Sponsored

End of production of Shelby GT350/R after 2020. Will resale price climb?

ShelbyMilk

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Milk
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350
I dont see how these cars will jump in any significance in the near future. The price for 19/20's from dealers from July until now have gone up about 4k on avg. I have been looking from time to time and im talking about avgs here...there used to be a lot more "new" in the 56-58k range...now they are looking more @ 60-62 range for non r's that is. There will always be steal somewhere.

I hope they go up in value but Im sure that is many years off.....if something more special doesn't come along.
Sponsored

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
A lot of guys thought the same thing when the boss 302 ended production back in 2013 only for them to tank in value because of the gt350. So unless Ford comes out with a true next gen high hp N/A engine i wouldn’t lose sleep over it
For the first time ever, you said something I agree with.

RPDBlueMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350 Heritage Edition, Civic Type R
A lot of guys thought the same thing when the boss 302 ended production back in 2013 only for them to tank in value because of the gt350. So unless Ford comes out with a true next gen high hp N/A engine i wouldn’t lose sleep over it
I don't see that happening at all with how the emissions are, Ford may release and higher HP engine but it probably is not going to be N/A. The GT350 could only be sold in the US because of how bad the emissions were. Maybe if they put the Aluminator engine in the next Mustang GT but the engine alone cannot be sold nationwide because of emissions.

Last edited:

gixxersixxerman

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Thomas
Vehicle(s)
2020 GR Supra
I dont think resale prices will climb, i do think they will hold their value better for sure. I see people talking about 1st year or last year and think its going to make a difference, hell the C8 pages are full of it with their this is the first year stuff. down the road there will be those that care a little, but for the most part on a mass produced car majority wont care if its 1st or last year of production.

stanglife

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
1993 Coyote Coupe
First or last..will not matter. It's what happens in the industry that will steer it. Certainly, this is an excellent drivers car that will remain desirable.... The only thing that will boost (more likely just sustain) its value, IMO, is an announcement that indicates STRONGLY that this type of experience will no longer be available. Here are some things that have a very real possibility of happening in the next handful of years.

This one already happened:
- no more FPC

Then there's the future:
- no more N/A (or at least fewer technology improvements result in not much/any power increases)
- no more manual transmission
- govt requires more electric
- Ford goes all electric

Now...the cars aren't immune to going the other way, either! Here are a few things that could kill it:
- Ford stops production of the car or otherwise goes out of business (parts shortage)
- big brother gets to the point where we simply can not drive the cars any differently than a Prius
- The electric push causes fuel prices to increase?
- Society reduces "going places" and the market floods with used fun cars

I think these are the last and closest thing to a modern analog Mustang...if you can put those together. I mean, yes, the rack is electric and the gauges receive a digital signal...but everything is made to look and feel analog. It's why I didn't complain that they didn't DCT it... At one point, I would have wanted the digital dash but now I feel the plain dash is very purposeful as are the other down-to-business aspects of the car. My wild ass guess for the future?... - I think the cars are overpriced as new...I think all cars are right now. An R is an 80k Mustang. I think these will settle in the next 5-10 years... 350 at $40k and Rs at $50-$55k. Unless the miles are nuts, I cant see any non-r or R going for less than stated.

Sponsored

RPDBlueMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350 Heritage Edition, Civic Type R
I mean, yes, the rack is electric and the gauges receive a digital signal...but everything is made to look and feel analog. It's why I didn't complain that they didn't DCT it... At one point, I would have wanted the digital dash but now I feel the plain dash is very purposeful as are the other down-to-business aspects of the car. My wild ass guess for the future?... - I think the cars are overpriced as new...I think all cars are right now. An R is an 80k Mustang. I think these will settle in the next 5-10 years... 350 at $40k and Rs at $50-$55k. Unless the miles are nuts, I cant see any non-r or R going for less than stated.
Another thing I like is that they didn't put in a digital gauge screen. Some will complain but I like the analog gauges better and would opt for them even if it was an option because it really flows well with the analog oil gauges, its the same font, same color and it fits the interior. I think its funky to have a digital gauge right next to the old school oil temp and oil pressure gauges.

Its definitely a nitpick for sure but its the nice little things like that, that make me like the retro styling.

Last edited:

thill444

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 SS1LE (sold 18 GT350)
Well Covid has wrecked havoc on the new/used market right now and we are clearly in a bubble. So it's too early to tell what will happen to resale value once the bubble subsides but my personal opinion is Ford made a lot of these cars. Maybe if you have an R in a particular color/spec with very low miles and keep it OEM.

Personally I just don't buy cars to baby them and worry about resale later. I drive the piss out of them, sell them, and then buy the next thing.

The only concern for resale (outside of the high volume built) is the FPC engine issues. While I think the issues are overblown, once many of these cars are no longer under warranty it could be perceived as an issue and it could negatively affect resale. Porsche went through this with the IMS bearing issues (which was also overblown, unless it affected you).

Buy the car if you love the car and I would say resale is a secondary concern. Nobody can predict the future.

16Kobra

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350R
Vehicle Showcase
First or last..will not matter. It's what happens in the industry that will steer it. Certainly, this is an excellent drivers car that will remain desirable.... The only thing that will boost (more likely just sustain) its value, IMO, is an announcement that indicates STRONGLY that this type of experience will no longer be available. Here are some things that have a very real possibility of happening in the next handful of years.

This one already happened:
- no more FPC

Then there's the future:
- no more N/A (or at least fewer technology improvements result in not much/any power increases)
- no more manual transmission
- govt requires more electric
- Ford goes all electric

Now...the cars aren't immune to going the other way, either! Here are a few things that could kill it:
- Ford stops production of the car or otherwise goes out of business (parts shortage)
- big brother gets to the point where we simply can not drive the cars any differently than a Prius
- The electric push causes fuel prices to increase?
- Society reduces "going places" and the market floods with used fun cars

I think these are the last and closest thing to a modern analog Mustang...if you can put those together. I mean, yes, the rack is electric and the gauges receive a digital signal...but everything is made to look and feel analog. It's why I didn't complain that they didn't DCT it... At one point, I would have wanted the digital dash but now I feel the plain dash is very purposeful as are the other down-to-business aspects of the car. My wild ass guess for the future?... - I think the cars are overpriced as new...I think all cars are right now. An R is an 80k Mustang. I think these will settle in the next 5-10 years... 350 at $40k and Rs at $50-$55k. Unless the miles are nuts, I cant see any non-r or R going for less than stated.
Being my wife has an 18 EB with digital dash, I get to experience it. Not a fan of digital dash, I like the analog for the reason of the gauges I want to see are on the dash. The digitial dash has a limit of 3 gauges.

Seven

HPDE for me
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 F150 Platinum Diesel FX4 / '16 Audi S3 Viper Green APR Stage 3+ / '19 GT350R / 17 Camaro SS 1LE 575whp all motor (sold) / '15 C7Z 650whp (sold)
Rs will be valuable (specifically 20s and 19s w/ gen 2 voodoo) but 350s will not be.
I don't think they'll go UP in value, but will HOLD value well. We probably won't see the hold for 6-18 months though

stanglife

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
1993 Coyote Coupe
Rs will be valuable (specifically 20s and 19s w/ gen 2 voodoo) but 350s will not be.
I don't think they'll go UP in value, but will HOLD value well. We probably won't see the hold for 6-18 months though
I like to think of it as a floor. Can you see a 16 GT350 non-r but with track package every selling for less than X? At some point, they hit a mark where enthusiasts just cant resist buying or for that matter, they don't want to sell them, either. If I had an incredible car like that and the values hit $40k (for example) - I cant see selling it - which will keep the values up.

I still say $40k for non-r and $55k for R. Of course, miles, condition and use will affect certain cars +/-. For example, a 16 with higher than average miles and that has been tracked quite a bit might be a little lower than that...same car with engine replacement, maybe a little lower. Buying from original owner, maybe bring a few more dollars...all par for the course when buying an enthusiast car.

Keeping accurate records has always been a great thing for enthusiast cars and I think it's especially true with the 350.

Sponsored

thill444

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 SS1LE (sold 18 GT350)
I saw values last year of some 16's in the high 30's and some 17's in the low $40's. I almost bought a 2017 late last year that had 5xxx miles and they wanted $42K for it. Clean title no accidents. Needed a set of new rear tires (which the seller said he would cover) and that was it.

Covid/car shortages have caused a spike but I think in 3-6 months we will see things change.

stanglife

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
1993 Coyote Coupe
I saw values last year of some 16's in the high 30's and some 17's in the low $40's. I almost bought a 2017 late last year that had 5xxx miles and they wanted $42K for it. Clean title no accidents. Needed a set of new rear tires (which the seller said he would cover) and that was it.

Covid/car shortages have caused a spike but I think in 3-6 months we will see things change.
Make sense. The 16 tech pack will be the cheapest and if it has a bunch of miles on it, sure. There are 17s now for sale 43k and up. Most of the the miles/color/other factors will move the bar up and down but when/if a reasonable mile, track pack, one owner car hits the 30s, I bet they get snapped up instantly. I'd consider one for a daily! :)

There will always be "that car" which got away - it doesn't really set the market, though. Where are the guys with the auction results at? :)

PS - just thought of something else. At some point..and I can imagine that 30-something could be that point...the car could be worth more in parts.

Demonic

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Austin
Vehicle(s)
GT350R
Every car forum has a bunch of people who are convinced their car will be something special in the future. History has shown them to be almost always be wrong. Just to put things in perspective, if in 2007 you took the $150k you were going to spend on a Ford GT, that epic 'investment' car, and instead put it in Apple stock, you'd have $7 million now.

stanglife

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
1993 Coyote Coupe
Every car forum has a bunch of people who are convinced their car will be something special in the future. History has shown them to be almost always be wrong. Just to put things in perspective, if in 2007 you took the $150k you were going to spend on a Ford GT, that epic 'investment' car, and instead put it in Apple stock, you'd have $7 million now.

You’re not wrong. Cars are rarely an investment but are commonly the second most expensive purchase someone makes. We all like to think we aren’t pissing money away. It’s all just speculation but based solely on the incredible media and enthusiast reception of the 350 (not because people think that it’s collectible due to a nameplate), many believe it has a better chance than most to retain more value. I believe that most people don’t reasonably expect it to appreciate.

Yourinvestment example was a little extreme but I get what your saying.

Alain

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alain
Vehicle(s)
2016 Challenger Hellcat / 2019 350R #413
I think we can all agree that a regular 350 will never be as valuable as an R.

This is the way I look at this, take the Demon. If I remember correctly, 3300 were made in one model year. Those things are going for a pretty penny right now even though dodge is now making the Red Eye and the Super Stock which are both within spitting distance of the Demon in power and technology.

Compare that to the 350R. If you take all the 350Rs that were made from 2015-2020 they amount to a little over 3300 cars (not sure exactly, too lazy to do the exact math).

Here is my argument, why would an R not become as valuable as a Demon or at the very least, hold it's value ?? Does the fact that the R was manufactured over a 6 year run as opposed to a 1 year run have any impact on its value?
Sponsored