Nardly

Nardly

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bernard
Vehicle(s)
21 Mach 1 Twister Orange M2425 Chassis
Fact checking time - this is old, partly true, partly not. See https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/epa-seeks-ban-racecar-conversions/
Number one Snopes in my opinion is biased. And basically Snopes reiterated most parts are true.

SEMA response to Snopes: Although your article claims that it is “false” that the EPA is banning road-to-race car conversions, the language that the EPA is adding to the regulations (below) literally makes it illegal to make any changes to the “emission control devices” of a “certified motor vehicle” (i.e., any vehicle that was originally sold as complying with emissions standards for street use) even if the vehicle is being converted for racing and will never again be used on public roads. The EPA considers “emission control devices” to include the engine, the computer that runs the engine, the intake and the exhaust, so any changes to these components would be prohibited. The fact that the EPA says that they don’t plan on enforcing it does not change the fact that they are adding it to the regulations. SEMA also disagrees with the EPA’s position that this was already the law because the Clean Air Act, as written and amended by Congress, was never intended to extend to racing vehicles.

sakman84

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1 Premium. 6MT, Blue, upgraded wheels
Fact checking time - this is old, partly true, partly not. See https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/epa-seeks-ban-racecar-conversions/
It is the EPAs desire, and they want it written into the legislation. They claim they will not enforce that particular provision, but that doesn't mean that the next EPA regulator will be so lax. If the next official wants to enforce, he/she will now have the backing of law to do so.

Anyone, especially an enthusiast who will grant them this power, or trust the EPA not to use it, is being very naĂŻve. This isn't an attack, but seriously, in 2021.... someone who doesn't see this as ripe for abuse....I don't know what to say, they must not have eyes to see and ears to listen.

Meanwhile SUVs and trucks are not subject to gas guzzler tax, coal fired power plants spew billons of pounds of Co2 into the air, including foreign nations whom don't give a damn. (looking at you China). The "Porter Ranch gas leak, poured GhGs for months on end.
Road to race car vehicles aren't the problem here, smh, going after the smallest piece of the pie to fix a giant global problem.

From your link:
On 11 February 2016, a SEMA representative e-mailed us a statement regarding the EPA-related controversy. SEMA maintained that the wording of the EPA’s proposed changes made road to racecar conversions functionally illegal, irrespective of whether the EPA intended to enforce said proposed changes. Moreover, SEMA reiterated opposition to the EPA’s assertion extant provisions of the Clean Air Act extended to racing vehicles:

Although your article claims that it is “false” that the EPA is banning road-to-race car conversions, the language that the EPA is adding to the regulations (below) literally makes it illegal to make any changes to the “emission control devices” of a “certified motor vehicle” (i.e., any vehicle that was originally sold as complying with emissions standards for street use) even if the vehicle is being converted for racing and will never again be used on public roads. The EPA considers “emission control devices” to include the engine, the computer that runs the engine, the intake and the exhaust, so any changes to these components would be prohibited. The fact that the EPA says that they don’t plan on enforcing it does not change the fact that they are adding it to the regulations. SEMA also disagrees with the EPA’s position that this was already the law because the Clean Air Act, as written and amended by Congress, was never intended to extend to racing vehicles.
“Certified motor vehicles and motor vehicle engines and their emission control devices must remain in their certified configuration even if they are used solely for competition or if they become nonroad vehicles or engines.” 80 Fed. Reg. 40138, 40565 (July 13, 2015).

Sponsored

Atlas1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Audi S6, 2021 Mach 1 'M1985'
i'm quickly getting to the point that i just simply dont care what the epa or any other group of assholes says about anything. to be honest i don't even care enough to read what sema has to say about the issue. i'm finding a lot more peace and happiness when ignoring them all together.
maybe living in the pacific northwest and watching during the last 12+ months changed my views on it all as the two biggest metro areas near me turned into complete lawless hellscapes where crime goes unpunished and rule of law disappeared. funny, my taxes stayed the same though and i've been expected to follow all of the laws this whole time :wink:.
i think i'm just going to go ahead and modify my cars how i see fit. i don't need the epa's permission any longer.

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I like to disassemble things.
The issue with the EPA/CARB is systemic. The ideology that promotes their predatory and discriminatory practices needs to be framed as such, attacked, and destroyed. They can then be reprogrammed and schooled on how to be more inclusive. Big oil needs to pick a target, such as the entire state of California, and decide to no longer supply them with gasoline - period. Go scortched earth and watch this silliness collapse in utter chaos. This is what they want so I say beat them to the punch and deliver the future, right now.

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 gt, 2002 FXDWG, 2008 C6,
Big oil needs to pick a target, such as the entire state of California, and decide to no longer supply them with gasoline - period. Go scortched earth and watch this silliness collapse in utter chaos. This is what they want so I say beat them to the punch and deliver the future, right now.
I wish this would happen.

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I like to disassemble things.
They keep poking the bear and we may just find out. The boiling point isn't that far away...

Sponsored

newmoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
04 Cobra, 10 SS, 12 392, 12 5.0
I think that if you want to mod your cars do it soon as the Government will step in at some point halting any ECM calibration changes.

Zelek

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1
After messing with emissions on my last Mustang with the headers and tunes, I'll be keeping my stock headers on this round. It was annoying switching tunes back and forth trying to get around the readiness check. I think my biggest issue was not being able to go back to the stock tune because of the 18 manifold I had installed. If I do end up going with headers at some point, I'll probably do the Kook's green cats but with the way things have been going lately and with the pain in the butt install of headers, it feels like its hardly worth it.