Engine shake/vibration after clutch and trans install

Stang55

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Qays
Vehicle(s)
'15 Mustang 5.0 Premium
I second the aluminum flywheel possibly being the problem. Mcleod makes a lightened steel flywheel. As far as the factory clutch.... It's a single disc made in Turkey. I am on my second and after 22k it's slipping. I also tried to get the 18+ dual disc but dealer said nope.

Mantic clutches are $$$. I would rather use that money toward a Magnum XL.
OP you picked an organic surface which is great for smooth engagement, exedy make a single organic. I would go for that and buy a new oem dual mass flywheel you will have OEM like smoothness. If you don't mind a little chatter ( nowhere near a ceramic disk + smfw setup) I'd go for the steel single mass flywheel as well.
Sponsored

OP
OP
Racereds550

Racereds550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Al
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT mt82
I have purchased an exedy twin disc, I'm waiting for a new slave cylinder and pilot bearing to come in before I drop the trans again. I don't mind a little chatter but the McLeod was terrible. Fingers crossed this fixes it. I was going to buy a mantic single after hearing people talk highly of them, in the same turn I'd rather have the twin and it will be setup for a blower later this year. I don't believe the 18+ parts can be used with the 17 and older cars.

DivineStrike

Doomsday
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 GTPP, 11 F150 FX4, 07 CBR600RR
Iā€™m curious to see your results. Iā€™ve been noticing a vibration lately, had the clutch and everything else replaced a few years ago (16ish thousand miles ago) engine wasnā€™t as smooth initially as it was before but it was only barely noticeable. Now itā€™s a little bit more noticeable. (Had a vibration related to tires a couple years ago, so that could have been masking any other vibes)

the current vibe is definitely pressure plate and forward, because even at speed pushing in the clutch smooths it out. the flywheel is the exedy lightened steel. Considering taking it apart and installing a stock flywheel.

Stang55

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Qays
Vehicle(s)
'15 Mustang 5.0 Premium
Iā€™m curious to see your results. Iā€™ve been noticing a vibration lately, had the clutch and everything else replaced a few years ago (16ish thousand miles ago) engine wasnā€™t as smooth initially as it was before but it was only barely noticeable. Now itā€™s a little bit more noticeable. (Had a vibration related to tires a couple years ago, so that could have been masking any other vibes)

the current vibe is definitely pressure plate and forward, because even at speed pushing in the clutch smooths it out. the flywheel is the exedy lightened steel. Considering taking it apart and installing a stock flywheel.
Go for it man, nothing will beat the OEM flywheel in terms of smoothness, not to mention that vibration is slowly eating your transmission away. Only bad part is you cannot resurface it if you change the clutch but its not an expensive part per say. I would have thought the springs in the clutch is designed to withstand drivetrain shock I guess not only that but you need an oem flywheel as well.

OP
OP
Racereds550

Racereds550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Al
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT mt82
After having some time to think about my situation while waiting for parts I've decided I'm going to send it to the dealer and have a factory clutch and flywheel installed. I truthfully don't have the time currently to keep messing with this. I'm hoping to do a t56 swap later this year if everything works out right. I can say after installing the factory clutch that was in the car prior to having the trans built things smoothed out a little bit but the vibration is still there. I can hear the clutch springs moaning and groaning on acceleration and in certain rpm ranges. If the dealer installed clutch assembly doesn't fix my issue I'm going to LS swap this car lol.

Sponsored

Stang55

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Qays
Vehicle(s)
'15 Mustang 5.0 Premium
After having some time to think about my situation while waiting for parts I've decided I'm going to send it to the dealer and have a factory clutch and flywheel installed. I truthfully don't have the time currently to keep messing with this. I'm hoping to do a t56 swap later this year if everything works out right. I can say after installing the factory clutch that was in the car prior to having the trans built things smoothed out a little bit but the vibration is still there. I can hear the clutch springs moaning and groaning on acceleration and in certain rpm ranges. If the dealer installed clutch assembly doesn't fix my issue I'm going to LS swap this car lol.
This is the most cost effective route. The OEM clutch and flywheel is the most affordable and plenty of people with normal bolt ons survive on them. Hope the problem will get fixed! :thumbsup:

Ruiner46

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 CO GT PP
I also had a bad experience with a Mcleod clutch, but mine was on a sprung hub RXT with Mcleod steel flywheel for a T56 magnum swapped car. After initial install, I had a vibration anywhere from 4500 rpm and up. Mcleod was not at all helpful. Their support couldn't even tell me the torque specs or instructions for reassembling the clutch because the sprung hub RXT clutch for a 11-14 GT500 (fits a T56 swap) is not supposed to be disassembled.

Luckily I have a great balancing shop nearby who balanced every part of the clutch/flywheel separately, and then as an assembly. He found that nothing was perfectly balanced, and the way it was assembled from the factory, all of the heavy spots lined up on each part. I guess it was bad luck... I'm at about 300 miles on break-in and I'm still nervous to go full throttle because I'm afraid this thing will end up slipping after all the effort.

OP
OP
Racereds550

Racereds550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Al
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT mt82
I also had a bad experience with a Mcleod clutch, but mine was on a sprung hub RXT with Mcleod steel flywheel for a T56 magnum swapped car. After initial install, I had a vibration anywhere from 4500 rpm and up. Mcleod was not at all helpful. Their support couldn't even tell me the torque specs or instructions for reassembling the clutch because the sprung hub RXT clutch for a 11-14 GT500 (fits a T56 swap) is not supposed to be disassembled.

Luckily I have a great balancing shop nearby who balanced every part of the clutch/flywheel separately, and then as an assembly. He found that nothing was perfectly balanced, and the way it was assembled from the factory, all of the heavy spots lined up on each part. I guess it was bad luck... I'm at about 300 miles on break-in and I'm still nervous to go full throttle because I'm afraid this thing will end up slipping after all the effort.
I'm so over McLeod and their bs. Yeah the stock stuff will be just fine. My car isn't even tuned. Just a cat back and mid pipe. I hope I can get the funds together for the t56 later this year. We are expecting our second child in August so we'll see how things go with that first lol. Plus we're looking to move closer to my job. It's gonna be a busy year to say the least haha.

Andrew@Lethal

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Vehicle(s)
2003 10th Anniversary Cobra / 2003 Ford Lightning
Sounds like an installation error. Mcleod makes some of the best clutches on the market. You might want to go to a reputable shop for the install.

OP
OP
Racereds550

Racereds550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Al
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT mt82
Sounds like an installation error. Mcleod makes some of the best clutches on the market. You might want to go to a reputable shop for the install.
No matter how well the part is made if it's not balanced it's worthless. McLeod said they don't balance as an assembly, I think I will go with Mantic for the t56 swap after the issues I've had with McLeod. I know I could've had the McLeod balanced, but the unsprung hub was pretty aggressive for daily/street use. I dropped the car off at my local Ford dealer on Thursday to have factory stuff installed. Fingers crossed it solves the issue.

Sponsored
OP
OP
Racereds550

Racereds550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Al
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT mt82
Race any update on your situation?
My apologies, things have been crazy these last few weeks. I got the car back from the dealer and it runs great with the new factory clutch. It's not as smooth as I'd like it to be but definitely night and day. Between the blowfish shifter mount and solid trans mount I definitely get some vibrations through the chassis. Not what I was experiencing prior to new factory clutch but I'll take it. Not sure if I will go through with the bolt ons I was planning for this car anymore. Truthfully I'm considering trading it in. The trans is already clunky and grinds when cold. It was just rebuilt and I have the mt82 cocktail in it too.

NGOT8R

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adrian
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
I just spoke with the owner of a reputable performance shop in Kansas City regarding which clutch to purchase for my ā€˜19 Bullitt when the factory one goes out. My car recently Dynoā€™d at 639 whp and 602 wtq on a 150 hp shot of nitrous on E85. Surprisingly, he told me whenever my clutch goes, to replace it with another factory setup. He also mentioned that heā€™s installed Calimer a few transmissions and said that theyā€™re good, as are the T56 Magnums, but those are heavy. He said the key to helping the factory clutch live was to not slip it or dump it, but rather, release it quickly at about 3800 rpm. Lastly, he urged me to stay away from McLeod RXT with an MT82 trans, as it was too harsh of a clutch for it and would eventually lead to a damaged transmission.
Sponsored

Last edited: