elsewhere and seen on YouTube:
1. Everyone is buying the G3, G3X, etc. for head units so those will make more psi.
2. If boost is lower at higher temps then it should be higher at lower temps right? Everyone does there 60-130 runs in the 50-60° temp range.
3. Nobody revs to 7200.....so yeah everyone makes more psi due to this and it could be a significant difference even if only going another 400-600rpm.

Another factor is you can't compare these as easily to other brands of FI because they don't have a canned tune for a stock car. Every car could have different exhaust, intake mods, fuel, fueling, etc. so essentially no "stock" car is running these kits. As opposed to Whipple, Roush, Procharger, etc. with a lot of kits on stock cars with 50 state legal tunes. But with this - there are no other manufacturers claiming gains of xxx hp on only 7psi of boost....

I have read in multiples places that the kit pulleys are 2-4 psi off depending on the setup of the car. I am not sure if you guys are aware but the values listed on the website have changed too. At one point there were half psi ratings (7.5 psi) etc. So ESS knows they aren't that accurate or they wouldn't have changed the values in the past. Also, I'm sure they are making a lot of business being the newer popular platform for mustangs and everyone and their moms bragging about making power on X psi.

So I think we can put this to bed....
Boost is an arbitrary number. Not sure why everyone gets so caught up in it. If it's fast, it's fast.

HKusp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Boost is a meaure of restriction. If you have smaller tubing, you get more boost pressure. You can have a bigger head unit, with a larger diameter tubing moving much more air at a lower boost number, which will give you more power at that lower boost number.
Sponsored