Sponsored

ESS Centrifugal Mustang Superchargers

motoracer58

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
For the folks running cats....check your cats.

Was doing my general inspection and saw my driver side cats are going out.
Wasn't experiencing any power loss, just a general check so glad I caught it now before it gets fully clogged and takes out my block.

These are the relatively pricey kooks cats as well supposed to handle up to 900 hp (I'm at about 700 whp / 750-800 chp last time I dynoed it) but there you go.

Kooks Green Cats (GE-90140)

Really trying to avoid any sound increase but I don't think I have any choice but to go catless...

20211222201815205.jpg
20211222201753494.jpg
20211222201659407.jpg
That's the exact reason I went catless when I planned out my ESS build. I didn't want to chance a failure, but I had the same mentality as you, I didn't want that raspy crazy loud noise. I went with stainless power headers without cats, paired with my AWE touring catback it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be sound wise. Above 3k it gets pretty rowdy but just driving around it is manageable until you crack the throttle. My catback has resonators already but I may add another set just to try to tone down the raspy sound
Sponsored

illtal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
That's the exact reason I went catless when I planned out my ESS build. I didn't want to chance a failure, but I had the same mentality as you, I didn't want that raspy crazy loud noise. I went with stainless power headers without cats, paired with my AWE touring catback it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be sound wise. Above 3k it gets pretty rowdy but just driving around it is manageable until you crack the throttle. My catback has resonators already but I may add another set just to try to tone down the raspy sound
Magnaflow street is about as tame as your going to get on a 3 inch exhaust. I run them off road style with LTH, and the sound is VERY nice and not very loud

Exploded_Muffin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT500
$800 for the green cats down the drain, should have gone catless like you from the start.
I've purchased some vibrant resonators so will get the exhaust shop to replace the cats with those and see how it sounds.
I already have the magnaflow tru-x resonators so I think that should be enough.

Last option if it's too loud will be to replace my borla active s-type mufflers with my stock ones (and change the damn tips) but hoping to avoid that as I love the s-types

Brad1810r80

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brad
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang 2018 F150
Only bad thing now is , absolutely nobody sells catless connect pipes anymore. Guess I’ll take mine off the car and get some fab up.

SolarFlare

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 CO GT
Only bad thing now is , absolutely nobody sells catless connect pipes anymore. Guess I’ll take mine off the car and get some fab up.
i got something you might be able to use. I’ll pm you when I’m home

Sponsored

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang 5.0 PP1 10r80 401
I have
thats what I did. I have corsa non catted with the AWE touring and I love it with the h pipe. I think that’s the best we can do for a full quality system with the sound. I have friends with catback corsa extreme that’s louder so we are doing good.

TEXAS HEAT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP1 A10
$800 for the green cats down the drain, should have gone catless like you from the start.
I've purchased some vibrant resonators so will get the exhaust shop to replace the cats with those and see how it sounds.

Last option if it's too loud will be to replace my borla active s-type mufflers with my stock ones (and change the damn tips) but hoping to avoid that as I love the s-types
I have the Old MAK deletes married to a Magnaflow Tru-X resonator with the stock mufflers and the overall noise level is actually very tame, but there's a terrible drone at 2000-2400rpm when the engine has some load on it. I've been contemplating switching to the Borla Touring Axle Back to get rid of the drone inside the cabin, but I think the Borla Sports might be a little loud cat-less though.

DougS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP Whipple Stage 2

So the Kooks Green Cats went out? did you contact Kooks to see about what they will do you you? I was going to go with their Green Cats, but from what you are saying I will stay clear. Thank you

Jonyxz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 5.0 401A 10R80
From what I read, the stock cats hold higher temps than any aftermarket cat. Thats one of the reasons I'm staying on low boost. Apparently, its either oem cats or no cats at all.

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
the stock cats hold higher temps than any aftermarket cat.
there's a thriving black market for 'discount' OEM cats. Maybe some enterprising individuals will come up with a quick-swap cat arrangement.

Sponsored

Exploded_Muffin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT500
I have the Old MAK deletes married to a Magnaflow Tru-X resonator with the stock mufflers and the overall noise level is actually very tame, but there's a terrible drone at 2000-2400rpm when the engine has some load on it. I've been contemplating switching to the Borla Touring Axle Back to get rid of the drone inside the cabin, but I think the Borla Sports might be a little loud cat-less though.
That would be pretty annoying as that's about highway cruise range with the 3.55 rear end in 10th gear.
I just got bottle style vibrant resonators to put in place of the cats. Will have them installed on Monday and see how it goes.

So the Kooks Green Cats went out? did you contact Kooks to see about what they will do you you? I was going to go with their Green Cats, but from what you are saying I will stay clear. Thank you
Yep.
I didn't buy them from an official kooks vendor (purchased new from cspracing) so they won't warranty it per the policy on their page. Didn't bother chasing that down since I don't need a replacement though I guess I could try getting them replaced and sell the replacements to someone making less power.
Good idea, boost doesn't go well with after-market cats. There are a few other threads on this forum with the same issue, I believe one of them had his block taken out as well from the clogged cat.

Jonyxz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 5.0 401A 10R80
there's a thriving black market for 'discount' OEM cats. Maybe some enterprising individuals will come up with a quick-swap cat arrangement.
Wish it was easy and cost effective swapping to gt500 cats

Exploded_Muffin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT500
This was an E54 tune for the 796 whp graph right?
What pulley/psi were you on and what was your max WOT timing?

Went catless recently and the wife isn't fond of the smell on 93 (neither am I tbh) though the car did make about 17 more peak HP than when I was catted (710 - 727). Same dyno and similar DA.

Making the jump to E85 (fuel system + bigger injectors) and doing a clutch upgrade for my 10R80 but want to keep power below 800 whp till I consider doing an engine build (unlikely as this is a street car unless something breaks).
Will inform my decision on how much max timing to request for my PBD E85 tune with my 11 psi / 105 mm pulley. Thanks

Last edited:

kevinvan6000

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020Mustang GT
This was an E54 tune for the 796 whp graph right?
What pulley/psi were you on and what was your max WOT timing?

Went catless recently and the wife isn't fond of the smell on 93 (neither am I tbh) though the car did make about 17 more peak HP than when I was catted (710 - 727). Same dyno and similar DA.

Making the jump to E85 (fuel system + bigger injectors) and doing a clutch upgrade for my 10R80 but want to keep power below 800 whp till I consider doing an engine build (unlikely as this is a street car unless something breaks).
Will inform my decision on how much max timing to request for my PBD E85 tune with my 11 psi / 105 mm pulley. Thanks
Which fuel system did you go with? Im making the jump to e85 as well. Ordered a DW X2 hat, dw95 injectors and a set of fuel rails. Should have it all ready for April/May when the car comes back out. Hoping to be in the 800 to 850hp range. Just going to run e85 at the track vs race fuel. PBD should give you 22 degrees on e85. Looking forward to seeing your results on E.
Sponsored