I am legend.
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bray
Vehicle(s)
2020 Twister Orange GT350
Vehicle Showcase
I plan on doing mine like Corey's video. Keep it under 4k and engine brake for 100 miles. Then enjoy it lightly for 1k.
Sponsored

dg108

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT350
I did the first 100 mile thing but just broke 1000 miles and it's been to redline a few times, just not extended time. No oil burned at all. As has been said on here, it appears you get a good engine or you don't.

RPDBlueMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350 Heritage Edition, Civic Type R
I plan on doing mine like Corey's video. Keep it under 4k and engine brake for 100 miles. Then enjoy it lightly for 1k.
I was going to do mine the same way, and I wish there were more videos about how to do this.

lateinthegame

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350
Just landed a 2020 GT350R it is new and in factory wrapping. I plan on keeping it forever! And I want to know what the proper breakin is and what I should do to make sure I give this vehicle the best care and attention. I am a first time owner of a sports car so any advice or counsel would be well received. Thank you, all in advance for help.
Drive it in the country backroads for 51 miles and then drive back home...... DONE

UpTop

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Am broke
One of my buddies, also with a 2020 R, went easy for the first 100 miles. Then changed the oil and tracked it the next day. Car has 4k track miles on it and is solid as can be. I think these engines are hit or miss reliability wise

Sponsored

526 HRSE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 Grabber Blue
Vehicle Showcase
One of my buddies, also with a 2020 R, went easy for the first 100 miles. Then changed the oil and tracked it the next day. Car has 4k track miles on it and is solid as can be. I think these engines are hit or miss reliability wise
I'd think you'd be safe to bet that the majority of the engine failures have come from guys like your friend. Kind of a co-morbidity of COVID. The virus won't kill you by itself but mistreating your health for a lifetime will sure give it a better chance.

Don't be a statistic.

460Fred

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Fred
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜19 GT350 (sold)
Yeah, don't do this.
I think this is a good idea because you will vary the revs.
My new car was purchased about 125 miles from my home. Good thing I had to go through Los Angeles to get back home. Varying revs was the norm in traffic so I got a good break in even though the car had 43 miles when purchased.

raiderjatt02

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jessie
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 - Track Pack; 1995 GT - Saleen Clone
Yup, a nice backroads drive is probably one of the best ways to break it in. Constantly going through the gears, RPMs varying all over the place, engine braking, very little time WOT. As long as you keep your RPMs in check and don't keep it at 7-8k all the damn time this would be way better than driving on the freeway.

Sponsored

galaxy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
I'd think you'd be safe to bet that the majority of the engine failures have come from guys like your friend. Kind of a co-morbidity of COVID. The virus won't kill you by itself but mistreating your health for a lifetime will sure give it a better chance.

Don't be a statistic.
yeah, I wouldnā€™t take that bet. Like I mentioned, it appears that the day one track rats are the ones not having issues.

and like everyone else said, a hard mountain drive would be the best thing you could do.

460Fred

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Fred
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜19 GT350 (sold)
I followed the first 57 mile break in because the car had 43 on it upon delivery.
Hit 1K today and now have 1100+ miles. As others have said, the oil level is the same today as delivery 19 days ago.
What a blast and canā€™t wait to rip it tomorrow. Oil change next week.

CoolHandLuke

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sean
Vehicle(s)
2020 Shelby GT350R (Chassis #LR001)
Just landed a 2020 GT350R it is new and in factory wrapping. I plan on keeping it forever! And I want to know what the proper breakin is and what I should do to make sure I give this vehicle the best care and attention. I am a first time owner of a sports car so any advice or counsel would be well received. Thank you, all in advance for help.
Oh hell, not this topic....again.

lonegunman

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350
I would seriously consider not flogging the crap out of you new prize until after 1,000 miles of varied driving and an oil change. Keeping it under 5,000 rpm, allowing it to come up to full oil temp of over 180 degrees before pushing it and doing a slower break-in of the engine and drive train. An oil change after break-in miles and before 8,250 is cheap insurance for a long and happy engine life, in my opinion.

Other opinions vary of course and beating your new car to death at 450 miles is an option for people who only drive 150 miles a year. I drove mine home from the dealer, 1,400 miles doing varied rpms and gears to work the engine on the drive, got an oil change and then tested out the rev limit, zero issues. My car doesn't use a drop of oil and it's got over 3,300 miles on it so far, it is a 2019.

Oil is cheap, break-in oil will have all sorts of bits of metal, gasket and various gunk from the built process. When you change it, bring a ziploc bag and ask for the old filter cartridge and O-rings. Take a close look at the filter, future filters should have far less tiny metal flecks and gasket goop bits in them.

Enjoy your new car, I plan on getting 60K in five years and enjoying my car under the warranty, often. I'm not saving it for the next guy and hoping to get rich in 30 years.

BTW, Wide Open Throttle (WOT) in first gear exceeds the speed limit on everything but the freeway. WOT in 2nd gear exceeds the speed limit on the freeway. Enjoy.
Sponsored