Sponsored

ESS Centrifugal Mustang Superchargers

cbrtrx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 mustang gt
Curious, I've read through this entire thread and it seems like a great kit. Does anyone who's installed this wish they had gone another direction or regret the install? I've priced it out for myself and it's a bit more expensive than I anticipated with the additional equipment needed, just over $7K, but I'm also completely stock minus H-Pipe and suspension mod's which may attribute to that since some folks probably already had a tuner.

The breakdown I've come up with so far is:

1. G2 kit w/ G3 intercooler, injectors - 5385.10 shipped
  2. Tuner - $300
  3. Tuner Credit - $200
  4. Tune - $699
  5. BAP - $360
  6. Plugs - $85
Total - $7029.09

Seem right? Anything missing from that list? Still a bit cheaper than a non tuner Whipple kit, but not quite as much as I anticipated.
I'd recommend catless if possible with anything boosted and also on a gen 3 car I'd go right to the g3 blower. Do it once do it right. I've seen people spend more then double redoing stuff over and over.
Sponsored

TEXAS HEAT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP1 A10
Curious, I've read through this entire thread and it seems like a great kit. Does anyone who's installed this wish they had gone another direction or regret the install? I've priced it out for myself and it's a bit more expensive than I anticipated with the additional equipment needed, just over $7K, but I'm also completely stock minus H-Pipe and suspension mod's which may attribute to that since some folks probably already had a tuner.

The breakdown I've come up with so far is:

1. G2 kit w/ G3 intercooler, injectors - 5385.10 shipped
  2. Tuner - $300
  3. Tuner Credit - $200
  4. Tune - $699
  5. BAP - $360
  6. Plugs - $85
Total - $7029.09

Seem right? Anything missing from that list? Still a bit cheaper than a non tuner Whipple kit, but not quite as much as I anticipated.
Don't forget about injectors.

TEXAS HEAT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP1 A10
I'd recommend catless if possible with anything boosted and also on a gen 3 car I'd go right to the g3 blower. Do it once do it right. I've seen people spend more then double redoing stuff over and over.
^^^^^^^This

johndnardi07

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
21 Explorer ST , 21 GT Mustang , 16 Fusion
I would just do the DW400 over the BAP

Sponsored

johndnardi07

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
21 Explorer ST , 21 GT Mustang , 16 Fusion
Does the DW400 give more fuel With the standard ecu mapping?
I mean what if you add a DW before the supercharger is fitted ?

Stock pump is smaller. This will carry a bit further than stock and no you can add this DW400 without the blower. It wont need a tune specific for it nor a BAP

Why "overwork" a stock pump with a BAP when you can do the DW400. Its like giving a kit 30lbs of rock to carry up the stairs vs a grown strong man carrying that same weight . lol

TEXAS HEAT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP1 A10
They are included in the ess tuning line, I was intially going to purchase their offering.
They must have just started offering that as an option. It wasn't available when I purchased mine.

TEXAS HEAT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP1 A10
While I wait for a dyno to tune the new added G3 I thought i'd share how my experience went getting the G2 upgraded and speaking with the owner of ESS tuning in America. I am really spoiled that I live within an hour of their shop. I reached out to Brevin and we set up a time to take care of the upgrade. For anyone not local I would assume you will need to send the whole unit and then they perform the switch and it is mailed back to you. For me it was about a 45 minute process. The G3 went back on the car in 15 minutes. Cost at the time of writing this was 1195 and they kept the old volute. Some differences to note the G3 inlet is 78mm while the G2 is 71mm (I think I got that right). The outlet is also bigger. To do this upgrade you will need to replace the air filter tube and the discharge tube to the intercooler from the headunit. The impeller geometry is also different but both are cast. The G3x has a billet impeller capable of higher RPM 75,000 i think. the G2 and G3 are suggested to stay below 55,000 I think. That being said they have never had an impeller fail so the actual breaking point of the cast impellers is unknown. One of the big reasons this supercharger is so great is because it gets into boost quick. There a lot of reasons why this is, the impeller geometry, the step up gear ratio, and the fact that the gearbox inside the headunit is very easy to spin meaning there is less friction to overcome. One part that truly spared no expense are the bearings for the impeller shaft. They are literally the best bearings that can be bought currently. They are entirely ceramic and have a theoretical life of 20,000 hours which, fun fact, is more than 2 years of running them 24/7. While I was there they actually showed me a torn down unit. The customer had recently gotten a G3 headunit and put it on their car. After 2 weeks they noticed the headunit making a noise that didn't sound right so they sent it in to ESS. ESS found there to be NO OIL in it and confirmed with the customer they had not put oil in the supercharger. The headunit ran for 2 weeks with no oil and when I was able to spin the shaft it still felt smooth. The bearings still looked perfect. The owner put it to me this way. They spared no expense whatsoever to develop this platform. It has been a 6 year process but the goal was to do it right the first time and then scale from there. Us lucky few who have already purchased our units got an upgrade without knowing it. The gearbox casings for the mass produced units will be high pressure cast aluminum instead of billet. This is mainly an aesthetic difference since both are more than capable as for as strength and durability goes. Some might even like the look of the cast aluminum better, they have a nice finish to them like the volutes. The internals of course are identical.

I also did want to mention ESS has tested all of the big name injectors and what they suggest for our builds is either LU47s, ID1050x or the new GT500 injectors which are 62 #. Part # for those is 0280158395.

I have dyno time scheduled for next Tuesday so I will give an update when that happens.
Any updates on the dyno results between the G2 and G3 head units?

frestylmotox01

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jonathan
Vehicle(s)
18 GT PP1, 18 F150 Lariat
They must have just started offering that as an option. It wasn't available when I purchased mine.
Not sure when they did, but it's a drop down item to add the LU47's.

Sponsored

dead_inside

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 GT Prem PP
You can choose BOV, injectors, and fuel pump now. There is only one option per category but still interesting. Looks like the instructions got a revamp as well.

Last edited:

frestylmotox01

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jonathan
Vehicle(s)
18 GT PP1, 18 F150 Lariat
You can choose BOV, injectors, and fuel pump now. There is only one option per category but still interesting. Looks like the instructions got a revamp as well.
They must have just literally added that, it wasn't there last night or this morning when I was pricing it, that makes the choice a bit easier.

Veteran

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT white
Stock pump is smaller. This will carry a bit further than stock and no you can add this DW400 without the blower. It wont need a tune specific for it nor a BAP

Why "overwork" a stock pump with a BAP when you can do the DW400. Its like giving a kit 30lbs of rock to carry up the stairs vs a grown strong man carrying that same weight . lol
I also see the DW is actually cheaper , and the better option.
I wonder why people still option the bap ? Go figure.

BoostN IT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Drew
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ford Mustang GT Premium
I also see the DW is actually cheaper , and the better option.
I wonder why people still option the bap ? Go figure.
You can go dw400 and a bap