ESS Centrifugal Mustang Superchargers

DougS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP Whipple Stage 2
Wow! For everything listed, BAP, injectors, tune and device that’s a great deal!

I do agree that the history of Paxton / Vortech is great though and there’s not enough history yet on the ESS unit as far as longevity. But, I’m not a fan of the cold weather warnings and advising not to use the Paxton / Vortech in the cold. Procharger longevity speaks for itself and no issue with temps. But again, overall cost is greater.
When I research ESS they have been making FI systems for decades and make them for 400k-600k cars. I have not seen any car with one of their kits exploding, over heating, breaking cranks ETC. I just haven't found any negatives to speak of. Please post relevant info on their systems used having issues. I would want to compare apples to Apples.
Sponsored

beefcake

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Mustang
When I research ESS they have been making FI systems for decades and make them for 400k-600k cars. I have not seen any car with one of their kits exploding, over heating, breaking cranks ETC. I just haven't found any negatives to speak of. Please post relevant info on their systems used having issues. I would want to compare apples to Apples.
i'll be honest, i have been competitely racing for 22 years, own a very large performance business, and until this thread, i have never seen or heard the name.

never seen a car in 22 years with an ess kit in it. also worked in the automotive sales indusctry for 15 years, and have seen and sold every make / model under the sun and never seen one

Torinate

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Convertible
Not a knock ESS, but honestly, they’re not very well known at all. I’ve been doing this for years, as well as with my Harley and the Rotrex kits for my V/Rod. I’ve had centris before Vortech and Paxton even got together back in the early 90s. I had never heard of ESS until this thread was posted. No idea what you are meaning by relevant data. The fact is there are likely thousands of Procharger, Paxton and Vortechs out there on mustangs but relatively few of these on mustangs.

It may very well be a phenomenal system and no one is disputing that. But there’s very minimal data to make that conclusion at this point. Maybe I didn’t look hard enough as I have no dog in this fight and very much prefer a PD blower for a true street car, but I couldn’t find the actual manufacturer or how long this unit has been in production.

But value for dollars, $6400 OTD with what previous poster got is a great deal!

Exploded_Muffin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT500
There's nothing inherently complex about a centrifugal supercharger.
If quality parts are used in the headunit then the kit will most likely outlast whatever car it's put on.

I haven't dismantled the ESS G2 headunit but from what I've researched and heard directly from ESS the internals are made robustly. Also helps that their kit is very similar to the procharger, they didn't try to reinvent the wheel.

If there happens to be a large number of kit failures in future then I'd expect ESS as a company to sort that out but I highly doubt that will ever be the case.
Procharger, Vortech, Paxton, ESS, Exploded_Muffin..... pick whatever you like that works for your price, effort, quality wise and get on your merry way.

ESS is the new kid on the block hence some of the hype in this thread. It will fizzle out at some point and then be talked about / recommended casually like all the other excellent centrifugal systems we have to select from.

That said..... Damn son, the ESS kit is absolutely excellent from a price/power perspective and I have no ragrets!

Jonyxz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 5.0 401A 10R80
It may be the new kid on the block for mustangs but they've been around for a while. They have been the go to company to SC bimmers for more than 20 years.
They may not have the marketing of procharger but that has nothing to do with the quality of this kit.

Sponsored

Jonyxz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 5.0 401A 10R80
Here is a 759 rwhp v3 vortehc, 582 ft/lbs, 40 less hp and roughly same torque

torque.jpg
Comparing the vortech to the ess graph, the ess develops torque much sooner.
On the vortech when the hp curve crosses the torque it's at 300 compared to the 500 on the ess.
ESS seems to have a much stronger midrange compared to vortech.

Screenshot_20210722-184057_Gallery.jpg

Black Dog

Looking For Trouble
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Fred
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Air Cooled Twins by Comp Turbo
It may be the new kid on the block for mustangs but they've been around for a while. They have been the go to company to SC bimmers for more than 20 years.
They may not have the marketing of procharger but that has nothing to do with the quality of this kit.
Exactly. I have heard good things about them as well in other car groups. I think the competitors are just getting their panties in a wad. More options for us is a good thing. Bring pricing down not up.

andrewtac

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
mark
Vehicle(s)
F250. 2020 GT 400A
On the vortech when the hp curve crosses the torque it's at 300 compared to the 500 on the ess.

The top graphs are both HP, the bottom two are torque (the ones you can't see). How do you know when they cross, also scale the axis and they can cross when you want.

Bonedizzle

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT Base
Because they HP and TQ always cross at the same RPM....

Strokerswild

Shallow and Pedantic
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Things With Wheels

Sponsored

andrewtac

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
mark
Vehicle(s)
F250. 2020 GT 400A

Screenshot_20210722-184057_Gallery.jpg
Comparable one with the torque overlaid. It is also from a Paxton thread on here the torque horsepower curves are nearly identical.

Danny Dyno (1).png

DougS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Vehicle(s)
Man, the ESS kicks ass, BUT: People on here are cheerleaders or associated with a Paxton, Vortex, Procharger Seller. No matter how people try to dice it, besides the ESS kicking ass on the TQ and HP, the higher end G3 kits are thousands cheaper, and that my friend they don't like. All ESS people keep posting all positive as well as negative things about your kits. We thank you.

andrewtac

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
mark
Vehicle(s)
F250. 2020 GT 400A
Man, the ESS kicks ass, BUT: People on here are cheerleaders or associated with a Paxton, Vortex, Procharger Seller. No matter how people try to dice it, besides the ESS kicking ass on the TQ and HP, the higher end G3 kits are thousands cheaper, and that my friend they don't like. All ESS people keep posting all positive as well as negative things about your kits. We thank you.
My intention was not to discount ESS, just point out that the data the poster was given was very inaccurate, 200 ftlbs of torque difference on a centrifugal blower with similar peak HP would either mean one is absolutely horrible or one had some serious unicorn dust. Showing the torque/hp curves are the same for kit that cost more (vortech) actually is positive for ess. I went with vortech over procharger because they were cheaper.

DougS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Vehicle(s)
My intention was not to discount ESS, just point out that the data the poster was given was very inaccurate, 200 ftlbs of torque difference on a centrifugal blower with similar peak HP would either mean one is absolutely horrible or one had some serious unicorn dust. Showing the torque/hp curves are the same for kit that cost more (vortech) actually is positive for ess. I went with vortech over procharger because they were cheaper.
I heard Vortex is better than Paxton because they drive on the passenger side and not the driver's side. Really don't know, one racers opinion. Thanks

kenand1988

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT
Comparable one with the torque overlaid. It is also from a Paxton thread on here the torque horsepower curves are nearly identical.

Danny Dyno (1).png
Do you know what boost level theses runs were made at?
Sponsored