Sponsored

Engine RPM and vacuum gauge flactuations with A/C on + not great noise from compressor.

Kuoper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2017
Hello. Today was the first warm day since I purchased this Mustang GT so I turned the AC on and noticed immediately that RPM and vacuum gauge fluctuates with a/c compressor turning on and off. Also the noise coming from compressor doesn't sound good. Is this a sign of a dying compressor or should I try something else before replacing it? Btw air coming from vents is cold so it works, at least for now.

Here is a link to Youtube video I took today:
Sponsored

sk47

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
Chevy Silverado & Nissan Sentra SE
Hello; I listened to the video. Afraid i did not hear enough to make a call, at least not what i would consider bad noise. Perhaps those with the same setups can better determine the sounds.

A couple of things. One is when teh AC id on some engine management things can happen. The engine may have the idle RPM's bumped up which is normal. If it has electric fans they may turn on.

Last thought. AC systems are somewhat self-contained so that if some part of the internal system goes bad the debris will be circulated into all the system. If the compressor has been going bad my take is not too much chance of saving things by going quickly to repair. That he system is blowing cold is a good sign. Guess what i suggest is to keep running the AC and see what happens as you have little extra to lose.

A point about AC is I have understood it is best to run the AC every so often even in the winter. Modern systems will turn the system on when you select defrost and have the fan on. You can also just run it for a few minutes. I like to turn mine on a couple times a month.

OP
OP

Kuoper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2017
Hello; I listened to the video. Afraid i did not hear enough to make a call, at least not what i would consider bad noise. Perhaps those with the same setups can better determine the sounds.

A couple of things. One is when teh AC id on some engine management things can happen. The engine may have the idle RPM's bumped up which is normal. If it has electric fans they may turn on.

Last thought. AC systems are somewhat self-contained so that if some part of the internal system goes bad the debris will be circulated into all the system. If the compressor has been going bad my take is not too much chance of saving things by going quickly to repair. That he system is blowing cold is a good sign. Guess what i suggest is to keep running the AC and see what happens as you have little extra to lose.

A point about AC is I have understood it is best to run the AC every so often even in the winter. Modern systems will turn the system on when you select defrost and have the fan on. You can also just run it for a few minutes. I like to turn mine on a couple times a month.
Thank you for your thorough answer. Since the air blowing is cold I will continue driving as it is. Maybe the noise from compressor will go away.

sk47

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
Chevy Silverado & Nissan Sentra SE
Hello; A car i owned in the 1990's had an odd AC failure. The compressor was fine but the bearing inside the AC clutch failed. A belt runs the AC compressor but the compressor has to be able to turn off. When the compressor is turned off there is a magnetic clutch (or at least there use to be such) that releases. Then the pulley on the front of the compressor freewheels on a bearing. That bearing went bad on my car.
I bought a set of special pullers and was able to pull and replace than bearing without having to open up the R12 filled system.
The clue was the noise was gone when the AC compressor was running. The noise was bad when running only on the bearing.
Sponsored