ESS Centrifugal Mustang Superchargers

lkeltner

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lance
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT PP1
I detailed it earlier, but large amounts of surging and bucking when driving at slow / low throttle situations, like neighborhoods. Enough that keeping consistent throttle application was difficult when it got bad. Anything mid throttle or better was fine. I do most of my driving around town at <30% throttle, so this was super important to me. The tuner basically threw up their hands saying it wasn't the tune and that I had bad parts. Sorry, installation of a blower on a car that was fine before doesn't suddenly make all these other parts go bad.

Also the idle was kept super high around 950-1k, which seemed ridiculous. They said it was required. I've got that tuned lower as well with no issues and can probably still go a bit lower. Interesting to note, if the idle is kept fully stock, engagement of AC will sometimes cause the car to stumble enough to die. Raising it 50 to 100rpm fixes it. That took a while to track down as I thought it might be vct related at first.
Sponsored

DougS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP Whipple Stage 2
I detailed it earlier, but large amounts of surging and bucking when driving at slow / low throttle situations, like neighborhoods. Enough that keeping consistent throttle application was difficult when it got bad. Anything mid throttle or better was fine. I do most of my driving around town at <30% throttle, so this was super important to me. The tuner basically threw up their hands saying it wasn't the tune and that I had bad parts. Sorry, installation of a blower on a car that was fine before doesn't suddenly make all these other parts go bad.

Also the idle was kept super high around 950-1k, which seemed ridiculous. They said it was required. I've got that tuned lower as well with no issues and can probably still go a bit lower. Interesting to note, if the idle is kept fully stock, engagement of AC will sometimes cause the car to stumble enough to die. Raising it 50 to 100rpm fixes it. That took a while to track down as I thought it might be vct related at first. WGreat you got everything straightened out.

DougS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Vehicle(s)
What tuner did you finally go with who corrected your issues? Glad to hear you got them resolved.

lkeltner

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lance
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT PP1
What tuner did you finally go with who corrected your issues? Glad to hear you got them resolved.
I haven't yet. I've been working with ESS directly and am running a not-production tune from them just to verify whether I had bad parts anywhere as my car just happen to be exactly setup like one of their test cars. I plan on going with Wengerd in the spring.

ESS has been nothing short of amazing working through this with me. Can't say enough good things.

DougS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Vehicle(s)
I haven't yet. I've been working with ESS directly and am running a not-production tune from them just to verify whether I had bad parts anywhere as my car just happen to be exactly setup like one of their test cars. I plan on going with Wengerd in the spring.

ESS has been nothing short of amazing working through this with me. Can't say enough good things.
Great to hear. Keep us posted.

Sponsored

n2ofusion

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6M

Does that mean they will eventually have a canned tune of their own to start with??? That would be huge for a lot of people

lkeltner

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lance
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT PP1
Does that mean they will eventually have a canned tune of their own to start with??? That would be huge for a lot of people
I wouldn't be able to say there. (Would love to see it though!) I think my setup just happened to line up with their mule car and they wanted to rule out hardware problems with the kit since the tuner was blaming everything including the blowoff valve. (Lol) I was specifically told that it was not meant for production, (although it runs great!) which is why I'll be moving over to Wengerd later.

The other problem I see with a canned tune is how many different ones they would need since you can have several combinations of head unit and pulley size which dictate other mods needed as you move up in power. But one can dream!

SLIC V6

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium PP1 Act Ex. MT82 Stick
I agree, that would be a HUGE plus for me! (And I assume others that are seriously considering their kits!)

- Jerry

Dyimon08

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dyimon
Vehicle(s)
2015 5.0 M6
What’s the most power most are seeing out of the G2s. What’s the most power I can make safely out of g2 or 3 with ID1050s and vmp boost a pump on pump gas until I get a fuel system? Thanks in advanced

Veteran

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT white
I agree, that would be a HUGE plus for me! (And I assume others that are seriously considering their kits!)

- Jerry
Perhaps they could include a canned tune for the biggest pulley of a G2 and G3 .? They would need 4 tunes. to cover gen 2 and 3.
Many customers that buy Whipple due to their complete package will Consider a ESS.

Sponsored

n2ofusion

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6M
Perhaps they could include a canned tune for the biggest pulley of a G2 and G3 .? They would need 4 tunes. to cover gen 2 and 3.
Many customers that buy Whipple due to their complete package will Consider a ESS.

I would like to do a custom tune, eventually. But being able to get it installed without a dyno session and have it “good enough” is what’s so tempting

Brad1810r80

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brad
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang 2018 F150
You don't need a dyno session; my car has never been on dyno the tuner had the car running great on first tune.

I would like to do a custom tune, eventually. But being able to get it installed without a dyno session and have it “good enough” is what’s so tempting

lkeltner

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lance
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT PP1
I've been noticing a strange noise, like something is rattling or loose near where the head unit is mounted. I checked the BOV as best I could and it seems fine. I looked around and pushed on everything else in the area without dripping the bumper and can't find anything loose.

You can only hear it at idle. I have less than 2k mi on this blower so far, and I checked the fluid again today and it looks great.

You can really hear it up close, or when sitting at a drive through window with the windows down.

Thoughts?

Last edited:

Brevin@ESS

Gold Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Mustang GT
I've been noticing a strange noise, like something is rattling or loose near where the head unit is mounted. I checked the BOV as best I could and it seems fine. I looked around and pushed on everything else in the area without dripping the bumper and can't find anything loose.

You can only hear it at idle. I have less than 2k mi on this blower so far, and I checked the fluid again today and it looks great.

You can really hear it up close, or when sitting at a drive through window with the windows down.

Thoughts?

Normal gear mesh noise. They all sound that way especially at low idle speed. It goes away as soon as you give it any throttle. Not to worry at all.
Sponsored