Sponsored

Emissions won't pass because of a possible Tune was installed and turned off the O2 sensors???

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 gt, 2002 FXDWG, 2008 C6,
I agree and get that he has to go through Lund but unless I missed it the OP said that there may be a tune when he failed.
It's got a JLT CAI if it didn't have a tune it wouldn't run.
Yeah I still feel there are too many assumptions being made here…
If you read a few posts up he stated the DEALER trying to smog the car said it's a Lund tune, not the selling dealer. Tells me this dealer has run into locked ECU's before and knows Lund does this.

Unless other tune shops are also locking the entire ECU it has to be lund.
Sponsored

FreePenguin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Donald
Vehicle(s)
17 mustang
Vehicle Showcase

If you read a few posts up he stated the DEALER trying to smog the car said it's a Lund tune, not the selling dealer. Tells me this dealer has run into locked ECU's before and knows Lund does this.

locking the ecu seems sketchy. Ford can still wipe the ecu correct with their ford tools back to stock? I can't see it being so locked ford is locked out. I could be wrong.

MKL_DS

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT PP1

I can’t imagine what identifier this dealership has that confirmed to them that the vehicle is currently tuned by Lund. I’m sure it’s possible that it is, but again, there are many assumptions being made here.

OP, what is the current calibration ID/strategy code in the PCM?

Mastermind46

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Thomas
Vehicle(s)
2012 Nissan Xterra, 2001 Chevy Silverado
I still want to know why anyone would turn off the O2s. That doesn't make sense to me for tuning. You want those reading to make sure your fuel trims and AFR is correct.

OP
OP
flyleclair

flyleclair

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ford Mustang GT PP
I still want to know why anyone would turn off the O2s. That doesn't make sense to me for tuning. You want those reading to make sure your fuel trims and AFR is correct.

The O2 sensors will create a service engine light to turn on which won't pass inspection

I apologize if I misspoke. The dealership doesn't know what tune is installed. They said that LUND is the only company that works with Ford Performance that can provide a stock tune.

Sponsored

OP
OP
flyleclair

flyleclair

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ford Mustang GT PP
So the stock cats are in place?
If so just get a new tune that is properly set up and you’ll be fine. No reason for all this changing parts and flashing back to stock…
It sure looks like them.

Dave2013M3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Mustang GT Base PP1 6MT Rapid Red
What I find interesting, is that new owners for used vehicles don't have to get their car smogged before they're sold. In California I had to smog my car before I sold it which was required by the law.

FreePenguin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Donald
Vehicle(s)
17 mustang
Vehicle Showcase
What I find interesting, is that new owners for used vehicles don't have to get their car smogged before they're sold. In California I had to smog my car before I sold it which was required by the law.
that is such a shit policy. damn. so if it needs work to become compliant, you either fix it, or can't sell it. shithole. you should be able to sell it, and let the other person deal with it.

paulm1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
pau
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT mustang
Took my 2016 Mustang GT with 16k miles in for inspection and emissions test to a Ford dealership. Inspection was no problem but the emissions test didn't pass because they said there is a possible Tune on the car with the O2 sensors bypassed. I purchased the car (not from a Ford Dealership) last August and knew there were some mods on it but had no idea if the previous owner put a tune on it. I called the auto shop where I purchased to see if they can contact the previous owner so I can discuss with them but haven't heard back yet. Does anyone know what my options are at this point?
dont know if this is an option for you but you are in northampton county according to your signature. a chang of address to monroe county where i live, and no emissions inspection.

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
I still want to know why anyone would turn off the O2s.
They turn off the rear sensors to keep the check engine light off.
OP, what is the current calibration ID/strategy code in the PCM?
If it is from Lund it comes up as cannot connect, because Lund scrambles the Cal/Id code. No not even IDS can connect to it. If you send the ECU to Dearborn they might be able to wipe it and reinstall an operating system.

I don't know if it is from Lund but I know of several who have had this happen, locked computer and no way to access it, and it has always been a Lund tune.

Info from reading forums and being friends with a few Ford mechanics.

I think it is shit that someone would sell a tuned car without the original flashing device.

Sponsored

pt's21

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
21 Mustang GT PP MT, Wife's 20 Mustang GT A10
Another route:
Ford ECUs are available on the big internet auction site for approx. $250 (I think IDs would have to match). Some key/security programming would probably have to be done by a good automotive locksmith, or dealership.

With the above performed, you would have a choice of a) programming for installed mods with O2 sensors included (now illegal to do otherwise, at least in my state) or, b) return any or all mods to stock and program or not program per modes retained. If it has no cats, electronic O2 sensor simulators may pass smog.

Once pass smog, and having two ECUs, you would then have multiple options.

Note: N Carolina has smog (via OBD port) and no smog counties. I live in a no smog county. I scratch my odometer miles on my registration card, walk in a particular inspection shop, and walk out with my fresh inspection sheet and my wallet $13.60 lighter. Shop operator never gets off his stool.

OP
OP
flyleclair

flyleclair

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ford Mustang GT PP
dont know if this is an option for you but you are in northampton county according to your signature. a chang of address to monroe county where i live, and no emissions inspection.
Monroe and Carbon County have no emissions which is nice. It would be exempt if it was driven less than 5k miles since last inspection.

Dave2013M3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
that is such a shit policy. damn. so if it needs work to become compliant, you either fix it, or can't sell it. shithole. you should be able to sell it, and let the other person deal with it.

The issue is registering the vehicle. You can't register it without a smog. If you buy it with a non-operational than you don't have to have it smogged, you just can't park it on a public street.

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
The issue is registering the vehicle. You can't register it without a smog. If you buy it with a non-operational than you don't have to have it smogged, you just can't park it on a public street.
Glad I don't live in Cali.

Dave2013M3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)