Sponsored

End of production of Shelby GT350/R after 2020. Will resale price climb?

RPDBlueMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350 Heritage Edition, Civic Type R
I think we can all agree that a regular 350 will never be as valuable as an R.

This is the way I look at this, take the Demon. If I remember correctly, 3300 were made in one model year. Those things are going for a pretty penny right now even though dodge is now making the Red Eye and the Super Stock which are both within spitting distance of the Demon in power and technology.

Compare that to the 350R. If you take all the 350Rs that were made from 2015-2020 they amount to a little over 3300 cars (not sure exactly, too lazy to do the exact math).

Here is my argument, why would an R not become as valuable as a Demon or at the very least, hold it's value ?? Does the fact that the R was manufactured over a 6 year run as opposed to a 1 year run have any impact on its value?

Not an expert on how these things work and what influences the market but classic.com is a pretty good website to see market value I think. I don't think the GT350R would ever be as valuable as the Dodge Demon, the prices of the GT350s have actually gone down since more models have been pumped out and production ramped up. They were at their peak back on 2016 and 2017 but they have gone down and stabilized with the avg price at around 75k. The Dodge Demon has done way better and it has been pretty stable and rising slowly, hasn't dropped below 100k but the GT350 hit its peak at 100k and dropped down and it hasn't been able to go back up.

I also think you shouldn't compare the Demon to the GT350, as the Demon was announced to be an extreme limited special vehicle, while the GT350 was marketed as a very good, raw sports car. The GT350R is just the more extreme version.

I do think that because it was produced over 6 years takes away the limited aspect of it, and does impact its value. With cars like the classic cars like the Plymouth Cuda and the GT500 certain years are way more desirable than the others. A restored 71 Cuda is easily over 100k, but a 70 and 72 is way less I don't think that there were any substantial changes throughout the years that would make it extremely desirable (maybe the 2020 model year because of GT500 steering rack but I don't think the average joe will care about that in the future) except for the Heritage Edition. I know for the classic cars the redesign coupled with the engine options dictated the desirability, the GT350R looks the same and has the same engine throughout its lifecycle, the biggest appeal to the GT350 is the Voodoo engine which they all have.

If I had to guess maybe 2020R or a Heritage edition would fair better than a '17 or '18. Could be wrong though, if I knew this stuff I'd be rich :)
Sponsored

Last edited:

YBLEHSGT350R

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Aaron
Vehicle(s)
2018 Whipple Shelby
Vehicle Showcase
You know, Shelbyā€™s have been modified for decades, some by people, by dealers, or over the counter from Shelby by enthusiastic owners and racers. Some are rare and some are quite common, I would keep records and a history on your vehicle. My example is 2018 GT350R VIN 00350, forged bottom, Whipple prototype blown, heated/cooled prototype Recaros, painted stripes on CF hood, deck, and exposed wheels. There is a value story behind special units and my package, color, stripe was just 26 production units and my ā€œOne Of Oneā€ rarity was created to perfection. From inception these machines were designed to be driven and have been the envy of most car shows for 50+ years. Donā€™t forget that the dealers greed and $10,000 - $50,000 profit mark up on these cars doesnā€™t automatically increase the true value.

dom418

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
(2) 20 HEP-R, 20 Velocity Blue 350R, 20 Lime 350R
Personally I donā€™t think we will see them appreciate, even the R. At best the R will hold, but I also think that market hasnā€™t hit bottom yet. They are too new. I think low mile Rs will be selling in the mid $50s in the next 5 years.

I think that will be the bottom on the R market.

I also do not buy that the 19/20s will be worth any more than other years. While the 19/20 have upgraded features, some have complained about the steering feedback with the new knuckle, and the red seat inserts are not for everyone. Also there are documented engine failures with the gen 2 as well.

So in my opinion there will be buyers for the gen 1 and gen 2.

lonegunman

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350
Will resale values climb? Probably not. Could resale values stabilize at a higher level, I do hope so.

If Ford does not make another flat plane crank car, this will be a hard to find car in a few years. Some GT350's are going to rot away in garages having never been driven more than to a car show once in a while. The hard tracked cars will eventually get trashed and more than a few will be heavily modded until they are not particularly desirable as collectors. Over time the numbers will drop by 25% as cars get destroyed, wrecked or whatever.

But, decent original cars with decent service records and moderate miles will always be desirable in my opinion. That being said, I don't expect to turn a profit, just to lose money slower than usual on a car.

I had a 1986 SVO Mustang, competition prep car with leather seats. One of six ever made and Ford made far fewer SVO's than GT350. The car was well kept, well maintained, always garaged and appraised very highly for a car with almost 80,000 on the clock. Unlike EVERY other SVO I had ever seen, it had not had the odometer rolled back by 40,000 miles. I had six MCA judges come to inspect it at one time or another and it was photographed and recorded for the Forza racing game at one point. Those guys judged this Fox body class of Mustangs and had never actually seen a comp prep car in person. It was and still is all but worthless in the collector car market.

There is/was a huge difference between the assumed value and what people would actually pay for one. After it sold, the guy who bought it posted pics on Facebook and at least 100 idiots whined that they had wished they too could find a car like that in that great condition. Same Facebook group where it had been listed for sale for two years.

Gt350_3143

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Salem
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜09 Sl63 AMG
People who wants to buy it and they don't, they will regret it in near future. Because this is considered the last NA FPC engine in the world. Thats true that there are about 20k GT350 made,but that is no more build except those. So go snd get it today and keep that Jewel in your garage

Sponsored

Alain

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alain
Vehicle(s)
2016 Challenger Hellcat / 2019 350R #413
I don't think it is far fetched to compare the 350R to the Demon in the context of this conversation.
Yes, Dodge did a hell of a job marketing the Demon and all the variants of the Hellcat for that matter. Hell, they got me to buy my Hellcat a day after I saw their "predator" commercial with the Phil Collins song "In the air tonight". I think the marketing force that Dodge put behind the Demon was a major contributing factor to making that car feel like "an extreme limited special vehicle".

Ford and GM are terrible at marketing their muscle cars. If I wasn't part of these forums, I probably wouldn't know much about the 350R, the new 500, the ZL1 1LE or even the new C8.

But, the people who will be looking to buy these cars down the road will be people like us. People who know what these cars are capable of, what makes them special.

Remember, you can no longer buy a new Corvette with a manual transmission, right now that doesn't sound crazy to us because it just happened. But wait, 10 years or so from now, manual transmissions and NA V8 engines will be highly sought after.

I agree that it will be unlikely that the 350R cars will gain much value, still a possibility. At the very least, the 350R will not depreciate as much as the regular 350.

key01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 now gone to a great home.
No matter how many thousands are out there, I rarely see one in the wild besides me. I can pass dozens of Porscheā€™s before I see one GT350, and I live in a major metro area. As production is over they can only become more rare, and I like having a car that is not seen all of the time.

TENTEX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 350 GT R
No matter how many thousands are out there, I rarely see one in the wild besides me. I can pass dozens of Porscheā€™s before I see one GT350, and I live in a major metro area. As production is over they can only become more rare, and I like having a car that is not seen all of the time.
Yep. Compare the GT350 to the other brands on Autotrader and the likes and see how many of each on listed. The GT350 is fewer by far

JR369

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT500 Iconic
I think Biden coming out last night and committing to transition out of oil just help our chances lol!
I think he screwed his. Can you imagine a country without pony cars?

Sponsored

anacar312

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
HEP R Chassis LR268
I think the 350 is a very special car and especially the R. It feels like a "moment in time" type car. If you look at other markets (e46 M3 is a market I follow) it's the manual coupes that command a premium. Same goes for Ferrari. While out of my league I if you look at the 360, 430, 550, 575..... anything with a gated shifter commands a significant premium.
The pattern I'm seeing here are that in the long term it the more engaging "drivers" cars that are holding and in some cases appreciating. The 350s check a lot of boxes. Besopke Engine. World class transmission. Great looks (from the outside, interior may be the only weakness if I'm being super critical). Add the R and there is your exclusivity. Also consider natural attrition to wrecked, heavily modded or high milage cars and that R is looking like a good candidate to NOT be a depreciating asset.. especially if that R is a HEP or BASE model R.

For every action there is an equal but opposite reaction, right? So as technology (and regulation) pushes us forward, a'la Tesla and the like, towards being simple passengers in our own vehicles.... there will still be those same people like us, drivers, that enjoy the act of driving and don't look at a car purely as transportation. It will be those people that will be seeking out those last few relics of the old world with their internal combustion engines that you actually have to steer, shift, and physically drive. I do believe this is the last performance vehicle with naturally aspirated V8 (or likely any amount of cylinders sans forced injection or hybridization) that will be mass produced. Pair that with what seems like the inevitable death of the manual transmission this may really be a car my kids could sell for some good money after I'm gone and buried (in many years God willing).

rmk350

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350, 2018 Ram 3500 DRW
I got my nicely spec'd '19 for 54k, MSRP was 65k. Had 8 miles on it when it was delivered to my house. Immediately had it 2 step corrected, PPF'd, and ceramic coated. Wanted to protect it so I could drive it with-out worry. Have 5000 miles on it now and no issues. Blast to drive on a nice mountain road! I'd say the deal I got will help me not loose money on it anytime soon if I wanted to move into something else. Not gonna do that though. Can't get anything near this car for similar money. Just my 2 cents.

stanglife

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
1993 Coyote Coupe
I got my nicely spec'd '19 for 54k, MSRP was 65k. Had 8 miles on it when it was delivered to my house. Immediately had it 2 step corrected, PPF'd, and ceramic coated. Wanted to protect it so I could drive it with-out worry. Have 5000 miles on it now and no issues. Blast to drive on a nice mountain road! I'd say the deal I got will help me not loose money on it anytime soon if I wanted to move into something else. Not gonna do that though. Can't get anything near this car for similar money. Just my 2 cents.
Thatā€™s way below their cost -Did you have a trade in? Nicely done

RPDBlueMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350 Heritage Edition, Civic Type R
When I was looking at GT350s, around April/May timeframe I saw them for '19s around that much. I was considering getting one as a backup if I couldn't get a Heritage Edition with the options I wanted at MSRP. Alot of them had a $7,500 discount and they were brand new.

rmk350

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350, 2018 Ram 3500 DRW
No, no trade in. It was in Michigan and they had it in showroom for 8 months and the driving season was over. They didn't want to have it their until summer so let it go. Sales manager was awesome to work with. I am really happy and feel like I got a little redemption bc I paid 3k over for my first GT350. LOL
Sponsored