Sponsored

"Entry Level" Performance 2020 Mustang Coming -- Mustang ST?

jake_zx2

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Kona Blue 2018 GT
Vehicle Showcase
The lap times I posted are generally excepted as official fastest lap times and measure a cars capabilities in the hands of a professional driver, why stop posting them? We all know that consistent is not the same as fastest right? The times will change depending on who is driving, weather conditions, and other unknown factors. I was actually just being a smart ass but let's continue anyway.
It's because inconsistent lap times mean that you really don't know which is fastest or slowest, and usually when you get your fastest lap, there are still areas where you know you can get even more out of the car. Getting a decent lap time is more about luck than skill or speed. If you haven't yet looked into it, check out the documentary about the Viper ACR team that went there. I was there for that, and it was a grueling process
Sponsored

Maggneto

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Turbo Premium PP/Navi/ZF(6R80) Shaker Pro
It's because inconsistent lap times mean that you really don't know which is fastest or slowest, and usually when you get your fastest lap, there are still areas where you know you can get even more out of the car. Getting a decent lap time is more about luck than skill or speed. If you haven't yet looked into it, check out the documentary about the Viper ACR team that went there. I was there for that, and it was a grueling process
Sure, I understand the different between consistent and fastest lap times. Professional drivers will have more consistent results and achieve the fastest lap times when the weather is nice and the track is closed to other traffic. This gives us insight into what a car is capable of compared to other cars. It is a measurement that most of us will never achieve but it is a measurement of performance none the less.

Once you put Joe Schmoe behind the wheel it doesn't matter what they are driving when you encounter a "Sabine" in an RS at the Ring on a any day. You, me and 99.9 percent of the population are losing that race.

Bull Run

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang EB Prem PP
So being honest makes me an EB-Bro? That is a new one. You were the one who started this conversation with a blatantly false statement.

The RS 0-60 in 4.5 seconds, This was equal if not better than the 2015-2017 GT. The latest GT with the HP increase, improvements, and A10 is 0-60 in 4.0 seconds. The RS has not been updated, is a manual, and yet .5 seconds is all that separates them 0-60 which is hardly a "crushing" defeat. I don't pay much attention to straight line racing as it doesn't interest me that much. A difference of half a "1 Mississippi" isn't going to amount to a hill of beans in a actual race around an actual race track with actual turns where the entire performance of a car can be measured. In this environment the RS "crushed" the GT at the ring.

Not that it makes any difference to me either way as I don't time myself 0-60, 1/4, or race around the ring. I am simply pointing out that your one sided assessment of the GT is not that crushing once you look at the big picture.
No, getting into a rage whenever EB vs GT's discussed and completely ignoring the context of the discussion makes you an EB-bro since this isn't the first time you went off and sprayed the bystanders. I'm more than willing to say that a Mustang EB with mods (self-installed) costing 1/2 the MSRP difference can do as good or slightly better than a stock GT, but I can't even make that argument with the RS since it costs more than the GT to begin with. I wasn't the one that started the discussion thread about the RS nor did I make any false statements. I even posted the R&T article about the GT's performance in the straight line times so you won't come back complaining about so-and-so magazine being in favor of GT since you posted an R&T link yourself.

Mikthehun1 has a 2019 Mustang GT with A10, so why would I use 2015-2017 GTs with manuals as a comparison? It's not his fault that RS didn't get a refresh and A10's not an option for it. Also considering that the MSRP for the base 2018 RS is $41,120 whereas base 2018 GT's MSRP is $35,095, I'd consider addition of the A10 option more than fair (although manual GTs will still beat it). And you don't think .5 second in 0-60 isn't a big deal? Heck a simple Google search shows 0-60 of 3.9 seconds for 2018 GT and 4.6 seconds for 2018 RS (both from Car and Driver), so depending on the source, gap's even greater. And can you tell me what's Nurburgring got to do with 0-60 and 1/4 mile??? Aside from the fact that RS and GT drivers probably won't be driving their cars against each other in the Nurburgring whereas chances are much higher of them facing each other at the local drag strip?

And if this was a "one-sided" assessment as you say, why did I say: "But for the average driver on street tires, AWD's much easier to launch and I suspect that real-life 0-60 numbers will be much closer." and "As for the RS head gaskets, I guess that goes along with Ecobooms for EBs, ticks for the Coyotes, and oil consumption for the Voodoos so I would've harp on the reliability of another Ford product."

Twizzty

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bones
Vehicle(s)
2021 Camaro 1SS 1LE MT
Vehicle Showcase
I'm surprised fatguy hasn't stopped in to say his v6 will smoke the GT and RS in a dirty race...
Sponsored