Sponsored

Engine Tick Preventive Measures

Elp_jc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
One thing I did do that most people don't anymore is fill the oil filter before installing it.
I always do that too :D. If it's inclined, we can't fill it up, but at least much more than when it's horizontal, like on my departed F-150. I think on the Mustang is at 45-deg, right? I'm due for my first oil change around 1K miles soon. And will probably do the tranny and Torsen at the same time :). To get all the assembly and break-in crap out of there; can't hurt. He he. And I'm thinking of changing the tranny to BG SS-II, which might help a little with the 1-2 notchiness and 2-3 'nibble'. Will do BG at the rear too, but 75/90, not the 75/140 they're recommending, since I'll never track my car. 75/90 should be enough even for hot TX not abused, and it's just above stock (75/85) when hot.

Just did my first oil change, bought the car with 4K miles
At that mileage, there's absolutely no maintenance required, so nothing wrong with not having an oil change before. We 'anal' types like to do it early, but it's certainly not required. Glad your car is quieter now after synthetic 5/20; it's usually the opposite, so good to hear :).

Finally, the 'tick' is coming from the bottom of the engine, so definitely not the cam phasers. However, the 2K 'rattle' could be that. However, it's my understanding only the Borg Warner exhaust cam phasers are oil operated; the intake one is electrically driven. Maybe somebody with a service manual can shed some light on that. My truck had all 4 Borg Warner, and the intake one ratcheted on deceleration. Haven't heard the Mustang doing that, but I haven't tried to duplicate it either. It only happens when cold, and it's supposedly a 'cleaning cycle'. Whatever it is, the 2K rattle is quite loud on my car, and lasts until 3K, so not enjoyable at all. Ha ha. The good news is with the stereo on, and the exhaust on normal or above, it can't be heard. I'm not trying to avoid that rpm band, where my engine spends easily the majority of the miles (at least so far), so if it's detrimental to the engine, I'll start noticing it getting louder. Hope that's not the case. We'll see. If I don't get the tick, I can settle only having that 'issue' just fine, since it looks like I dodged the excessive oil consumption issue by having none in 802 miles. Hope it stays that way. It's a fantastic engine otherwise. Curious what happens after my first oil change in about 200 miles. Have a great weekend gang.
Sponsored

NoVaGT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 GT Kona
I hear you loud and clear. And I also agree with you. But you know what you mean by beating on an engine. I do too. But there is going to be some newbie on here that will take our advise and destroy their car. Remember we are always talking to the lowest common denominator. :like::fistbump:
Well....yeah...I get your point. I'll say "don't baby it", rather than "beat on it". Those are better words.

MaskedRacerX

Driver
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
DT
Vehicle(s)
'21_JWS4XE / '21_TM3P
[QUOTE="Elp_jc, post: 2942052, member: 49841

At that mileage, there's absolutely no maintenance required, so nothing wrong with not having an oil change before. We 'anal' types like to do it early, but it's certainly not required. Glad your car is quieter now after synthetic 5/20; it's usually the opposite, so good to hear :).
[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I wasn't too worried about the oil given the total mileage, and the previous owners clearly didn't drive it hard. Heck, I suppose they may have even done an early change. At any rate, at least I've got a reference change date/mileage moving forward. :sunglasses:
Sponsored