Sponsored

Engine Fire due to Clutch Master Cylinder

Shift

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
a Ford
Please check your lines. My line to the clutch master cylinder popped off during a redline shift from 1-2, sprayed fluid all over the back of the hot engine and a small fire resulted. Luckily it went out by itself by the time the Fire department came by. Took over a month going back and forth with Ford before they approved all the repairs, and included a new clutch. Still currently sitting there even after repairs due to o2 sensor going out and on back order. I think the total time for just various repairs has totaled over 6 months in the shop over a 4 year period. Needless to say, I am not confident in keeping this car past the extended warranty period unless it goes the next 4 years without a hitch. It's unfortunate there is no other car like it in the world. I think if I wanted the same kind of engagement and feel, it'd be a GT3 at over 3x the cost. I will say my car is practically new from all the things that have been replaced.
Sponsored

MikeR397

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford GT350R & Raptor; Ferrari 360, Aston Martin Vantage, Porsche Cayenne GTS, Jaguar XFR
Sucks to hear, at least ford is covering stuff. If it was me they would still say clutch is a wear item and not covered ever.

OP
OP

Shift

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
a Ford
Sucks to hear, at least ford is covering stuff. If it was me they would still say clutch is a wear item and not covered ever.
I've got the maintenance plan that covers wear items like the clutch and brakes.

How about attaching a copy of the work order?
Don't have the car back yet

Caballus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350
Please check your lines. My line to the clutch master cylinder popped off during a redline shift from 1-2, sprayed fluid all over the back of the hot engine and a small fire resulted. Luckily it went out by itself by the time the Fire department came by. Took over a month going back and forth with Ford before they approved all the repairs, and included a new clutch. Still currently sitting there even after repairs due to o2 sensor going out and on back order. I think the total time for just various repairs has totaled over 6 months in the shop over a 4 year period. Needless to say, I am not confident in keeping this car past the extended warranty period unless it goes the next 4 years without a hitch. It's unfortunate there is no other car like it in the world. I think if I wanted the same kind of engagement and feel, it'd be a GT3 at over 3x the cost. I will say my car is practically new from all the things that have been replaced.
Thanks for the heads up. Hope everything works out.

Would you have called the fire department if you had an extinguisher in the car--assuming you did not. Or was it too big to address yourself.

Sponsored

OP
OP

Shift

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
a Ford
Thanks for the heads up. Hope everything works out.

Would you have called the fire department if you had an extinguisher in the car--assuming you did not. Or was it too big to address yourself.
Would have called regardless. I didn't know the actual extent of the fire, but I was definitely surprised that it went away on its own after a minute or two. Everyone including Ford was surprised the car didn't burn to a crisp, which is one of the reasons why the back and forth with Ford took so long.

johnny1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Had new a 16 GT350 and 17 GT350
Off subject some but you all need to check the hose where it plugs into the brake fluid reservoir also. It's been discussed on here before. When had my 17 and 18 new both the hose was just barely pushed on reservoir tip. I did as some others did with pictures just to be safe and put a small plastic zip tie on end of hose after pushing it all the way onto reservoir tip just snug enough it couldn't move on tip and another zip tie put around hose about half way down hose to another connection place and pulled the hose into being more straight then at so much of an angle. It was as though the hose was a little to short. Don't know if they corrected that on future year models.

OP
OP

Shift

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
a Ford
Off subject some but you all need to check the hose where it plugs into the brake fluid reservoir also. It's been discussed on here before. When had my 17 and 18 new both the hose was just barely pushed on reservoir tip. I did as some others did with pictures just to be safe and put a small plastic zip tie on end of hose after pushing it all the way onto reservoir tip just snug enough it couldn't move on tip and another zip tie put around hose about half way down hose to another connection place and pulled the hose into being more straight then at so much of an angle. It was as though the hose was a little to short. Don't know if they corrected that on future year models.
Thanks, going to relay this info to the dealer so they can check this out while it's there.

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt, 2020 GT350R, 2020 Explorer ST
Don't know if they corrected that on future year models.
Nope. Both my 2019 and 2020 had signs of the hose coming off the connection. My 2019 is a daily driver, and I tried an experiment of pushing the hose back in line and leaving it alone for about 2000 miles. I would check the hose connection every Friday afternoon when I got home from work. The hose did not move, and it makes me wonder if there is something being missed in the QA inspection during assembly. I have since placed a zip tie and only check when I check my oil.

johnny1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I believe this has been mentioned before also. But if you look at pictures of the brake fluid reservoir on all the newer Mustangs including the GT but not the GT350 the reservoir has a different shape and appears to be wider than the one one the GT350 therefore that hose would be long enough to fit all the way onto the tip of reservoir whereas it looks as though since the GT350 is not as wide they used the same hose as other Mustang models and it just isn't quite long enough. I've never read of any one having one come off but you can easily see its not on all the way and looks as though it could come loose at any time.

Sponsored

Rubyred17

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
Is this the hose you are referring to? My 2017 hose was way back on the connection before I pushed it forward. How does it retain itself on there?

F6CF748A-EAFF-4FB1-9A1E-7B76AF189572.jpeg

Tank

9/11 - Never Forget
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
G0853
Sorry that happened to you @Shift . I’m glad it didn’t get out of hand and that you’re ok.

This connection has been long known to be suspect. It’s on the list of priority checks in the Basics sticky. Anyone not knowing this should read up on the collective knowledge of 5 years of member contributions.

NGOT8R

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adrian
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
The hose was coming off of my 2019 Bullitt which only has 471 miles on it. I purchased the Steeda clutch fluid reservoir kit to correct the problem. This thread just reminded me that I have yet to install it. I certainly will install it before I drive the car again though.

OP
OP

Shift

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
a Ford
Sorry that happened to you @Shift . I’m glad it didn’t get out of hand and that you’re ok.

This connection has been long known to be suspect. It’s on the list of priority checks in the Basics sticky. Anyone not knowing this should read up on the collective knowledge of 5 years of member contributions.
Funny thing is I remember seeing that thread a long time ago, and I guess I got sidetracked and ended up forgetting to check it. Sure paid the price. Thanks for what you do by the way.

The hose was coming off of my 2019 Bullitt which only has 471 miles on it. I purchased the Steeda clutch fluid reservoir kit to correct the problem. This thread just reminded me that I have yet to install it. I certainly will install it before I drive the car again though.
That's a to-do after the extended warranty period ends, and if I end up keeping the car.

johnny1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Is this the hose you are referring to? My 2017 hose was way back on the connection before I pushed it forward. How does it retain itself on there?

F6CF748A-EAFF-4FB1-9A1E-7B76AF189572.jpeg
Not sure if there is a lip on the end of reservoir tip thats supposed to hold it or not but both my cars had some sort of a bit of glue substance that was brown around where hose goes on tip. But thats the brake reservoir hose I was referring to to check also.
Sponsored