Sponsored

"Entry Level" Performance 2020 Mustang Coming -- Mustang ST?

w3rkn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
bmw 135is(sold)
Of course anything could happen, but the difference I see is that SVO wasn't just a name given to a version of the car, it was taken from the team "Special Vehicle Operations", which changed to "Special Vehicle Team" (SVT), and then became Ford Performance. Since the team it was named after no longer exists, I can see Ford not wanting to waste the opportunity for marketing by using a reference to a group that hasn't existed for 25 years.
It doesn't matter what they call it, only so long as it follows in the spirit of the original SVO.

And if... Ford actually does honor the SVO with a upscale turbostang, it won't matter to anyone what it is called, because there are plenty of aftermarket SVO badges to go around.
Sponsored

Twin Turbo

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
Mustang '05 GT
I think there are 2 problems calling this SVO.

1 - SVO stood for Special Vehicle Operations (the skunkworks which became SVT which became Ford Performance)....so it doesn't exist anymore......at least in terms of Ford

2 - Jaguar/Land Rover now have a skunkworks called SVO.....Ford MUST have let the Trademark slip :frown:

svomanufacturingfacility16.jpg

Bullitt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang Bullitt
Ah, good point, I forgot about the JLR SVO division. Gotta be an ST then, they've been on a kick with those recently anyway, having a real sports car with the badge will help give the others some credibility I think. Only a few more days.

martinjlm

Retired from GM
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Camaro Fifty SS Convertible
This thread is so far off the rails I'm not sure anyone will care. It would be Mustang ST, Jaguar now use the SVO label on their performance cars and yes it stand for Special Vehicle Operations. See what happens if you don't copy right your stuff.
I think there are 2 problems calling this SVO.

1 - SVO stood for Special Vehicle Operations (the skunkworks which became SVT which became Ford Performance)....so it doesn't exist anymore......at least in terms of Ford

2 - Jaguar/Land Rover now have a skunkworks called SVO.....Ford MUST have let the Trademark slip :frown:

svomanufacturingfacility16.jpg
Ah, good point, I forgot about the JLR SVO division. Gotta be an ST then, they've been on a kick with those recently anyway, having a real sports car with the badge will help give the others some credibility I think. Only a few more days.
Even though the Jaguar skunkworks is named SVO, the vehicles coming out of it are badged SVR.
5E5E453E-BE76-4C23-AD9E-ED66E1BA45ED.png

NoReins

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Work in Progress
Just noticed Carlisle Events posted something about a "Mystery Mustang" that will be at the Ford Nationals this year

See the NEW GT500 and a New MYSTERY Mustang at the Ford Nationals
Check out the Latest in Performance Mustangs from Ford Motor Company
The Ford Nationals is known as one of the first stopping points for new vehicles after their debut and this year is no different! Check out the all-new 700HP Shelby GT500 at this year’s Ford Nationals! Ford will not only have the vehicle on display but will also have walk-arounds at 1 p.m. and 4:40 p.m. on Saturday at the event! This is one of the first chances to see and hear the car in person!

Also, Ford will have an ALL-NEW still to be debuted performance Ford Mustang at this year’s event! More details soon on that and you can check it out on display as well as at its walk-around at 11 a.m. on Friday at the event!

Sponsored

Cardude99

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ecoboost
I really hope this SV0 an EB PP2 w/Ford Performance touch.
I just hope it's manual only so I don't feel bad about not waiting lol

Bull Run

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang EB Prem PP
And yet an NA Coyote still manages 0-60 times over half a second faster than an RS. It's a shame Ford left all those extra torques on the factory floor. Right next to the correct RS head gaskets.
No doubt that stock vs. stock, Mustang GT will crush Focus RS on both 0-60 and 1/4 on an all-out-efforts run. But for the average driver on street tires, AWD's much easier to launch and I suspect that real-life 0-60 numbers will be much closer. I never drove an RS before but I had Dodge Stealth TT (AWD) in the past and it was hard to break the tires loose event with mods. Also, note that small turbos that come with the RS's good for quick spool and low-end torque, but quickly runs out of breath a higher RPMs. That probably won't matter for most drivers since they won't be launching at high RPMs at every stop light while DDing their cars.

As for the RS head gaskets, I guess that goes along with Ecobooms for EBs, ticks for the Coyotes, and oil consumption for the Voodoos so I would've harp on the reliability of another Ford product.

Maggneto

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Turbo Premium PP/Navi/ZF(6R80) Shaker Pro
No doubt that stock vs. stock, Mustang GT will crush Focus RS on both 0-60 and 1/4 on an all-out-efforts run. But for the average driver on street tires, AWD's much easier to launch and I suspect that real-life 0-60 numbers will be much closer. I never drove an RS before but I had Dodge Stealth TT (AWD) in the past and it was hard to break the tires loose event with mods. Also, note that small turbos that come with the RS's good for quick spool and low-end torque, but quickly runs out of breath a higher RPMs. That probably won't matter for most drivers since they won't be launching at high RPMs at every stop light while DDing their cars.

As for the RS head gaskets, I guess that goes along with Ecobooms for EBs, ticks for the Coyotes, and oil consumption for the Voodoos so I would've harp on the reliability of another Ford product.
The only place a stock GT is crushing a stock RS is in your head.

https://www.roadandtrack.com/new-cars/videos/a31330/ford-mustang-gt-focus-rs-drag-race/

The RS smoked the GT at Nurburgring.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_NĂĽrburgring_Nordschleife_lap_times

8:06.29 Ford Focus RS (Mk III, 2016) Christian Gebhardt Sport Auto (1/2017).[250][251]
8:06.56 Honda NSX(NA1) Fredrik Sørlie September 2016 Kumho HU36, D2 coilovers[252]
8:07 Ford Mustang GT Performance Pack Horst von Saurma 2015

Last edited:

Bullitt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang Bullitt
$120k+ and a whippled base GT will crush it for about $40k all said and done.
There's more to life than drag racing and more merits to a car than its straight line performance...

Sponsored

Maggneto

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

Maggneto

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

Maggneto

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
There is some truth to it though. Tuning for one specific track doesn't mean the car is set up properly for actual driving. Posting a fast number in one places doesn't mean the car will be the best on the road. Besides aftermarket suspension mods exists, as I said before. I'll bet you 10,000,000 Quatloos that a fully modded Mustang will be a stock Jag-u-war on any track in the world, any street, any strip. Murica!
The ring simply measures the performance of a car and skill of the driver, whether tuned for the ring or not.

The Focus RS and GT are setup for daily driving and not tuned specifically for the ring. These are performance oriented cars that are meant for daily driving. How well they perform as a daily can be seen on Consumer reports, Car and Driver, Road and Track, or many other reviews on YouTube like our esteemed member Bullitt.

This list of lap times is for production vehicles and not modified vehicles.

Production, street-legal vehicles
A production vehicle is defined as "one that is put into mass production, as a model produced in large numbers and offered for sale to the public." VCA, the United Kingdom's national approval authority for new road vehicles[17] defines a production vehicle as "a vehicle of a make, model and type mass produced by the vehicle manufacturer." Guinness World Records was reported to require a minimum of 30[18] and other lists within Wikipedia require at least 25 road legal cars built. The Nürburgring is a public (toll-) road, and regulations of Germany and the EU apply. For the purpose of this list, a car is “street legal” if it can be registered in at least one EU country for road use, even if it can't pass German TÜV.

For new entries, this list requires an official manufacturer’s press release for manufacturer-conducted tests. If the test has been conducted by an independent publication, an article in that publication is required. New entries require an original, uncut on-board video, showing the lap and the timing from start to finish. A statement that road legal OEM tyres have been used is required.

Aftermarket, modified versions are a different subject but even a highly modified GT will be no match for a highly modified 1.0 litre ecoboost at the ring.

https://www.evo.co.uk/ford/focus/12720/ford-ecoboost-racer-sets-ring-time

A car with a 1-litre engine has set one of the fastest Nurburgring lap times. It’s no normal car or 1-litre engine, however. It’s a one-off road legal Formula Ford race car packing a tuned version of the Blue Oval’s 1-litre Ecoboost engine

Its 7min22sec Nordschleife lap puts the Ecoboost 11th in the list of fastest ever times. That’s better than the quickest recorded times by the Lamborghini Aventador and Pagani Zonda – cars whose engines are more than six times the size of the Ford’s. It’s also faster than any time yet recorded by a three or four-cylinder car

Last edited:

w3rkn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
bmw 135is(sold)
The Nurb is a street.... just a long one, with no speed limit....

Bull Run

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang EB Prem PP
The only place a stock GT is crushing a stock RS is in your head.

https://www.roadandtrack.com/new-cars/videos/a31330/ford-mustang-gt-focus-rs-drag-race/

The RS smoked the GT at Nurburgring.

8:06.29 Ford Focus RS (Mk III, 2016) Christian Gebhardt Sport Auto (1/2017).[250][251]
8:06.56 Honda NSX(NA1) Fredrik Sørlie September 2016 Kumho HU36, D2 coilovers[252]
8:07 Ford Mustang GT Performance Pack Horst von Saurma 2015
First of all, stop being such an EB-bro re-read the discussion between me and Mikthehun1 which is about 0-60 and 1/4 times. You do realize that Mustang GT gained more power, A10, and better tires for the PP in 2018, right? The R&T article below (which references Hot Rod), shows 1/4 mile of 11.83 seconds. Yes, they also commented on the performance difference from the previous test.

"Let's put that 11.83-second run into context. The last Mustang GT we got test numbers on, a manual-transmission 2016 Performance Package making 435 hp, ran a 13.2-second quarter-mile. This is the first year for the new 10-speed automatic, and the first time the Performance Package can be ordered with the auto; our colleagues at Car and Driver managed a 13.0-second quarter-mile in a non-Performance Mustang GT with the old six-speed auto back in 2015."

https://www.roadandtrack.com/new-cars/a14749697/2018-ford-mustang-gt-0-60-quarter-mile/

Mustang GT 460 HP, curb weight 3705, ~8 lb/hp
Focus RS 350 HP, curb weight 3434, ~10 lb/hp

Even without the bench racing, I stand by my statement about the GT crushing the RS in an all-out effort 0-60 and 1/4 mile drag racing since the RS has worse power to weight ratio and doesn't have the optimal transmission drag racing,
Sponsored