Sponsored

Encountered a Sleeper on the highway last night

Billy1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Coming home last night I was in the left lane of 3 lanes on the highway cruising at 75(ish)mph in a 70 mph limit. Noticed a CR-Z Honda 2 seater in the middle lane and about 10 cars ahead of him was a Honda Insight @year 2000. This is the first hybrid Honda with a 3 cyl. 1.0, 67 hp and weighs in at 1900 lbs. I had to look this up as I am not into hybrids.

Just as I reached the Honda Insight, it pulls into the left lane. I said "Dam, now I am stuck behind some dork that's going to block the left lane." But he was nice about it and pulled back into to the middle lane. in a few seconds. 10 seconds later he blows by me and takes off-still in the middle lane. I might(ha-ha) have been going 80 at that point and the little Honda disappears up the road 15+ car lengths!!

I said "Oh, this can't be" as it shouldn't be able to go that fast. I stomped on it and caught up with him as an Audi A7 cuts him off them moves over. Our exit is coming up in a 1/2 mile and he romps on it and disappears up the road again. I catch up to him again on a long sweeping exit and notice the tires on the front are bigger than the back and looks like slicks!! I figure he had a drag set-up as he didn't take the exit too fast. I noticed the back window had a number scrawled on it, but with all the Covid shots being given out, I thought it might have been that.

He nails it again once the car got straight and takes off. I came up on him as we approached a redlight, blew the horn and asked him "What the hell do you have in that thing?" He laughs, says "It's a V6!" He revs it, bounces it off the limiter and it begins to spit flames. He dumps the clutch and smokes the tires for about 20 feet while rolling at 35 mph!

I am guessing this is the car: =270 whp

The number in the back window? It said "10.73"
Sponsored

LxMike

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang Gt.
Vehicle Showcase
Honda Insight is a very light aerodynamic car. I owned one for about a year. It got awesome mileage but I'd get outrun by loaded dump trucks and school busses.

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
The insight is super light. With a j30 or j35 Honda v6 it would definitely move pretty good.

Strokerswild

Shallow and Pedantic
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Things With Wheels
I looove sleepers. Reminds me of my '66 Ford Custom (i.e. low-end, plain version of the Galaxie) 2-door post that sported a 521" BBF many years ago. Bone stock exterior, body colored steel wheels with poverty caps.

I'm hot after a new GT500 next year, but I'll be damned if I haven't thought about TTing my '15 instead....

OP
OP

Billy1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
I love sleepers too. One of the greatest things about America is the car in the lane beside you might not be what you think it is.

A "less" sleeper story:

A few months ago, on a Saturday night I pulled up to a CTS-V Cadillac with 1 heck of a lopey idle big cam and drag radials-on the street! I stopped by his back passenger window due to traffic and the guy rolls his rear window down to hear my car.

He heard the Gen 3 Coyote and the whine of the A10. He decided to not even look my way when the light turned green. I'm guessing he thought my car was supercharged.
Sponsored