ESS Centrifugal Mustang Superchargers

ammoman

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ammo
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT Premium, PP1, Manual, Magneride
Anyone who's installed this have Performance Pack 1? I'm wondering if this kit with the larger intercooler requires the removal of the front braces like the Whipple kit does? The install instructions for ESS don't really cover this that I saw.
In the YouTube installation video they said the front braces need to be removed.
Sponsored

TEXAS HEAT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP1 A10
In the YouTube installation video they said the front braces need to be removed.
That is correct, they're on performance pack cars and will need to be removed.

ammoman

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ammo
Vehicle(s)
I'm having trouble deciding between the G3 kit and the Whipple stage 1. After tuning on the ESS kit, the Whipple is actually the same or slightly cheaper based on some of the pricing. They both seem like great kits, but the fact that you have to remove the strut tower brace and the front supports on the Whipple kit is deterring me from it. But the instant PD blower power does sound like fun.
Couple points -

1. From what I've read here, the stock Whipple tune isn't the best and many have issues with it. The majority say you should get a custom tune, which increases the price significantly.

2. If you are concerned about loosing the braces, I'm assuming handling is important to you. The Whipple is going to add 2x-3x more weight than the ESS. That much extra weight over the frontend will adversely impact handling. (NOTE - Regarding loosing the strut brace, many have said they don't notice a difference with it off.)

I too would love the low-end torque of a PD, but my wife (and daughter, with me in the passenger seat only) occasionally drive too. Combining that much power under 4k RPM with an inexperienced muscle-car-driver is a recipe for disaster! Also, when I'm driving "spiritedly", I'm usually well above 4k RPM, where the ESS is making plenty of power. While having more torque down low is always fun, with how I drive, it isn't needed. In fact, being a daily driver, I think it will be easier to drive when in traffic.

The price, linear power delivery, ease of install, and much lower weight all pushed me to go centri vs PD. When looking at the build quality, weight and price of the ESS, it was a no-brainer!

Sponsored

frestylmotox01

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jonathan
Vehicle(s)
18 GT PP1, 18 F150 Lariat
Couple points -

1. From what I've read here, the stock Whipple tune isn't the best and many have issues with it. The majority say you should get a custom tune, which increases the price significantly.

2. If you are concerned about loosing the braces, I'm assuming handling is important to you. The Whipple is going to add 2x-3x more weight than the ESS. That much extra weight over the frontend will adversely impact handling. (NOTE - Regarding loosing the strut brace, many have said they don't notice a difference with it off.)

I too would love the low-end torque of a PD, but my wife (and daughter, with me in the passenger seat only) occasionally drive too. Combining that much power under 4k RPM with an inexperienced muscle-car-driver is a recipe for disaster! Also, when I'm driving "spiritedly", I'm usually well above 4k RPM, where the ESS is making plenty of power. While having more torque down low is always fun, with how I drive, it isn't needed. In fact, being a daily driver, I think it will be easier to drive when in traffic.

The price, linear power delivery, ease of install, and much lower weight all pushed me to go centri vs PD. When looking at the build quality, weight and price of the ESS, it was a no-brainer!
Thanks for the reply.

1. This was something I was thinking about as well, and adding a separate tune after the fact certainly skews the pricing here.

2. I'm not a road racer, but I enjoy carving corners and with all of the additional Steeda components I've added to the car, It's at a pretty good baseline, so removing any bracing isn't ideal, but if I can maintain the strut brace at least it's not two components removed like with the Whipple kit.

I'm definitely going back and forth on the power delivery, I've played plenty with turbo vehicles, but not so much with superchargers. The PD type of delivery sounds great, but at the same time, having all that power instantly available may not be ideal on the road. My car isn't a daily driver, so I'm less concerned about some parts of this, but at the end of the day, I want it to maintain reliability and drivability. So maybe a Centrifugal is a good compromise for this.

kenand1988

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT
I want one of these so bad. I had the money and decided to put it into refinancing my PP2 down from 4.99 to 1.74. Now I'm thinking that when I'm ready to buy a G3, they will no longer be billet and the WD pricing will be gone. Being financially responsible lol 🤷‍♂️
Who did you refi with thats an awesome rate.

kenand1988

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT
Thanks for the reply.

1. This was something I was thinking about as well, and adding a separate tune after the fact certainly skews the pricing here.

2. I'm not a road racer, but I enjoy carving corners and with all of the additional Steeda components I've added to the car, It's at a pretty good baseline, so removing any bracing isn't ideal, but if I can maintain the strut brace at least it's not two components removed like with the Whipple kit.

I'm definitely going back and forth on the power delivery, I've played plenty with turbo vehicles, but not so much with superchargers. The PD type of delivery sounds great, but at the same time, having all that power instantly available may not be ideal on the road. My car isn't a daily driver, so I'm less concerned about some parts of this, but at the end of the day, I want it to maintain reliability and drivability. So maybe a Centrifugal is a good compromise for this.
The idea of instant power definitely is appealing but unless you have everything set up right you'll just be shredding tires.

TEXAS HEAT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP1 A10
Thanks for the reply.

Centrifugal SC's and the A10 are a match made in heaven. 1st and 2nd are pretty much useless anyway on an unprepped surface with the ESS kit, so I don't think you will miss not having an over abundance of torque down low. Plus, you'll likely save a few broken drivetrain parts with the power delivery of the centrifugal.

Sponsored

frestylmotox01

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jonathan
Vehicle(s)
18 GT PP1, 18 F150 Lariat
Centrifugal SC's and the A10 are a match made in heaven. 1st and 2nd are pretty much useless anyway on an unprepped surface with the ESS kit, so I don't think you will miss not having an over abundance of torque down low. Plus, you'll likely save a few broken drivetrain parts with the power delivery of the centrifugal.
I've got a 6 speed, which is why I was wondering about the lower range power.

ammoman

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ammo
Vehicle(s)
I've got a 6 speed, which is why I was wondering about the lower range power.
I too have the 6 speed. Next time you drive around, keep an eye on your RPMs. When you're having fun, see how much time you spend under 4k. For me, it isn't much. Less torque in the lower RPMs will help the tires get traction and make sure the clutch is fully engaged. Win-win!

jjw

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.shelbyparts.com
Vehicle(s)
'19 PP2, 05 STI 475whp, 04 cayenne turbo, Shelbys
I too have the 6 speed. Next time you drive around, keep an eye on your RPMs. When you're having fun, see how much time you spend under 4k. For me, it isn't much. Less torque in the lower RPMs will help the tires get traction and make sure the clutch is fully engaged. Win-win!
100%
Its better to have linear power that hooks up... and its also easier on the drivetrain. If you care about handling and taking corners, well modulated linear is good.
Unless you are running DR's, a E85/LTH setup is getting pretty stout for what you can hook up down low. I dont think you will be disappointed with centrifugal power down low... and it will just keep pulling and pulling...

DougS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP Whipple Stage 2
A local credit union that I have financed every single one of my vehicles through since about 1995.
I think what the individual was asking was, WHO, not where. Thanks
Sponsored