Frank.Herbst

Frank.Herbst

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Frank
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350
Fascinates me how bent out of shape folks get when they have a relatively minor engine issue (such as oil consumption) and they're given a BRAND NEW replacement engine for free without question.
Great replies from all of you. I had read a reply on another post and needed to vent. Staying home is getting old...
Sponsored

mustangguy88

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT with PP
Vehicle Showcase
Whats considered expensive nowadays? These are Fords, top tier models, F150 $70K, Expedition $80, Lincoln Navigator $144K, New GT350 $65K. These were ment to have fun with, we know about the oil consumption issue and hope its not my car. Knowing the issue requires checking the oil more often, When it becomes an excessive issue get the dealer involved.

Again, agreeing with the original post, unless you purchased the car before it became a known issue, why needlesly complain about something that is readily repaired by the dealer, unless you are picking up the cost of repairs?

Life is short and given this virus issue that should have made that clear to anyone watching the news. Enjoy life and the cars we are privileged to own, and when problems arise, get it fixed and drive on. There too much road to drive before our numbers get called.

Last edited:

03reptile

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT350
I have a 2019. No engine issues or oil usage after 6K miles. Given the number of GT350's that have been produced since model year 2016, I think the number of engine failures I have read about on this and other forums (assuming they are accurate) is infinitesimal compared to the number of cars produced that have no issues. Also, the reason FMC does not want technicians tearing into an engine that they are going to warranty is simply because they want "their" in house engineers, who are highly trained and qualified, to tear the engines down to determine cause and effect. I'd do the same thing. As we all know, dealerships have great technicians and also mediocre ones, hence, the dictate from Ford. None of us know if theses threads are accurate or fanciful, but I do know that these engines are pretty close to race engines concerning internal tolerances and break-in procedures are critical to assure a long engine life. Some may have not been careful in that process and also some engines just break as do BMW's, Porsches, Corvettes, and other performance oriented engines. I don't worry about my engine and simply enjoy such a wonderful machine!

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
At some point it could be damaging to the resale value of our cars and they should know it.
Then take your beef up with Ford Engineering and Engine Assembly. It's their screw up.

Yes, forums are hotbeds of selection bias. But if you thought your Shelby was special and would violate the laws of pricing gravity, you're sorely mistaken. Hell the Coyote2/3 are practically worthless now because of typewriter tick, and whatever else the Youtube boobs have come up with. And the EB goes Boom, don't you know?

Ford could have turned QC up to 10 on all rotating assembly parts. Maybe they did after the first string of failures. They could have hot-tested each and every motor and did the initial break-in in the factory in a controlled, scientific fashion instead of hoping the customer didn't do something boneheaded. Ultimately they didn't want to spend the money. Whatever the official failure rate is, HQ is happy to sustain the status quo and any reputation harm that comes about has already been put into the spreadsheet and it wasn't bad enough to take further corrective action.

Last edited:

Voodoo Velocity

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT350 / 2016 Acura RLX Sport Hybrid
me thinks the joke was lost.....

Sponsored

OP
OP
Frank.Herbst

Frank.Herbst

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Frank
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350
I have a 2019. No engine issues or oil usage after 6K miles. Given the number of GT350's that have been produced since model year 2016, I think the number of engine failures I have read about on this and other forums (assuming they are accurate) is infinitesimal compared to the number of cars produced that have no issues. Also, the reason FMC does not want technicians tearing into an engine that they are going to warranty is simply because they want "their" in house engineers, who are highly trained and qualified, to tear the engines down to determine cause and effect. I'd do the same thing. As we all know, dealerships have great technicians and also mediocre ones, hence, the dictate from Ford. None of us know if theses threads are accurate or fanciful, but I do know that these engines are pretty close to race engines concerning internal tolerances and break-in procedures are critical to assure a long engine life. Some may have not been careful in that process and also some engines just break as do BMW's, Porsches, Corvettes, and other performance oriented engines. I don't worry about my engine and simply enjoy such a wonderful machine!
Great reply... my commuter car used in northern Virginia for years was a Subaru. Trans went on it and Subaru told the dealer to remove and replace with a new one. Even a non-performance econo-box can break.

PP0001

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 CTR LE (126 & 581)
Then take your beef up with Ford Engineering and Engine Assembly. It's their screw up.

Yes, forums are hotbeds of selection bias. But if you thought your Shelby was special and would violate the laws of pricing gravity, you're sorely mistaken. Hell the Coyote2/3 are practically worthless now because of typewriter tick, and whatever else the Youtube boobs have come up with. And the EB goes Boom, don't you know?

Ford could have turned QC up to 10 on all rotating assembly parts. Maybe they did after the first string of failures. They could have hot-tested each and every motor and did the initial break-in in the factory in a controlled, scientific fashion instead of hoping the customer didn't do something boneheaded. Ultimately they didn't want to spend the money. Whatever the official failure rate is, HQ is happy to sustain the status quo and any reputation harm that comes about has already been put into the spreadsheet and it wasn't bad enough to take further corrective action.
And after all of the engine failures that Ford has supposedly sustained in recent months/years they somehow outsold one of their main and long time Pony Car competitor by a ratio of 2.5 to 1.:like:

Not sure if you have seen the 2020 Q1 sales results for Mustang versus Camaro but Mustang production numbers for Q1 totalled 18,069 vehicles compared to just 7,185 Camaro's which is a difference of almost 11,000 vehicles over a 3 month period.:muscle:

Based on the above 2020 Q1 production numbers Ford's reputation cannot be all that bad when it comes to Mustang and/or engines or there must just be a bunch of very dumb enthusiasts out there that just don't know any better which is obviously not the case.

Let's face it your Camaro and the owners of many other new generation Camaro's are unfortunately on their way out as the writing is clearly on the wall!

:sunglasses:

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
And after all of the engine failures that Ford has supposedly sustained in recent months/years they somehow outsold one of their main and long time Pony Car competitor by a ratio of 2.5 to 1
which suggests the number of people who look thru m6g and take all the engine blowup threads into account for the buying decision matrix are slim to none. And therefore OP's justification/premise is weak. I don't have a good answer for the utter collapse in Camaro sales. I suspect it has something to do with stingy markdowns vs the competition.

svttim

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350R
which suggests the number of people who look thru m6g and take all the engine blowup threads into account for the buying decision matrix are slim to none. And therefore OP's justification/premise is weak. I don't have a good answer for the utter collapse in Camaro sales. I suspect it has something to do with stingy markdowns vs the competition.
Or, maybe people think its ugly or, maybe people dont like the visibility or...….. on and on.

Im not trashing the Camaro. But, stingy markdowns?

All car sales are down. I suspect the Mustang faithful is a larger group to begin with so, we have not seen the same decline in sales but, we have seen a decline. It will be interesting to see what happens after the demise of the Camaro

mustangguy88

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT with PP
Vehicle Showcase
Or, maybe people think its ugly or, maybe people dont like the visibility or...….. on and on.

Im not trashing the Camaro. But, stingy markdowns?

All car sales are down. I suspect the Mustang faithful is a larger group to begin with so, we have not seen the same decline in sales but, we have seen a decline. It will be interesting to see what happens after the demise of the Camaro
Very well written, thanks for putting fact to fiction.

Sponsored

Minn19

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
19 ZL1 1LE, 19 F150, 19 SB S5
Years later these conversations (and there are still Ford apologists/deniers this is a problem which is crazy in its own right) are still going on?

Enjoy your "sales lead" while your Mustang/GT350/GT500 is in the shop getting a new engine.

svttim

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350R
Years later these conversations (and there are still Ford apologists/deniers this is a problem which is crazy in its own right) are still going on?

Enjoy your "sales lead" while your Mustang/GT350/GT500 is in the shop getting a new engine.
Years later these conversations will live on because people like you cannot stick to facts or respond to facts. I get it, your bored and you think trolling a GT350 forum is fun. Maybe instead of spouting off, you can bring your 1LE to Road America and we can actually have some fun (after the lock down is ended)

mustangguy88

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT with PP
Vehicle Showcase

Why do Chevy guys even participate in these discussions?

I would hope GM finally got the pushrod engine right after over 50 years of development. Though, it is unfortunate that they just can build better cars around an old engine design. Even their new Corvette has the pushrod engine. Ford on the other hand, builds a supercar with a twin turbo charged, overhead cam V6 engine. What are they thinking?

Unlike Chevy, Ford has developed all new tech, in a all new car. There will growing pains, but its hard to argue how easy it is to get ridiculous HP out of a new Mustang of any trim.

Most Ford fans will get thru the issues because the cars are plain fun to drive.

Just saying.

Minn19

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
Years later these conversations will live on because people like you cannot stick to facts or respond to facts. I get it, your bored and you think trolling a GT350 forum is fun. Maybe instead of spouting off, you can bring your 1LE to Road America and we can actually have some fun (after the lock down is ended)
Can't stick to the facts? You mean the fact that Voodoos have been consistently blowing engines (using a ton of oil) every MY they've been around? And not for just one reason that can be traced and fixed. For numerous reasons hence the biggest thread here is the blown engine thread.

I'd love to meet up at RA. Driver for driver the GT350s.......R or not can't hang with a ZL1 (1LE). They have their hands full against SS 1LEs much less ZL1s.

Minn19

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
Why do Chevy guys even participate in these discussions?

I would hope GM finally got the pushrod engine right after over 50 years of development. Though, it is unfortunate that they just can build better cars around an old engine design. Even their new Corvette has the pushrod engine. Ford on the other hand, builds a supercar with a twin turbo charged, overhead cam V6 engine. What are they thinking?

Unlike Chevy, Ford has developed all new tech, in a all new car. There will growing pains, but its hard to argue how easy it is to get ridiculous HP out of a new Mustang of any trim.

Most Ford fans will get thru the issues because the cars are plain fun to drive.

Just saying.
I had two GT350s and loved them when they worked (engine replacement not even being close to the only issue by the way). I'm not a Ford guy or Chevy guy (I actually hate GM, but the Alpha chassis/ZL1, SSs etc are that good). I've also had a lot of M cars etc. I'm just a car guy that doesn't care about badges nor blindly stick up for a company that continually effs over their customers.

Chevy uses old tech, but they are right there with Ford and beat them plenty of times performance wise. The Camaros/Vettes are plenty fun to drive as well.
Sponsored